Primeval getting a Canadian spin off

heisenberg

Earl Grey
slide.jpg

Awesome news, everyone! While we're impatiently waiting for season five of Primeval to air over here in North America, news of a spinoff of the U.K. sci-fi series has just emerged.
Titled Primeval: New World (Torchwood: Miracle Day was originally subtitled The New World, BTW) will be a Canadian production from our friends over at SPACE, and it will be set in the same anomalies-filled universe we all know and love.
This is the announcement:
We're excited to announce today that SPACE has ordered a new original drama series known as Primeval: New World! The series will run 13 one hour long episodes and will build on the UK Primeval mythology, taking place in the same universe that we've come to know and love. The story will centre on a new Canadian team of animal experts taking on whatever past or future creatures come through the anomalies that are now appearing around the world.

http://blastr.com/2011/09/dino-filled-uk-sci-fi-serad.php

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
...errr

I know some people like this show but I really can't stand it. Still this could be the only Primeval show around next year since all has been quiet on the renewal front for the UK edition.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
...errr

I know some people like this show but I really can't stand it.
Still this could be the only Primeval show around next year since all has been quiet on the renewal front for the UK edition.

Really? I love Primeval. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Canadian spinoff features a new temporal anomaly opening up. And this is what comes through:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Never watched much of it myself, maybe beacsue I found the first season rather silly but I saw they got it better later on, but I was just ocassional viewer, not following it closely, unlike my cousin who is Primeval fan.

Actually I thought the first season was quite good. I didn't care much for the later cast/character changes they made but it turned out to still be good.

Inara

GateFans Noob
There was talk for a while about an American version, possibly a TV movie. Haven't heard anything about it recently, but I guess this is the latest iteration.

It's not exactly high-brow TV, but... dinosaurs! Rampaging! Time travel! Plus some pretty people, so what more can I expect?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually I thought the first season was quite good. I didn't care much for the later cast/character changes they made but it turned out to still be good.

There was talk for a while about an American version, possibly a TV movie. Haven't heard anything about it recently, but I guess this is the latest iteration.

It's not exactly high-brow TV, but... dinosaurs! Rampaging! Time travel! Plus some pretty people, so what more can I expect?

I love Primeval. I liked the first season the best with Dr Nick Cutter in charge, chasing his crazed wife Helen, and with Connor and Abby being supporting cast. Later, they became central and the older characters (in age) were eliminated. I hated when they killed Nick Cutter off, but then Connor carried the show with Abby and the rest of the cast didnt matter. I sorta liked the addition of Alexander Siddig as Philip as well as the Anomaly Center. And the twist with Claudia was cool. I still like the show but they are going too far with the changes. I did NOT like the invented future monsters and I did not like the whole "the future is dead because of us" thing they added. But this show is not done...why a spinoff?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
SG-1 had a spinoff while it was still running..............

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
SG-1 had a spinoff while it was still running..............

Yeah, but SG-1 had stargates which were finite (relatively), and there was this whole mythology thing which centered around who built them, etc. In Primeval, the anomalies are random and only lead to earth (albeit in different time frames). IMO, they started concentrating too much on the future stuff with the invented new creatures and got too far away from the dinosaurs and earth's past. The last of that seemed to be with Helen's death. SG-1 and Star trek were and are still ripe for spinoffs...but Primeval? How do you spin it off?

B

Backstep

Least Primeval Canada is confirmed while ITV and Watch have not, or said maybe in 2013. Still we will not be seeing any Primeval till 2013

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, but SG-1 had stargates which were finite (relatively), and there was this whole mythology thing which centered around who built them, etc. In Primeval, the anomalies are random and only lead to earth (albeit in different time frames). IMO, they started concentrating too much on the future stuff with the invented new creatures and got too far away from the dinosaurs and earth's past. The last of that seemed to be with Helen's death. SG-1 and Star trek were and are still ripe for spinoffs...but Primeval? How do you spin it off?

Alternate/parallel realities??
I dunno, Mrs GF likes primeval more than me so she could answer that better. I'm not a huge fan of the series either.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Alternate/parallel realities??
I dunno, Mrs GF likes primeval more than me so she could answer that better. I'm not a huge fan of the series either.

Really? Mr Anderson (I miss him) told me about this show and I love it! It has changed A LOT very quickly over the five seasons. Its basically a whole new show from first season to about the third season. Shuffling of characters, goals, discoveries, etc. Its a bit fast paced, and so i dont find it boring. I agree, its sort of a love it or hate it show. :) But there is no doubt its science fiction and not drama or soap-fi. It has drama and romance elements in it though...overall I find it entertaining.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Really? Mr Anderson (I miss him) told me about this show and I love it! It has changed A LOT very quickly over the five seasons. Its basically a whole new show from first season to about the third season. Shuffling of characters, goals, discoveries, etc. Its a bit fast paced, and so i dont find it boring. I agree, its sort of a love it or hate it show. :) But there is no doubt its science fiction and not drama or soap-fi. It has drama and romance elements in it though...overall I find it entertaining.

Dude
I find the WWE "entertaining" as well, I think we can safely "agree to disagree" on some shows and maintain respect for eachother. :P Primeval tapped into a "desire" in me for "good" time travel concepts (and Dinosaurs), and it DOES have good concepts, It's just not "for me". It's sorta like "Terra Nova", I want it to be "good" but I have pretty "high standards" for it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude
I find the WWE "entertaining" as well, I think we can safely "agree to disagree" on some shows and maintain respect for eachother. :P Primeval tapped into a "desire" in me for "good" time travel concepts (and Dinosaurs), and it DOES have good concepts, It's just not "for me". It's sorta like "Terra Nova", I want it to be "good" but I have pretty "high standards" for it.

I feel you. I havent seen Terra Nova yet or Alphas or even Eureka! Im sure I will like at least one of them. Im just filling myself in on Warehouse 13. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Terra Nova is yet to be "released", Alpha's is not available out here yet and Eureka, well, Eureka you will either see as scifi or drama. I like the Scifi, to me the Scifi "element" is pretty hard, but you may see more drama. Give it some eps when you get a chance, you may like it.

Hyndara

GateFans Noob
Um what was wrong with the ORIGINAL show? Why spin off from Primeval when they could just continue the current show? :confused:

The "wrong" wasn't the show but ITV. The network went into some finance troubles and cancelled Primeval in 2009 after the third season. The reason WHY there's a fourth and fifth season is because the BBC gave the needed money. Original Primeval was a co-production between ITV, ProSieben (German) and one or two other networks. The other networks all together ordered a fourth season but there wasn't enough money to made it. The BBC had Primeval on reruns and seems more SciFi-fans-friendly so they filled in.
Funny, you are still waiting for the fifth season? ProSieben decided to air the last two seasons in one so *once more after Pushing Daisies* we here in Germany are faster than you over there. Here Primeval is already done *sniff*. It's good to know that Space will have a Spinoff. It was an awesome show!