Paramount and CBS dropping lawsuit against Axanar!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Also, they got T'Pol all wrong

do you mean they got her wrong in the general vulcan way? or something else?

remember, she was considered 'tainted' by her superiors for her long stay on earth

it was also before the big vulcan reformation where they rejected militarism and embraced (vulcan) stoicism/ Logic in full

and the suliban were very irritating

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

remember, she was considered 'tainted' by her superiors for her long stay on earth

it was also before the big vulcan reformation where they rejected militarism and embraced (vulcan) stoicism/ Logic in full

They started from day one with her in that tight outfit. Not Vulcan at all, and not even Terran. It was over the top. Second, was her relationship with the Vulcan High Command. It would not be logical to assign this Vulcan to the first Warp 5 earth ship. And then her behaviors throughout the first season of Enterprise were not at all Vulcan.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
They started from day one with her in that tight outfit. Not Vulcan at all, and not even Terran. It was over the top. Second, was her relationship with the Vulcan High Command. It would not be logical to assign this Vulcan to the first Warp 5 earth ship. And then her behaviors throughout the first season of Enterprise were not at all Vulcan.

Lawsuit has not been dropped...
J.J. Abrams Can’t Stop Copyright Lawsuit Against Star Trek Fan-Film
Paramount Pictures and CBS Studios have no plans to end their lawsuit against the crowdfunded Star Trek spin-off 'Prelude to Axanar'. Director J. J. Abrams previously announced that the case would be dropped soon. However, paperwork filed in court this week reveals that the movie studios dismiss this claim as an irrelevant third party statement.

https://torrentfreak.com/j-j-abrams-cant-stop-copyright-lawsuit-star-trek-fan-film-160930/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Really? Wow, I thought it was Paramount and CBS who had stopped the lawsuit proceedings. Could it be because Axanar is threatening the new Star Trek Discovery series which I will not be paying for? :( The more I hear about this new series, the less I want to see it. But I will definitely watch a few episodes of it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Let's remember our previous thread, where we noted the core issues here. Those were Peters using Axanar funds to open a studio which would be producing for profit Trek and Non-Trek Sci-Fi.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Let's remember our previous thread, where we noted the core issues here. Those were Peters using Axanar funds to open a studio which would be producing for profit Trek and Non-Trek Sci-Fi.
Star Trek fan film isn't protected by fair use, rules US judge

A US District Court Judge has sided with Paramount and CBS in a copyright lawsuit involving the Star Trek fan film Axanar, which had raised over a million dollars via crowdfunding. The filmmakers had argued that Paramount’s lawsuit was premature because the film hadn’t been created yet, and that they could proceed because Axanar fell under fair use. The court rejected both claims, but did allow the case to proceed with a jury to determine whether or not the project was substantially similar to the original Star Trek series.
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/5/14181534/star-trek-fan-film-copyright-lawsuit-paramount

I bloody hate vbulletin - one of the worst forum web software out there. Anyway, a jury will decide the fate of axanar. I like this film and I think that we should allow it to made. It's art. Don't pull the plug. At least allow it CBS to take over production but not the creativity side of the project.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Star Trek fan film isn't protected by fair use, rules US judge

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/5/14181534/star-trek-fan-film-copyright-lawsuit-paramount

I bloody hate vbulletin - one of the worst forum web software out there. Anyway, a jury will decide the fate of axanar. I like this film and I think that we should allow it to made. It's art. Don't pull the plug. At least allow it CBS to take over production but not the creativity side of the project.

I was following the court proceedings online but did not post here about it. Abrams and associates recommended to Paramount and CBS that Axanar not be prosecuted, but they had no real power to stop the lawsuit and it proceeded without interruption. Axanar and it's production crew will be found liable for copyright infringement and all that we have to wait for now is the punishments. What will they do to Axanar and it's creators?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not to mention what will happen to Peters with regards to all the crowdfunded money at that point? If the finding is that they intentionally violated copyright then was the money raised on a fraudulent premise?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not to mention what will happen to Peters with regards to all the crowdfunded money at that point? If the finding is that they intentionally violated copyright then was the money raised on a fraudulent premise?

I believe Paramount and CBS will seize all of the 3D models and equipment used to make the production. I think it would be crass and unwise for them to also fine him beyond that, but they might! It did not help that Peters was so arrogant and snippy about the whole thing. His persona is irritating, and that could be a factor when facing a judge.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I wonder if they will bring up Ares Studios in the court proceedings? It would be funny to hear Peters explain on the record why monies raised specifically to create Axanar went to setup a studio to create more and different material than Axanar.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I believe Paramount and CBS will seize all of the 3D models and equipment used to make the production. I think it would be crass and unwise for them to also fine him beyond that, but they might! It did not help that Peters was so arrogant and snippy about the whole thing. His persona is irritating, and that could be a factor when facing a judge.
I wonder if they will bring up Ares Studios in the court proceedings? It would be funny to hear Peters explain on the record why monies raised specifically to create Axanar went to setup a studio to create more and different material than Axanar.

damn so instead of a full blown 100 minute movie, it's being completely slaughtered to just 2x15 minutes segments. lawsuit finally settled but cbs became the bigger loser.

Although most of the settlement terms remain confidential, it is clear that the film’s length will be significantly shorter. Instead of a planned 100-minute feature, Axanar will be reduced to two fifteen minute segments.

https://torrentfreak.com/movie-studios-settle-copyright-battle-with-star-trek-fan-film-170123/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
damn so instead of a full blown 100 minute movie, it's being completely slaughtered to just 2x15 minutes segments. lawsuit finally settled but cbs became the bigger loser.

https://torrentfreak.com/movie-studios-settle-copyright-battle-with-star-trek-fan-film-170123/

At least they get to do it. :) The settlement is basically the format that web shows have used for fan films anyway. Star Trek Continues is the only full blown professional level Star Trek fan production out there left. But they asked for and got permission. Star Trek New Voyages shuttered last year I think or before.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
At least they get to do it. :) The settlement is basically the format that web shows have used for fan films anyway. Star Trek Continues is the only full blown professional level Star Trek fan production out there left. But they asked for and got permission. Star Trek New Voyages shuttered last year I think or before.

Yes but I would have liked it if they could have given it away for free. CBS has allowed some compromise but that is being closed doors. i hope that they might take on the rights to continue on with axanar.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's interesting the Star Trek Continues on its website talks a little bit about this - and they are not exactly supportive of Axanar.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's interesting the Star Trek Continues on its website talks a little bit about this - and they are not exactly supportive of Axanar.

Well, it's because they have continued unaffected and supported by their agreements with Paramount and CBS. It's like they have metaphasic shields. :) They followed the rules and they make no money directly from the show. However they are gobbling up dollars at Star Trek conventions. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The key I think is "followed the rules". Unlike Alec Peters game, Continues has always meticulously both complied with licensing and also made sure they could easily show it. I'm not so sure they make money off the episodes at conventions either. Of course, it also helps that Continues is so well put together that it attracts people to Trek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The key I think is "followed the rules". Unlike Alec Peters game, Continues has always meticulously both complied with licensing and also made sure they could easily show it. I'm not so sure they make money off the episodes at conventions either. Of course, it also helps that Continues is so well put together that it attracts people to Trek.

They do not make any money off the episodes. They don't even have copies of the DVDs with them. They sign autographs, sell pictures of themselves in uniform, and they take pictures (that they sell) with fans. They also get generous donations from older, well-heeled fans. :)