Review: Sanctuary Ep316 - "Awakening"

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now THAT was the Sanctuary we know and love so well!!!

Two story episode, but both the A and B stories were well done.

The B story was a nice look at Kate, and how she always is a touch melancholy because she never feels like she has truly changed from her past as a smuggler of abnormals. both Will and the Big Guy got good screen time and it was basically a small set episode

The A story was the main event, and yes Tesla is again Sanguine Vampiris. As usual Jonathon Young was a hoot and his interplay with Helen was priceless (there was even a hint that she actually does care about him on a certain level). To say that their scientific curiosity got them (and potentially the whole world) into trouble would be an understatement. Also, remember that if there was one Vampiris (with Court) locked up there are likely others.

In addition, Tesla's infatuation with the Vampire Queen was pretty funny, especially as she clearly thought him inferior (you dont refer to equals as mongrels). And while she did best him in unarmed combat, one does wonder how he would have done were he fully recovered. He also seems to retain his magetism power, and she did underestimate his ingenuity.

Next week looks like the second arc of the season launches in earnest - can't wait.

I should also put in a word here for the show as a whole. Does it have up and down episodes? Yes. But it is also the closest preservation of the spirit of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis we have out there. Considering the show is produced by Amanda Tapping and Damien Kindler (both of Stargate fame) this is unsurprising. What they have created is a character driven fantasy series with a healthy and entertaining dollop of humor. In particular, the show does excellent work on what are called "small set" episodes, where only part of the ensemble cast is typically in play and the plot allows them to show off their acting chops. And they definitely have chops; you can see the stage training in several of them especially Tapping, Jonathon Young (who runs his own theatrical troupe) and Christopher Heyerhadl (who plays both John Druitt and "The Big Guy").

A couple of weeks ago SyFy moved the show from its quite successful Friday 9pm CST slot to Mondays at 8pm CST. Roughly 45% of the viewers haven't followed it yey, and interestingly neither are they viewing the show SyFy put in the Friday slot, as Urban Legends is pulling roughly the same number less in viewers that Sanctuary lost. Please follow it to its new slot, as we finish out Season 3 then await Season 4.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
G

Graybrew1

Good review! :beckettu:

I agree wholeheartedly this episode is going in the right direction.

I enjoyed the show this week. I wonder, if since we did not actually see the Queen die, if she might have escaped? If she did, and she is aware of Hollow Earth, it could bring the story full circle back to a more fulfilling climax to that storyline? Next week's preview don't appear to be going in that direction, but who knows about the future? Now that Kate has fully committed herself to the team it should be interesting to see where they can take her character next.

I look forward to finding out the answers. :biggrin: