Real Humans

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I just came across these promos on youtube after finding out about this show while reading io9. I think it actually looks pretty damn good and the concept itself has loads of potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Py_xFXEUyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKOZoAdhHso

Here's a synopsis for the show:
What happens when robots become so human that they can barely be distinguished from real people? When they can even be our lovers? Real Humans takes place in a parallel world to our own, in which people's lives have been completely transformed by the new generation of robots, the Hubots.
Created by Lars Lundström and directed by Harald Hamrell och Levan Akin, Real Humans is produced by SVT and Matador Films in collaboration with Danmarks Radio and YLE, with funding from Nordisk Film och TV Fond and Nordvisionsfonden.
SVT and Matador Films have also struck a deal with the Shine Group in the UK for format rights and international distribution of the series.
They're used as servants, heavy laborers, company for the lonely and even sex partners. But Hubots also create conflicts - within families, in places of work and among those concerned about public safety. Their intelligence exceeds our own. Are there any jobs left that are not best carried out by a robot? Can they develop feelings of their own? Can a Hubot harm a human being?
Leo and Niska lead a group of rogue Hubots who are fighting for their freedom. But Leo and Niska don't agree on methods. During an escape, Leo's beloved Mimi disappears and Leo leaves the group to find her. At the same time, the Engman family decides to buy a used Hubot, against the mother Inger's wishes - at first. But the Hubot addition to the family, Anita, soon wins her over. A lawyer, Inger soon begins to represent clients who support equal rights for Hubots. Warehouse foreman Roger's life has begun coming apart at the seams. His wife has left him for her Hubot and all of his human coworkers have been replaced by Hubots as well. Roger joins a resistance movement. Behind the everyday facade, a whole new world is coming to life.

The only problem I can see this show having is budget constraints since it is after all a Swedish production (albeit with Danish and Finnish broadcasters contributing some cash) and there's only so much that they can do with what they get. But money isn't everything and movies like Let the Right One In and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo prove that you can do great stuff with a small budget. I do worry that Swedish audiences might not be very big fans of this show since most of our domestic forays into sci-fi have been targeted towards children, but I guess that we'll just have to wait and see.

Tropicana

Council Member
First thoughts - BSG in a what if scenario like what if the Cylons evolved and didn't try to destroy the human race.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Looks interesting, like an adult version of "AI" but without the childish Spielberg crap.

I thought the port at the base of the neck looked a bit cheesy although the rest of the SFX looked quite good I must say. Shame it's not in English because that means it won't be broadcast over here. :(

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
First thoughts - BSG in a what if scenario like what if the Cylons evolved and didn't try to destroy the human race.

Huh. I never really thought about it like that.

Looks interesting, like an adult version of "AI" but without the childish Spielberg crap.

I thought the port at the base of the neck looked a bit cheesy although the rest of the SFX looked quite good I must say. Shame it's not in English because that means it won't be broadcast over here. :(

Blech. I honestly never really liked AI. Spielberg is grossly overrated in my opinion. Sure he's made some great movies, but also a lot of disappointing ones.

Yeah true, but who knows, maybe it'll magically find its way online, with subtitles and all. And of course, should it make a decent amount of money there will be the inevitable remake with triple the budget and a shoddy writer at the helm (I'm betting on Tim Kring).