Primeval

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Now at Season 3, Episode 3. Still good, just a few bad spots...

I still like this series, and it reminds me a lot of Stargate, and even Stargate Universe in that the central character is a blonde Scot who looks a bit like a younger Robert Carlyle. Think of a "Good Rush" with principles and a sense of being a team player. Another VERY interesting method which this show dramatically changed a character was the elimination of Claudia and the creation of Jennifer Lewis (played by the same actress) in a different timeline. Also, the creation of the ARC (Anomaly Research Centre) in the second timeline. The cool twist is that the alternate timeline became the permanent timeline! I think it shows a very cool way to make DRASTIC changes in characters and premise, whilst preserving the original timeline (albeit in a different timeline). It was very cool, especially since Jennifer was a much better character than Claudia was IMO. The ARC was a cool addition too.

So far, Im all the way into season 3, episode 3, and only the non-dinosaur/future creatures episodes have disappointed me. Im liking it when a documented dinosaur coming from the past is the foe in the story. The made-up future creatures dont interest me much, since their evolution would take MILLIONS of years into the future. And whats with Helen and the future tech? I get it that she is devious and has her own agenda, but its still not clear enough. I love Helen's deviousness, though. :)

Mr. A, THANK YOU for getting me started on this series! :shepsalute:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wha?

They did something I did NOT want them to do. :(

They killed Nick Cutter off the show!

I wish they hadnt done that. Im not liking Caroline either. Why have they made so many drastic changes in such a short time? Now its not even about the dinosaurs anymore. It has too much intrigue and plotting and "factions" involved. Starting to get turned off. :confused:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why do writers feel the need to keep changing everything? SHEEZ!

I dont understand it...Volkswagen made basically the same Beetle for DECADES without changing it much, and now its back and they have remembered that lesson. People will buy the car because its a Beetle. It doesnt NEED to morph into anything else. I watched the original Ford Thunderbird morph into a land yacht as large as the Lincoln Mark series it eventually ended up sharing the chassis with. The latest Mini is anything but Mini:

biggie-mini-could-use-fiat-platform.jpg

I dont get it. I resented when Brad and Co changed the stargate design for Atlantis, then again for SGU. Why change it? It didnt need changing, and it was already cool starting with the movie and going through SG-1. At least it has the same basic design with constellations. But the SGU gate really threw things off. They also did this with the Batmobile in the movies that have been made. Each one was different, and I dont understand why they have to do that!

Cutter was like the "Good Rush" of Primeval. He was a mature adult, and his chemistry with Claudia/Jennifer was great. So, they kill of Stephen, then Cutter too? Caroline turns me off. So do all the new secret military projects going on a la IAO of Stargate. Im getting ready for the last part of season 3, and I see there is a season 4 available elsewhere (not on Netflix yet). I still like the premise, but the dinosaurs need to return to the show. Forget about the radio controlled creatures from the future, and PLEASE dump all the Cleaner clones...what is that all about?

I dont even know if I want to pop popcorn for the next episodes. :(

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I dont understand it...Volkswagen made basically the same Beetle for DECADES without changing it much, and now its back and they have remembered that lesson. People will buy the car because its a Beetle. It doesnt NEED to morph into anything else. I watched the original Ford Thunderbird morph into a land yacht as large as the Lincoln Mark series it eventually ended up sharing the chassis with. The latest Mini is anything but Mini:

View attachment 4047

I dont get it. I resented when Brad and Co changed the stargate design for Atlantis, then again for SGU. Why change it? It didnt need changing, and it was already cool starting with the movie and going through SG-1. At least it has the same basic design with constellations. But the SGU gate really threw things off. They also did this with the Batmobile in the movies that have been made. Each one was different, and I dont understand why they have to do that!

Cutter was like the "Good Rush" of Primeval. He was a mature adult, and his chemistry with Claudia/Jennifer was great. So, they kill of Stephen, then Cutter too? Caroline turns me off. So do all the new secret military projects going on a la IAO of Stargate. Im getting ready for the last part of season 3, and I see there is a season 4 available elsewhere (not on Netflix yet). I still like the premise, but the dinosaurs need to return to the show. Forget about the radio controlled creatures from the future, and PLEASE dump all the Cleaner clones...what is that all about?

I dont even know if I want to pop popcorn for the next episodes. :(
It's not only in television this trend happens. It also happens pretty much everywhere. I'll explain though why this happens(or what I believe is the cause).

1. A few minorities get "bored/tired" of the same style/formula...Yes that's right, idiots who think they know better or want something "different" criticize what MADE the freaking thing popular in the first place.The for What do they do? They force writers/creators to think of something different.

The other reason could be...
2. Writers get bored of writing the same material so they lose all inspiration.Instead of trying to better or equal their previous best they try and do the minimal at best.

I think stargate changed because of the two forces I explained above. I was very sad nerd when I heard SG-1 getting axed! I thought it died prematurely.

Porsche has been criticized many,many times on TV, by reviewers(one of them being Jeremy Clarkson),fans even for not changing the 911 models. What does Porsche do? Shrugs off all these people and continues to make the car that made them...But they try and achieve perfection...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911

It's only a few people who actually don't fall to peer-pressure.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I thought the show took a major dip (i.e. I stopped watching) after the first series. I never really thought it was amazing but it started out fairly solid and then kind of fell apart for me. I checked out an episode of Series 4 and thought it was flat out bad.

What's others opinions though, anyone else think Series 1 was the best?
I agree with you on series 2, but I think in the end it added needed complexity to the show by opening up new possibilities.

I still like this series, and it reminds me a lot of Stargate, and even Stargate Universe in that the central character is a blonde Scot who looks a bit like a younger Robert Carlyle. Think of a "Good Rush" with principles and a sense of being a team player. Another VERY interesting method which this chow dramatically changed a character was the elimination of Claudia and the creation of Jennifer Lewis (played by the same actress) in a different timeline. Also, the creation of the ARC (Anomaly Research Centre) in the second timeline. The cool twist is that the alternate timeline became the permanent timeline! I think it shows a very cool way to make DRASTIC changes in characters and premise, whilst preserving the original timeline (albeit in a different timeline). It was very cool, especially since Jennifer was a much better character than Claudia was IMO. The ARC was a cool addition too.

So far, Im all the way into season 3, episode 3, and only the non-dinosaur/future creatures episodes have disappointed me. Im liking it when a documented dinosaur coming from the past is the foe in the story. The made-up future creatures dont interest me much, since their evolution would take MILLIONS of years into the future. And whats with Helen and the future tech? I get it that she is devious and has her own agenda, but its still not clear enough. I love Helen's deviousness, though. :)

Mr. A, THANK YOU for getting me started on this series! :shepsalute:
You're welcome :)
Glad you enjoyed it!

They did something I did NOT want them to do. :(

They killed Nick Cutter off the show!

I wish they hadnt done that. Im not liking Caroline either. Why have they made so many drastic changes in such a short time? Now its not even about the dinosaurs anymore. It has too much intrigue and plotting and "factions" involved. Starting to get turned off. :confused:
I hated that too when I saw it! :mad:

But I learned to accept it as the episodes went on... something like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1.

OM1, I can understand your frustration, but I think some of the stuff that got added in (please note I am speaking only of seasons 1-3, as I haven't seen S4 yet) was good for the show. It became much more of a complete sci-fi series IMO than just the 'dinosaur of the week' show it had begun with.
I do believe you feel the way you do because you watched all episodes in a row in such a short period of time and you didn't have the time to let all the stuff sink in before the show started changing on you. Could that be the case? I think - and this is my opinion, of course - you would feel differently if you had allowed yourself some time to appreciate each episode slowly, to reflect upon where the series was going, and you would be more open to accept the adding of depth that the whole 'future plot' brought to Primeval.
I will agree, however, that they changed A LOT during the course of the show without any apparent necessity - such as the stuff you mention in your spoiler - and as with SGA some was good, but some were clear misses. I also wondered myself if they kept changing producers every couple of episodes...
Still, I loved the show up to S3 and am definitely looking forward to S4 :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im back on board. This show is BRILLIANT!

The premise on this show is arguably the most brilliant I have seen yet. Even more versatile than the Stargate! The anomalies allow for travel to any timeline in the future or the past, allows for friends or foes to either pass through the anomalies or allows our heroes to travel to them. They get trapped, they esacpe, and yes, they even die. I was traumatized at losing Cutter and also Claudia and then Steven and Helen, but this show is so much better for it!

Season 4 is awesome so far. Im on episode 4 of season 4, and there are 7 total episodes. If you love good old fashioned "monster-of-the-week" with some serialization and some romance and drama, this is your show!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The premise on this show is arguably the most brilliant I have seen yet. Even more versatile than the Stargate! The anomalies allow for travel to any timeline in the future or the past, allows for friends or foes to either pass through the anomalies or allows our heroes to travel to them. They get trapped, they esacpe, and yes, they even die. I was traumatized at losing Cutter and also Claudia and then Steven and Helen, but this show is so much better for it!

Season 4 is awesome so far. Im on episode 4 of season 4, and there are 7 total episodes. If you love good old fashioned "monster-of-the-week" with some serialization and some romance and drama, this is your show!

Julien May...........:rononwhistle:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Julien May...........:rononwhistle:

Did she conceive of this show/premise? This sort of show coming out of Britain is totally new for me. :) Its AWESOME!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Currently at Season 4, Episode 5. This show is BRILLIANT!

Im really loving this show a lot! Its so weird to watch it from the beginning and then see the DRASTIC changes they made to get it to the show it is in season 4. The whole show is changed from the original, but only in the sense that the characters and the mythology/canon of the show has drastically changed. The core of the show continues to be the anomalies which are a BRILLIANT plot device. It is arguably more versatile than the Stargate for storytelling. Being a time portal, it keeps the creatures/people on earth (not aliens). But allows for many different plot twists, and even changes in the timeline completely.

There are two more episodes to watch and I will be current. What a ride!

A fan made season 4 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rz8qPYu9PQ&feature=related

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im already in withdrawal.

I really love this show. It was a wild ride from the first season to the 3rd season, with characters dying, changing, in fact the entire show was re-conceived and changed midstream using a BRILLIANT timeline trick. It worked so well...very impressive. Season 4 was the pinnacle of this show so far. And they have brought back Jenny/Claudia as well as Danny (you have to watch the show). And we have found his brother who went through the portal as a child. I cant wait for season 5!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce6FXdqC48w

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I'm surprised not many people are commenting on this show besides us two, OM1. It was a ratings hit in the UK as far as I can tell, and I find it very quality entertainment - especially for us sci-fi fans :)

Maybe you guys in the US should really take the time to download it and check it out.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm surprised not many people are commenting on this show besides us two, OM1. It was a ratings hit in the UK as far as I can tell, and I find it very quality entertainment - especially for us sci-fi fans :)

Maybe you guys in the US should really take the time to download it and check it out.

They dont know what they are missing! I was just as addicted to this show as I was to Stargate Atlantis and SG-1. Its AWESOME! There is little to dislike about this show. The stories are great, the effects are top notch (makes that monster in SGU's last episode look tame), and the sets and locales are great, and all of the actresses and actors are good looking people. There is little this show doesnt have.

B

Backstep

I am current and love the show too, waiting for series 5 to find out what Matt and his father know about whats to come. I'm thinking maybe it's about the future creatures, how they took over.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am current and love the show too, waiting for series 5 to find out what Matt and his father know about whats to come. I'm thinking maybe it's about the future creatures, how they took over.

I got sick of those creatures. I dont see how they could evolve on earth, no matter what timeline or period. I was hoping for a new timeline which is changed from the future devastation timeline with the predators taking over with those giant wasp looking things. BUT, they are exciting to watch, especially when those wasp things fight with them. :) I was surprised they brought Jennifer back...I thought they disappeared her. I knew Danny would be back, though. This show is so good! (oh, and congrats on your Crystal Ball!)

B

Backstep

Looking at the previews, it's a waist land, maybe nuclear?

Jenny didn't disappear, she quit after Nick was killed by Helen.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Looking at the previews, it's a waist land, maybe nuclear?

Jenny didn't disappear, she quit after Nick was killed by Helen.

I dont get Watch (the channel airing season 5 this month). And your spoiler comment is absolutely correct. :) But still, I thought she was gone from the show because Nick was killed off. I hated Caroline, and I loved Helen until they had her killing off Humanity. And yeah, the future looked very nuked, but then there were also major geological things that look like they happened. Im gonna be mad if they stop making it about dinosaurs and start having ONLY made-up "future creatures". Scientifically speaking, how would such a predator evolve on earth? Even in earth's future? So, is season 5 on yet? Im in withdrawal! :(

B

Backstep

I dont get Watch (the channel airing season 5 this month). And your spoiler comment is absolutely correct. :) But still, I thought she was gone from the show because Nick was killed off. I hated Caroline, and I loved Helen until they had her killing off Humanity. And yeah, the future looked very nuked, but then there were also major geological things that look like they happened. Im gonna be mad if they stop making it about dinosaurs and start having ONLY made-up "future creatures". Scientifically speaking, how would such a predator evolve on earth? Even in earth's future? So, is season 5 on yet? Im in withdrawal! :(

The predator was said to be an evolved form of a flightless bat, the wasp like creature( Megopteran)is a fan made concept from a contest. I don't get Watch either, after it airs on Watch it will be on ITV and BBCA. I agree with you, let them get back to basics, Dinosaurs! I even like to see them start in the human history time line, see who Jack the Ripper is, space alien landings etc... With the whole of Earth's history to explore, the stories are endless with the use of the anomaly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The predator was said to be an evolved form of a flightless bat, the wasp like creature( Megopteran)is a fan made concept from a contest. I don't get Watch either, after it airs on Watch it will be on ITV and BBCA. I agree with you, let them get back to basics, Dinosaurs! I even like to see them start in the human history time line, see who Jack the Ripper is, space alien landings etc... With the whole of Earth's history to explore, the stories are endless with the use of the anomaly.

Exactly. And there is such a wealth of stuff to use from earth's past that is already documented. I dont like the future creatures, even though they were cool to see when they first showed them, they have gove overboard with them. And that whole thing with "The Cleaner" clones was just plain dumb. Im glad that dropped off the map. :) I was really digging the dinosaurs...especially since they had a real scientific basis to them.

Inara

GateFans Noob
I got sick of those creatures. I dont see how they could evolve on earth, no matter what timeline or period.

I always got the impression they didn't evolve in a natural way. At one point in the future timeline, they found what appeared to be an ARC facility, plus there were hints that one of the bad guys (the one who sicced the bat creatures on Lester, allowing him to show off a tiny bit of badassery) somehow knew a lot more than was ever explained.

I figure at some point, some really intelligent person decides to do something brilliant, like create the perfect weapon out of the DNA of creatures from the past. The weapon got a little upset over dealing with the hairless apes, and either we killed the planet trying to take them out or they had munched all the humans for tasty noms. Or possibly we managed to bring a disease from the past through an anomaly that did the job and all the critters took over in the ruins. IIRC, there might have been a possibility of survivors elsewhere, if they were in a bunker somewhere, because we only saw a limited view of the future time.

I really need to go back and rewatch things in one go. They kept swapping timelines and motivations, then there was a production gap, so it makes it hard to keep it all straight in my mind what happened when and, well, when. I kind of gave up on getting a coherent storyline, but the f/x are decent and there are pretty boys (and a pretty girl too!) to look at and everyone seems to be having a grand time, so I'm finding myself not really caring.