Raccoons! How to handle them when they are not afraid of you?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, it's not quite that bad, and it doesn't rain all the time either...........

Even the rain is afraid. :(

:P

giphy.gif

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Two nights in a row now. The neighbor got a good 10 minute video of the raccoon standing there less than two feet away from him, obviously not afraid. This raccoon has been fed by somebody, and it has associated people with food. It is not anyone from our building, but probably one nearby and that source is either no longer available or has moved (guessing here). The coon is definitely not entirely feral. But I am sure it's mate is. I don't know how to sex them by just looking.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Two nights in a row now. The neighbor got a good 10 minute video of the raccoon standing there less than two feet away from him, obviously not afraid. This raccoon has been fed by somebody, and it has associated people with food. It is not anyone from our building, but probably one nearby and that source is either no longer available or has moved (guessing here). The coon is definitely not entirely feral. But I am sure it's mate is. I don't know how to sex them by just looking.

You wanna sex up some 'coons? Maybe you can see if a few of the boy' coons would be down to run a train up on a few of the bitch 'coons. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Coon footprints on both the upstairs and downstairs walkways. Evidently, the coon wet it's feet and tracked footprints, and you can see them on both walkways. Other neighbors concerned now too. I expect them to show up tonight, and if they do I will take some video. The bold one will probably just stand there and let me film him.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Well who ever is feeding them is a moron . There small and cute but extremely distructive when they need to be . They have hands like a human and can grab and pull just like we can only with a lot more force .
Have you tried saying shooo shoooo shooooo repeatedly ?
Won't work .
Call the animal grabber people to remove them and take them to the wild . There going to eventually start to break into things and you may wake up one morning with one sitting on your chest eating , licking some leftover egg shells ...
Yummm

;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well who ever is feeding them is a moron . There small and cute but extremely distructive when they need to be . They have hands like a human and can grab and pull just like we can only with a lot more force .
Have you tried saying shooo shoooo shooooo repeatedly ?
Won't work .
Call the animal grabber people to remove them and take them to the wild . There going to eventually start to break into things and you may wake up one morning with one sitting on your chest eating , licking some leftover egg shells ...
Yummm

;) ;) ;)

It came again tonight. This time, it was waiting on the walkway and refused to run when we approached it. I could not get a good shot for video, but I did have my phone with me and tried to get some video. It did not come out well. I'm not liking it at all. Every night for almost a week, and footprints proving that it is going upstairs and downstairs looking for food. I always have the window next to my door open for air and for the cats, and it could enter there. I doubt it would, but it could.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Got him! Finally, last night he showed up and headed directly for the pool...and got in the pool to cool off! My neigbor and I both were taking video. The coon found a deflated beachball in the water and was playing with it, as you can see in the video. This was at about 2:00am this morning. Im not going to hurt this friendly coon, and I don't even want to report him anymore. Still, I am not going to feed him because he might just come to my window looking for it later, or worse, try and enter.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Neighbor wants to feed the "poor raccoon" because he's cute. I explained that what hurt this raccoon was feeding him in the first place. With no fear of humans, he becomes a hazard.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member