Parrot populations in California and Texas rival that of Mexico where they are from.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought I had written about this before here, but where I live in Redondo Beach there is a common sight in the skies....Parrots! Yep, not just a nickname for some sort of pigeon or other bird, but a full on, green and blue and red PARROT like these:

o515b0-b88679770z.120160402162805000giifoie7.10.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/birds-710638-texas-parrot.html

I have been seeing them around here for decades, but they are actually so common here now they are more numerous than some local species. In West Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, there are whole flocks of them living in the lush trees and foliage. They can be found living in the larger city parks, squawking on home rooftops or in the tops of tall palm trees, or digging through garbage bins. They call from the tops of telephone poles, and sometimes nest in the steeples of churches.

These birds represent a sort of "insurance policy" against their survival. In Mexico where they number less than 10,000, the population is declining due to poaching and scarcity of food and appropriate nesting spots. But in California, they have found a niche that no other birds fill at the moment and they are extremely intelligent and nest out of the reach of cats and snakes.

In addition to the parrots, it is not unusual to see flocks of parakeets, an occasional Macaw pair or an occasional cockatoo:

B8842032Z.1_20151229172233_000G7C90NH0.4-0_t837.jpg

In the early 1970s, animal groups in California Texas and New York attacked pet stores selling exotic birds and other animals, and perhaps dozens were released across those states in a week's time. They called themselves the Animal Liberation Front, and they still exist today:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Oh yeah the Animal Liberation front - what a load of geniuses. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Back in the 1990's they broke into the animal testing labs of Eli Lilly pharmaceuticals (located here in Indy) and released several hundred bunnies into some cornfields next to the labs. (hey it's Indiana - there are cornfields everywhere :P ) 3 problems:
#1. It was dead of winter and around 30 degrees BELOW zero. the cornfield was harvested and under about 6 inches of snow, AND there are hawks& owls in the area.:anim_39:
#2. They were lab animals - born and bred to be inside animals- hadn't had ancestors who were wild for generations - therefore no "instincts" to survive to call upon.:ronnon_whistling:
#3. They were all infected with the AIDS virus - Lilly was testing some of the anti-viral "cocktails" on them. So the animals had an expected lifespan of 3 weeks or so.:anim_17:

No one was surprised when the cornfield was littered with the remains of the rabbits the next morning. Seems the hawks and owls had one heck of a feast.:lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh yeah the Animal Liberation front - what a load of geniuses. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Back in the 1990's they broke into the animal testing labs of Eli Lilly pharmaceuticals (located here in Indy) and released several hundred bunnies into some cornfields next to the labs. (hey it's Indiana - there are cornfields everywhere :P ) 3 problems:
#1. It was dead of winter and around 30 degrees BELOW zero. the cornfield was harvested and under about 6 inches of snow, AND there are hawks& owls in the area.:anim_39:
#2. They were lab animals - born and bred to be inside animals- hadn't had ancestors who were wild for generations - therefore no "instincts" to survive to call upon.:ronnon_whistling:
#3. They were all infected with the AIDS virus - Lilly was testing some of the anti-viral "cocktails" on them. So the animals had an expected lifespan of 3 weeks or so.:anim_17:

No one was surprised when the cornfield was littered with the remains of the rabbits the next morning. Seems the hawks and owls had one heck of a feast.:lol:

They also released dozens of monkeys and reptiles, but most of the reptiles died and the monkeys were caught easily. the leader of the ALF got 15 years in prison.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
We don't get any cool shit released where I live. :moody:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The parrots are invading LA's East Side now. They were originally mostly from Huntington Beach to Malibu on the West Side. But now they are invading the East Side:

http://la.curbed.com/2014/9/11/10048028/the-story-of-las-wild-parrots-now-invading-the-eastishside

laparrots.GIF

Article:

No one's remaking The Birds, there just a large flock of feral parrots flying over Echo Park and Silver Lake lately, according to Eastsider LA. Reports of the loud creatures place them at Echo Park and Scott Avenues recently, as well as Silver Lake and Sunset Boulevards. Wild parrots are not new to Southern California; there are 13 different species in the greater LA skies. Wild parrots were first spotted in the city in the 1960s, according to the Havasi Wilderness Foundation, possibly thanks to a 1961 Bel Air brush fire, when it's believed many bird-owners released yellow-headed parrots so they could escape the flames.

Another incubator for LA's wild parrots was likely the former Busch Gardens theme park in Van Nuys. The park operated an aviary in the 1960s and '70s, but it shut down in 1979 when the park turned into a full-time brewery. While many parrots were shipped to zoos, it's believed some were set free or managed to escape their cages.

hqdefault.jpg

Thousands of them live in California now.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The important question that needs asking: How do they taste? :daniel_new004:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The important question that needs asking: How do they taste? :daniel_new004:

Probably not very good! But I think some cultures do eat them. The eggs are eaten. :) I wonder if parrot will show up on some CA eatery menus? :anim_59:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
These birds are not quiet. Especially not in flocks. And not surprisingly, they sometimes imitate sounds they hear like police sirens, smoke alarms, car horns, etc. This is in La Mesa, CA

West Los Angeles north and south (these are the ones I mostly see):

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Have you heard the Australian cockatoo? When you have 100s of these yelling, my god the acoustic is unbearable. The Australian Crow is just as bad

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Have you heard the Australian cockatoo? When you have 100s of these yelling, my god the acoustic is unbearable. The Australian Crow is just as bad

Damn! All cockatoos seem to be loud birds. Is there one that isn't loud and squawcky? :) That Aussie crow, it sounds almost like a baby crying. My cats came running when I played this! I would go nuts if I had to hear this all day.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Damn! All cockatoos seem to be loud birds. Is there one that isn't loud and squawcky? :) That Aussie crow, it sounds almost like a baby crying. My cats came running when I played this! I would go nuts if I had to hear this all day.
You have no idea lol. They are very annoying and it does sound in pain which is why it's so bad to hear it. Though these crows don't attack.
Heard of a magpie?
Magpies on the other hand - oh boy - don't go near them during mating season. They get vicious and attack you. Hell, if you are a cyclist and have a Helmet, they will attack you. I presume it's because they think it's a rival male companion. Other times of the year, they are not so aggressive but the Common myna and Turtle dove are very territorial and those two love getting into a fight with them.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You have no idea lol. They are very annoying and it does sound in pain which is why it's so bad to hear it. Though these crows don't attack.
Heard of a magpie?
Magpies on the other hand - oh boy - don't go near them during mating season. They get vicious and attack you. Hell, if you are a cyclist and have a Helmet, they will attack you. I presume it's because they think it's a rival male companion. Other times of the year, they are not so aggressive but the Common myna and Turtle dove are very territorial and those two love getting into a fight with them.

We don'e have Myrna Birds, but Magpies are common to North America, and California has a special breed known as the Yellow Billed Magpie that only lives in California and they do have that reputation here too. They will fly out of bushes unexpectedly (presumably near their nests?) and peck at baseball hats, scarves and long hair. :) Turtle doves are also common here, but they make a nice sound and is soothing to hear in the morning hours.