REWATCH (8/6/2017): Star Trek: The Next Generation

Discussion in 'TV Series and Miniseries Rewatches' started by Overmind One, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

I was going to rewatch Voyager for the 5th time (the entire 7 seasons), but decided to do it with The Next Generation instead. Many interesting things going on! The first time we meet the Ferengi in Season 1, episode 8, their ships are not only as powerful as the Federation Galaxy Class starships, but they have a unique whip-like energy weapon which makes them formidable. They are definitely more badass than we see in Deep Space Nine.

Kreechta.jpg

WepMisc42.jpg

What happened to them to make them the buffoon-like greedy trolls in DS9?

2. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

I guess over time the federation became more powerful and the Ferengi got left behind.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  3. Joelist

Joelist I'm showing this for a reason! Staff Member

That change actually occurred in TNG. DS9 just adopted the TNG portrayal. As you watch the show you'll see the change.

4. PussyGalore

PussyGalore Faster than a scalded child!

What happened you ask? The writers were clearly anti-semitic pricks who simply morphed the Ferengis from hateful, war-mongering Jews to hateful, bumbling, avaricious Jews. The traits may have changed but the anti-semitism remained intact.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Overmind One

It wouldn't be so bad if the parts weren't also played by real Jews.

6. Overmind One

Season 1 of TNG was not very good. :( I don't remember it being so bad. Counselor Troi was particularly bad, because she was a member of the main crew and she seemed so much like an add-on. Sorta like those big wings on four cylinder cars that can't even break 80mph. She is traipsing around wearing tons of makeup and weird sultry outfits, making out with alien men and so forth. And her acting is so bad! Over the run of TNG, I think Troi has made out with more partners than any of the other characters. Perhaps ALL of the other characters combined. She made out with Worf, Riker, and lost a fiance to some infected woman and it didn't phase her at all.

73023b86f1154be8255ffabc518ead52.jpg Deanna_Troi,_Skant_Uniform.jpg

But I noticed that the miniskirt uniform disappeared rather quickly in later seasons. And Wesley wasn't as annoying as in later seasons. I had forgotten that Riker had become a Q for a short time.

7. PussyGalore

Troi was horrible. It's obvious that the writers were fumbling with her character from the very start. And through the entire run of the show they never seemed to get a firm grasp on what she was there for and/or what she was doing. She was almost always extraneous within the story. Her empath powers never really amounted to much and she was always kinda useless. I mean, the bitch was so worthless she couldn't even make a decent cup of coffee using a voice-activated replicator.

Besides, you know Troi never got a bikini wax or shaved her armpits. You can just tell by looking at her. Everything from the neck down is a jungle. No doubt Troi had a beard between her legs that Rasputin would have envied. Talk about disgusting. It's kind of sad that even in the 25th century Betazoids were no more hygienic than barnyard animals.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Joelist

Troi was a bit of a train wreck and yes the main reason was they never really gave her job as Counselor any proper focus - nor for that matter even explained why she was considered bridge crew. Logically she should have been part of the medical department, reporting up to the Chief Medical Officer (you know, the way they do it on Star Trek Continues).

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Lord Ba'al

She was a telepath/empath so that made her valuable to have on the bridge for the captain when communicating with aliens.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joelist

And yes Season One was not good, and ironically a prime culprit for that was Gene Roddenberry. It's out there on the net how his micromanagement of the writers led to several quitting and a lot of complaints that his "bible" for Star Trek was both overly restrictive and forcing the characters into clumsy and stilted interactions.

Note how in Season Two when he started to relax and especially in Season Three when he handed over authority the show improved a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Joelist

Which was never clearly communicated in the show. Hence her being bridge crew was not explained. Then again, they also never really logically developed her position as Counselor and all we ever saw of her actually doing it was the occasional quick meeting with someone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lord Ba'al

Well yes, but the show wasn't called Star Councelling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Joelist

That would have made a pretty weird show :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. PussyGalore

But that's pretty much what her scenes were, other than when they focused on her own personal, neurotic problems, which were boring as shit (Mommy issues, boyfriend issues, etc.). Watching a psychotherapist go through her day really isn't that exciting it turns out, go figure. She should have been lost in a transporter malfunction by the time season 2 rolled around. The writers really dropped the ball on that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Joelist

This made me remember the scene from the second part of Redemption when Data's first officer on the ship he was assigned to command says that just like a Klingon would not make a good ship's Counselor an android is not good for Captain.....]

I want to see a Klingon Ships Counselor! If DS9 had not foolishly killed him off Gowron would be a perfect one!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. PussyGalore

I suspect every Klingon therapy session would end in a bloody bat'leth skirmish, which would probably make the show fairly entertaining.

17. Overmind One

Gowron was my favorite Klingon. :) Rewatching this series allowed me to see how much Michael Dorn's Worf became a Klingon true to form. Season 1 introduced him as a soft sorta Klingon who had weird bouts of growling or pervy sexual encounters. His hair and presence was nowhere near what he became later.

Season 1

download.jpg

By Season 6

WorfTNG.jpg

Worf largely served as a template for all the Klingons who came later like Martok. But Gowron remained my favorite from the first time he was introduced.

18. Joelist

Yep, Gowron was my favorite too. Ultimately a pragmatist but also a Klingon's Klingon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Overmind One

Season 2 was minor polishing of the future tech dialogues, and more character development. Lots of time seemed to have been spent on naming theoretical elements, explaining some of the technology used on the Enterprise (good stuff based in actual theoretical science), and there was significant character development. I liked meeting K'Ehleyr (kay-lar) for the first time. She was sexy, smart and definitely mostly Klingon. Her and Dorn had good chemistry. She would have made a better B'Elanna in Voyager.
    KEhleyr.jpg

The actress, Suzie Plakson, has been a Klingon, a Vulcan, and a Q (in Voyager) in the series, and she was quite good in those roles IMO. :) The episode "The Emissary" where she was introduced as K'Ehleyr was a good one in Season 2. And another interesting episode in Season 2 was "The Offspring", where Data constructed his "child" LOL. It always bothered me in the series where Data simply names her LOL, but in the episode, Captain Picard says her name is Lal, and that word means "beloved" in Hindi. Well, it does not mean beloved in Hindi, and it's not even close (look it up or ask somebody who speaks it). What's more, I happened upon Brent Spiner surrounded by people taking pictures and asking questions while he was waiting for his car outside a popular Malibu restaurant named Gladstones way back then after the episode had aired, and somebody asked him how he was spelling that character's name and he said "L. O. L., you know like in a chat where you are laughing". This stuck with me, for some reason, and so I always get a tad irritated. But the overall episode was very interesting by the moral commentary it was making.

the-offspring.jpg

It's still not quite there by Season 2's close. The show needed more character development, and to flesh out what the Enterprise was doing out there. I liked the fact that this Enterprise is not on a 5 year mission. It is exploring, but it is also going into familiar space where the Federation offers conferences, lectures and other off-ship aweigh missions to other worlds where at least somebody on the ship knows somebody. It was a very cohesive element to the fabric of the Trek universe which was missing from TOS. We are always aware that there is a military chain of command, and that Starfleet was always in charge...even though Picard was very highly regarded and respected within it. He seems to be the only Captain who was never promoted in Star Trek. Even Riker became a Captain, as did Beverly Crusher. Why was Picard never promoted to Admiral? Kirk and Janeway were. Sisko was promoted to Captain, Kira was promoted to Major, Harry Kim even made Captain. Spock became a Captain, Sulu became a Captain. Just a curiosity. :)

On to Season 3.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 8:23 AM
  20. PussyGalore

Typical Star Trek mistreatment of women and general misogyny run amok. The producers excelled at that. Sure some female characters were portrayed as smart but many of them were either shoved into a tight cat suit to show off their tits and camel toes, or they were made to be infantile and/or idiotic waifs in need of male protection and guidance. Disgusting no matter how you slice it. :icon_neutral: