Question for all you Computer Graphics Experts.

G

Graybrew1

I have been asked to find out about speed painting? Anybody know what this is?
It is related to Computer Graphics.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
N

Never heard of it....but Im a networks expert, not a graphics expert! :)

G

Graybrew1

I am hoping that he graphics experts like OMNI might chime in, she would greatly appreciate that.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
this link to wiki which GF76 posted says pretty much all there is.. and the vide shows the process..

its basicly just fast digital painting using softwares such as Photoshop, i do something similar on my still imagery nowdays but i compose a bunch of dif 3D renders together then paint in additional detail

This is called composition/Paintover

Example:

the breakdown of this image is basicly this,

6 base renders of the ironman mesh, lighting, spec, color, Ambient occlusion etc.
1 back ground free source image (carbombing)
and then several adjustment layers such as motion blur filmgrain etc i also paint on stuff like scratches and dirt i also enhance shadows and generally tinker around till i get something that looks pleasing...

Just so you kan clearly see how much i actually painted on this one:

View attachment 5947

(image is a comp of all base render passes before details were painted)

personally i can draw freehand on paper pretty good and i was a magician with a spraycan back in the day but to start from scratch in Photoshop is just to much of a hassle since if i shoot a 3D render i can make it any angle i like and not worry about drawing stuff like accurate lighting etc etc.

Both speed painting and paintovers are used alot in CG production piplines to serve as "Concept art" and "Matte paintings"

Compositing is done in all CG and animations today so almost NOTHING you see on tv or in movies is a raw render from a 3d application it basicly splits every image into a bunch of layers giving the artist full controll over each one and as such he/she can manipulate them to get desired result.

OMNI

what exactly do you/who need to know? just generally about it or does the person want to learn how to do it?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Wow again . That is such impressive work that artist like you can do . I am speechless once again .

S

Stonelesscutter

this link to wiki which GF76 posted says pretty much all there is.. and the vide shows the process..

its basicly just fast digital painting using softwares such as Photoshop, i do something similar on my still imagery nowdays but i compose a bunch of dif 3D renders together then paint in additional detail

This is called composition/Paintover

Example:

the breakdown of this image is basicly this,

6 base renders of the ironman mesh, lighting, spec, color, Ambient occlusion etc.
1 back ground free source image (carbombing)
and then several adjustment layers such as motion blur filmgrain etc i also paint on stuff like scratches and dirt i also enhance shadows and generally tinker around till i get something that looks pleasing...

Just so you kan clearly see how much i actually painted on this one:

View attachment 5947

(image is a comp of all base render passes before details were painted)

personally i can draw freehand on paper pretty good and i was a magician with a spraycan back in the day but to start from scratch in Photoshop is just to much of a hassle since if i shoot a 3D render i can make it any angle i like and not worry about drawing stuff like accurate lighting etc etc.

Both speed painting and paintovers are used alot in CG production piplines to serve as "Concept art" and "Matte paintings"

Compositing is done in all CG and animations today so almost NOTHING you see on tv or in movies is a raw render from a 3d application it basicly splits every image into a bunch of layers giving the artist full controll over each one and as such he/she can manipulate them to get desired result.

I thought the rendering took care of all the stuff like the metal look and glare with texturing but from these images I see there's a considerable amount of Photoshop involved. What PS tools did you use for that?

OMNI

I thought the rendering took care of all the stuff like the metal look and glare with texturing but from these images I see there's a considerable amount of Photoshop involved. What PS tools did you use for that?
it does yes to a point what i tweak are the dif layers and i make em look good (too me) then i add stuff like dirt scratches etc by painting it on.

and PS tools? i used quite a few including layers, brushes, blur, noise etc etc pretty much used PS to its fullest really so no "specific" tools...

OMNI

also keep in mind that i only started doing the composites 2-3 weeks ago so what i have made previous to that has been pretty much raw renders but i eventually reached the conclusion that raw renders would never give me the look i wanted on my art and now with PS i think im on track again :)

G

Graybrew1

I gave her the info, thanks for all of your help OMNI and anybody else that offered suggestions.

OMNI

np.

and anyone can learn to do this but to get good requires ALOT of time patience dedication and pure stubborness.

OMNI

What do I need to know to learn Maya?
well you dont need to know anything o learn maya and imo to learn a new software it almost allways best to be a blank slate as you havnt learned another way to do it in some other software and you end up questioning WTH they did it this way etc.

now i am curious tho why Maya? what do you primarily want to use the software for?
i have some tips on softwares depending on what you want to do with it.