Primeval

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I always got the impression they didn't evolve in a natural way. At one point in the future timeline, they found what appeared to be an ARC facility, plus there were hints that one of the bad guys (the one who sicced the bat creatures on Lester, allowing him to show off a tiny bit of badassery) somehow knew a lot more than was ever explained.

I figure at some point, some really intelligent person decides to do something brilliant, like create the perfect weapon out of the DNA of creatures from the past. The weapon got a little upset over dealing with the hairless apes, and either we killed the planet trying to take them out or they had munched all the humans for tasty noms. Or possibly we managed to bring a disease from the past through an anomaly that did the job and all the critters took over in the ruins. IIRC, there might have been a possibility of survivors elsewhere, if they were in a bunker somewhere, because we only saw a limited view of the future time.

I really need to go back and rewatch things in one go. They kept swapping timelines and motivations, then there was a production gap, so it makes it hard to keep it all straight in my mind what happened when and, well, when. I kind of gave up on getting a coherent storyline, but the f/x are decent and there are pretty boys (and a pretty girl too!) to look at and everyone seems to be having a grand time, so I'm finding myself not really caring.

Yep, but my experience was one long marathon all the way up to the most current episode (Season 4 episode 7). Everything is coherent except how the creatures from the future came to exist. We know that they destroyed everything in the future, but how did they get there and how were they created/evolved? Same with the wasp things.

Inara

GateFans Noob
Yep, but my experience was one long marathon all the way up to the most current episode (Season 4 episode 7). Everything is coherent except how the creatures from the future came to exist. We know that they destroyed everything in the future, but how did they get there and how were they created/evolved? Same with the wasp things.

I honestly think they dropped explaining all of that plotline, or at least reformed it into the future event that Matt has been sent back to try to prevent. I think trying to explain it may create as many plotholes as anomalies in the show, so the writers have shied away from it.

I still go with someone using creatures that came through the anomaly and tweaking the hell out of their DNA to come up with bigger and better versions to use as weapons. Or a Jurassic Park gone horribly wrong, like... Jurassic Park. There's been hints that Philip Burton's side company he's lured Connor into working for may be it, but that could also be a red herring or at least a misdirection. Irony would place bets on Matt being the one to accidentally set things into motion, because trying to prevent something doesn't usually end well.

I don't think they ever said a date of when that future time was, though I wonder if they could now that they've got improved tech. That seems to be literally where things began, apparently ripping time a new one and creating the anomalies that reached back in time. On one hand, I'd like to see that resolved, but on the other, please, oh please, don't go down another conspiracy theory road. I hate those.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I honestly think they dropped explaining all of that plotline, or at least reformed it into the future event that Matt has been sent back to try to prevent. I think trying to explain it may create as many plotholes as anomalies in the show, so the writers have shied away from it.

I still go with someone using creatures that came through the anomaly and tweaking the hell out of their DNA to come up with bigger and better versions to use as weapons. Or a Jurassic Park gone horribly wrong, like... Jurassic Park. There's been hints that Philip Burton's side company he's lured Connor into working for may be it, but that could also be a red herring or at least a misdirection. Irony would place bets on Matt being the one to accidentally set things into motion, because trying to prevent something doesn't usually end well.

I don't think they ever said a date of when that future time was, though I wonder if they could now that they've got improved tech. That seems to be literally where things began, apparently ripping time a new one and creating the anomalies that reached back in time. On one hand, I'd like to see that resolved, but on the other, please, oh please, don't go down another conspiracy theory road. I hate those.

Yeah, didnt they say that Philip (Alexander Siddig's character at the ARC) had something to do with it? You are probably right...they most likely did what you said about the DNA. I am not sure I like the fact that they are getting control over the anomalies. They are becoming like portals they can use like transporters through time. I love the fact that the anomalies have been appearing randomly. I also like the new tech that allows them to "lock" the anomalies.

Inara

GateFans Noob
Yeah, didnt they say that Philip (Alexander Siddig's character at the ARC) had something to do with it? You are probably right...they most likely did what you said about the DNA. I am not sure I like the fact that they are getting control over the anomalies. They are becoming like portals they can use like transporters through time. I love the fact that the anomalies have been appearing randomly. I also like the new tech that allows them to "lock" the anomalies.

Yeah, it seems like the show and the characters from the future (Matt and his father) blame Philip's company project, but you have to wonder how reliable their information is. They don't know who they're searching for who triggers the event, so I'm thinking maybe people were putting out theories after the event, and he seemed the obvious answer, but it doesn't mean it's correct. I have a feeling it's going to end up being a total fluke accident, probably made worse by actions Matt's taken to try to change the timeline.

I don't like them turning the anomalies into Stargates through time either. They haven't done it much yet, mainly just being able to tell what date a particular anomaly leads to, but the randomness of when and where an anomaly will happen is part of what makes things interesting. I do like the newer lockdown tech. I especially loved the scene where Connor and Abby returned and saw all the ARC guys shutting it down, then Becker welcomed them back. Not only was Connor dazzled by the advancements made while he was away, that reunion scene gave me some of the team-y goodness I crave onscreen.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Primeval returns this month!

I am in Primeval withdrawal. :( But it returns for season 5 this month! :)

There is also a Primeval MOVIE in the works! If you havent seen this show, please watch it. Mr. A hipped me to this show and I never looked back. It is as close to Stargate in spirit as you are gonna get, and it is action packed, pew pew and monsters and GREAT digital work. Very well done, very entertaining. You will be HOOKED.

Episode 1, season 5 synopsis:

An vicious burrowing creature brings chaos to the city, forcing the team to race from location to location to try and trap it. In the creature's final attack one of their own is in the line of fire and the team must fight to save their life.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG! This show is so awesome...

Here is Primeval Season 5 Promos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aKxRgxG_Yxw

[video]http://bcove.me/23x1yq6d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVmaetExdJM&feature=player_embedded

I LOVE THIS SHOW!

:smiley_squee::joy::smiley_squee::joy::smiley_squee::joy::smiley_squee::joy::smiley_squee::joy::smiley_squee::joy:

B

Backstep

Going to watch ep 1 of S5 now, will be back later to give my opinion.

I give this ep a B+. Without giving away spoilers, i say this, we get to know more about project New Dawn.

B

Backstep

Episode 2 - The fifth series of the monstrously good sci-fi drama! When a submarine is attacked by a Terrapod, the team are called aboard to investigate.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Popping popcorn now.

Episode 2 - The fifth series of the monstrously good sci-fi drama! When a submarine is attacked by a Terrapod, the team are called aboard to investigate.

Going to watch ep 1 of S5 now, will be back later to give my opinion.

I give this ep a B+. Without giving away spoilers, i say this, we get to know more about project New Dawn.

I just downloaded both of these episodes and I am going to watch them back to back, commercial free. :) Popcorn time!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, it seems like the show and the characters from the future (Matt and his father) blame Philip's company project, but you have to wonder how reliable their information is. They don't know who they're searching for who triggers the event, so I'm thinking maybe people were putting out theories after the event, and he seemed the obvious answer, but it doesn't mean it's correct. I have a feeling it's going to end up being a total fluke accident, probably made worse by actions Matt's taken to try to change the timeline.

I don't like them turning the anomalies into Stargates through time either. They haven't done it much yet, mainly just being able to tell what date a particular anomaly leads to, but the randomness of when and where an anomaly will happen is part of what makes things interesting. I do like the newer lockdown tech. I especially loved the scene where Connor and Abby returned and saw all the ARC guys shutting it down, then Becker welcomed them back. Not only was Connor dazzled by the advancements made while he was away, that reunion scene gave me some of the team-y goodness I crave onscreen.

Thats what I love about this show! The Team aspect. I also dont like the control they are getting over the anomalies. Being able to split them, open and close them at will, and even dial a certain time :( They needed to stay random, but they have already gone too far with it and its in the canon. Along with that device that Helen had in season 3, which Connor now had in season 4. But it came from the future, so....

B

Backstep

Episode 3 - Matt pursues a raptor through an anomaly, and finds himself in Victorian London.

Inara

GateFans Noob
An exchange from 5.01 that gave me the giggles:

BECKER: Lester, it's Becker. I'm afraid the EMGs won't cut it, we're going to need conventional firepower and that means guns.
LESTER: How many guns?
BECKER: Well, as many as you can spare.
LESTER: Oh, yeah, fine. Perhaps you'd like a tank as well.
BECKER: What... a tank?
LESTER: No, no, I was obviously joking.
BECKER: But really, a tank?
LESTER: You can't have a tank!

Inara

GateFans Noob
Thats what I love about this show! The Team aspect. I also dont like the control they are getting over the anomalies. Being able to split them, open and close them at will, and even dial a certain time :( They needed to stay random, but they have already gone too far with it and its in the canon. Along with that device that Helen had in season 3, which Connor now had in season 4. But it came from the future, so....

The future appears to be getting stranger and stranger. I sometimes wonder if all the bits that don't quite fit anymore are due to changes that have happened unseen to us after a glimpse into the future. Would make it easy to handwave sometimes.

I wish we had a better idea of exactly how far in the future we're talking. Though maybe it's more like there's an event, then things go out of control, and some of the future we've seen is way beyond that point?

I do love the team aspect. I hope Matt finally letting Abby in on what's happening will finally make feel he's truly part of the team, but I have a feeling Connor's new assistant will point out how Matt and Abby are having a lot of quiet conversations trying to isolate Connor even further from his team. Matt had to be a bit of an outsider at first for his plotline to work, but I think it's time for some team bonding.

Matt's in charge of the team, Becker's in charge of blowing stuff up (did you catch his reaction in 5.01?), Abby's in charge of critters, Connor's in charge of tech, while Lester's in charge of sarcasm. I can't really place Jess into the mix though, unless we want to put her in charge of converting impossible computer stuff to dialogue.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The future appears to be getting stranger and stranger. I sometimes wonder if all the bits that don't quite fit anymore are due to changes that have happened unseen to us after a glimpse into the future. Would make it easy to handwave sometimes.

I wish we had a better idea of exactly how far in the future we're talking. Though maybe it's more like there's an event, then things go out of control, and some of the future we've seen is way beyond that point?

I do love the team aspect. I hope Matt finally letting Abby in on what's happening will finally make feel he's truly part of the team, but I have a feeling Connor's new assistant will point out how Matt and Abby are having a lot of quiet conversations trying to isolate Connor even further from his team. Matt had to be a bit of an outsider at first for his plotline to work, but I think it's time for some team bonding.

Matt's in charge of the team, Becker's in charge of blowing stuff up (did you catch his reaction in 5.01?), Abby's in charge of critters, Connor's in charge of tech, while Lester's in charge of sarcasm. I can't really place Jess into the mix though, unless we want to put her in charge of converting impossible computer stuff to dialogue.

I like that Matt is part of the Team now and is leading it, but I miss Danny. I love the addition of Jess, and also the fact that Abby and Conner are now a solid couple (they are great together). I dont like the addition of Connor's assistant. I think the actress was miscast, and I think that Connor doesnt need an assistant, since he always seemed best to work alone. I think Abby should have a fight with her...a real fist fight where Abby has to bee pulled off her. :) I want to see more of the future which is NOT destroyed. Siddig's character is starting to annoy me.

B

Backstep

I like that Matt is part of the Team now and is leading it, but I miss Danny. I love the addition of Jess, and also the fact that Abby and Conner are now a solid couple (they are great together). I dont like the addition of Connor's assistant. I think the actress was miscast, and I think that Connor doesnt need an assistant, since he always seemed best to work alone. I think Abby should have a fight with her...a real fist fight where Abby has to bee pulled off her. :) I want to see more of the future which is NOT destroyed. Siddig's character is starting to annoy me.

The characters Of Abby and Conner have grown with Connor still being the comic relief. The team is solid even with the addition of new characters. No Connor doesn't need the assistant, I think Philip placed her with Connor to keep him on target with Philips plan and keep Abby on the outside.

B

Backstep

Episode - 4 Philip and Connor secretly open an anomaly within the ARC, only to be invaded by a mass of scurrying future-beetles, who force the ARC into lockdown. The team have just moments to save the day before the ARC and the beetle threat is destroyed when Philip threatens to incinerate the building.

Couldn't find a preview clip for this ep :(

Looks to be another great episode.