Raised by Wolves

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't think I'll be a fan

I watched the first episode for free, posted by HBO on youtube. I thought I'd check it out.

Set in the distant future, a small craft with no life support and manned by two androids lands on Kepler 22b-a actual planet, with a small mission- to raise 6 fertilized humans in the hopes of re-generating the human race on a new world

But they are in a race. A large ship full of religious zealots is on its way to the same world and the androids have been tasked to raise the 6 children as atheists. This religious strife is the cause of the final war that made earth uninhabitable

its "ok", its pretty, seems well made, the story really reminds me of something from one of the great sci fi writers of the 50's or so. Like Asimov, or Heinlein or Bradbury..a good story, but imo, one that is best left in a book and not on a screen

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I watched the trailer and I'm on the fence. There's something intriguing about it but also something putting me off. I'll need someone else to give me more info about it before I can be convinced to watch an episode.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I watched the trailer and I'm on the fence. There's something intriguing about it but also something putting me off. I'll need someone else to give me more info about it before I can be convinced to watch an episode.

dont know about there, but here, you can watch ep 1 for free courtesy of HBO

>> like how cbs did with picard and some other shows, to me, doing this smacks of desperation.. like a restaurant giving away appetizers on the street to get you to come in and order a meal

free episode!!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I tried it - thanks but no thanks. Acting is not good and the hostility in the show towards people of faith was palpable.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I tried it - thanks but no thanks. Acting is not good and the hostility in the show towards people of faith was palpable.
It's interesting that the premise of the show is "people of faith" coming to exterminate the infidels but it has the effect of coming across as hostile towards people of faith.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
coming across as hostile towards people of faith

MAYBE.. But the droids and their creators--again what i get from 1 ep-- seemed to be the ones who were under attack in the war on earth and their only choice was to flee with 6 embryos and 2 droids

hoping to start a new culture without belief in religion before the Mithraists got there

BUT, it only took the Mithraist 14yrs to get there.. what kind of culture are you going to make with 6 14 yr olds and 2 droids with now means of defending themselves against 1,000? a weak spot in the writing?

and are viewers, like me, who are into history really the only ones "condemned" to see the irony in the use of the term "Mithraists"? out of all the other old earth religions they could have used, why use the cult of Mithras? not important really though i guess

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
MAYBE.. But the droids and their creators--again what i get from 1 ep-- seemed to be the ones who were under attack in the war on earth and their only choice was to flee with 6 embryos and 2 droids

hoping to start a new culture without belief in religion before the Mithraists got there

BUT, it only took the Mithraist 14yrs to get there.. what kind of culture are you going to make with 6 14 yr olds and 2 droids with now means of defending themselves against 1,000? a weak spot in the writing?

and are viewers, like me, who are into history really the only ones "condemned" to see the irony in the use of the term "Mithraists"? out of all the other old earth religions they could have used, why use the cult of Mithras? not important really though i guess
What is the cult of Mithras?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
What is the cult of Mithra?
I cannot be sure that it is actual Mithraism the writers are using, I can't see why they would not be. In addition, the symbology of the sun on their clothing as a symbol of worship, indicates actual Mithraism

>>>>>.interesting-- would our current world, faced with climate change and increasing temps, in the future turn to worshiping the sun if science fails at a solution to ameliorate the effect of CC on our society?.. hmmm? >>>>>

The cult of Mithra-- the 3 major religions of the western world today may well have been 'Judaism, Mithraism and Islam' if it were not for the persistence of early Christians --actually, if Mithraism had succeeded there probably would be no Islam

It was a religion that impacted society from India to the Mediterranean early on, and later spread throughout the Roman empire. Archaeologists have found Mithratic Bull sacrificing chambers (where the initiates stood under a platform where the bull was killed so they could shower in it's blood) in Britain and Roman Germany and the rest of the Empire

it was a religion where it is known that in post Roman Britain and Gaul, soldiers from warring parties would come together in worship even though they were enemies. if they met in battle, the opponent who knew he would die would say a password so if his foe was a fellow then he was compelled to give him a quick death and to ensure neither his body or property were looted or mistreated.

it was the religion that had many similarities to Christianity,, indeed, since Mithraism was first, it is argued that just as the early Roman Church co opted elements local German (Eoster= Easter, Yule tide = christmas season), Italian (Saturnalia festival where gifts were given and masters served their slaves at the winter solstice) and other pagan religious traditions to make Christianity more acceptable to the newly converted, so too they did with Mithraism:

Virgin birth
Twelve followers
Killing and resurrection
Miracles
Mithras' Birthdate on December 25
Morality
Mankind's savior
Known as the Light of the world

the religion was very popular among Roman and Persian soldiers and other warriors in the ancient world as well as with many aristocrats. The religion goes back quite far to about the 600's BC

It was particularly popular with Roman and Parthian (persian) soldiers at the same time as the rise of Christianity, and if Constantine-- probably himself a Mithratic initiate as a soldier- had not proclaimed Christianity as the empire's religion, the world today may of had a major religion involving fire and sun worship and the sacrificing of bulls

From what I can recall, I think that covers it :)

go here, i may have missed something

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Mithraism