Rewatching TekWar - Fun show

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Over the past couple of weeks I have been giving TekWar a rewatch. The four TV movies and most of the episodes of the series are on YouTube, and I own the series on DVD.

TekWar is definitely a 90s era Canadian produced SciFi show. It also has 90s era computer graphics which when used to represent them being in the VR "matrix like" computer network world where hackers operate can be comical.

On the other hand, it has solid writing and acting. The scripts actually foretell pretty accurately a number of things we have today like:

- smartphones
- eCommerce
- auto software like Apple Car and Android Auto
- Electric and hybrid cars
- Interactive shopping through a smart TV interface

And a few more.

Plot wise, it is definitely a "police procedural" inside the science fiction premise and coating. Our heroes work for a private security firm that frequently interacts with the police and other law enforcement agencies, and in between working on stamping out "Tek" (a highly addictive and dangerous virtual reality rig that is a lot like a narcotic) they also handle other high tech crimes, interact with the hacker community a good deal and even venture into realms such as whether androids are people and deserving of human rights (among other things).

Worth the rewatch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Over the past couple of weeks I have been giving TekWar a rewatch. The four TV movies and most of the episodes of the series are on YouTube, and I own the series on DVD.

TekWar is definitely a 90s era Canadian produced SciFi show. It also has 90s era computer graphics which when used to represent them being in the VR "matrix like" computer network world where hackers operate can be comical.

On the other hand, it has solid writing and acting. The scripts actually foretell pretty accurately a number of things we have today like:

- smartphones
- eCommerce
- auto software like Apple Car and Android Auto
- Electric and hybrid cars
- Interactive shopping through a smart TV interface

And a few more.

Plot wise, it is definitely a "police procedural" inside the science fiction premise and coating. Our heroes work for a private security firm that frequently interacts with the police and other law enforcement agencies, and in between working on stamping out "Tek" (a highly addictive and dangerous virtual reality rig that is a lot like a narcotic) they also handle other high tech crimes, interact with the hacker community a good deal and even venture into realms such as whether androids are people and deserving of human rights (among other things).

Worth the rewatch.

Don't forget the corny humor! This is NOT a serious show...just saying. I did like it a whole lot though. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Don't forget the corny humor! This is NOT a serious show...just saying. I did like it a whole lot though. :)

Good point, I should have mentioned the corny humor when I mentioned the corny visuals.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good point, I should have mentioned the corny humor when I mentioned the corny visuals.

We need a show like that on the air right now. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Very much so. Too much of what we get now is either way too dark or pure fluff. No happy medium.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Very much so. Too much of what we get now is either way too dark or pure fluff. No happy medium.

I do not have high hopes for the new MacGuyver show coming soon. It looks more like they want it to be seen as serious. And there is no Farscape or Ceopatra 2000 or Firefly to watch. I would love to see a reboot of TekWar!

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I can't believe that the blowhard William Shatner came up with the idea for this show. Not to mention he founded a CGI company called C.O.R.E to design some of those affects.

Torri Higginson is a hoot playing a possible cyborg. I noticed that some of the epis have been mounted on "You Tube", so I will give them a look over the weekend.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There's more than one SG actor/actress in this show. Torri Higginson and Lexa Doig got their starts on this show.

And yes, it is pretty surprising that William Shatner conceived of this. IIRC Shatner was trying to cross Star Trek with TJ Hooker (which he was starring in at the time). He partnered with another author (Ron Goulart) who ghost wrote the novels and added the cyberpunk setting.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
There's more than one SG actor/actress in this show. Torri Higginson and Lexa Doig got their starts on this show.

And yes, it is pretty surprising that William Shatner conceived of this. IIRC Shatner was trying to cross Star Trek with TJ Hooker (which he was starring in at the time). He partnered with another author (Ron Goulart) who ghost wrote the novels and added the cyberpunk setting.

It isn't amazing how you think that an actor becomes famous over night, then you do a search and you see that the person has been around for 5, ten years. Even appearing in shows you faithfully watched, never noticing them appear in your favourite shows.