Panasonic CEATEC 2016

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I just took a look at these technologies. Hmmm. My comments are going to be purely personal.

I think that the hidden cooktops in the dining table are very cool and novel. But I think the technology is an unnecessary additional step away from natural/sustainable existence. Why not have a high tech dining table that cooks through invisible induction coils right there at the table? Well, in order to build that table, you have to use metals, special materials and use electricity. I think that over time, I would probably not continue to like it. It takes away the connection between cooking techniques and the quality of a meal. Plus, you still have to worry about how it will look after a couple of years of cooking on the surface with pots and pans. The digital wine cabinet that suggests wines and recipes for dinner seems cool, until you realize that it takes your own effort to almost zero to be creative.

The video screen as glass cabinet door is very slick. But not as versatile as a flat screen large TV which can be hung on a wall without having to have a cabinet involved. Again, very cool in that presentation, but is it practical in real life? I kinda avoid technology that feels frivolous to me.

The glass cabinet/video screen is cool. But I can do without the other stuff. The dining table/cooktop is a frivolous gimmick that would be highly impractical for actual meal preparation. You're not going to get a good steak from something like that. At best it's basically a glamorized warming plate. A microwave oven does the same thing, only better, including popcorn. Can your fancy plate under a cake dome make popcorn, lady? No? Then put that microphone down and get back in the kitchen and make some sandwiches; us men are talking here.

Also, I have no idea what she's jabbering about when it comes to that shitty wine cooler. Who drinks that much cold sake? This is America, we don't drink sake. We use it to disinfect surgical tools and power small engines, but we don't drink it. We're not animals for God's sake! Now where's my sandwich? :icon_mad:

It's impractical shit like this that is driving me to minimalism as a lifestyle. Just because something is fancy looking, uses a lot of electricity and is designedly impractical that doesn't make it futuristic. It just makes it lame and gimmicky and a needless waste of resources.

Christ, I need a drink now -- but not that shitty sake. And nothing that's been "chilled to perfection" in an overpriced, fancy refrigerator. Just gimme a beer. A screw-off cap is about as futuristic as I want to get these days thank you very much.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The glass cabinet/video screen is cool. But I can do without the other stuff. The dining table/cooktop is a frivolous gimmick that would be highly impractical for actual meal preparation. You're not going to get a good steak from something like that. At best it's basically a glamorized warming plate. A microwave oven does the same thing, only better, including popcorn. Can your fancy plate under a cake dome make popcorn, lady? No? Then put that microphone down and get back in the kitchen and make some sandwiches; us men are talking here.

Also, I have no idea what she's jabbering about when it comes to that shitty wine cooler. Who drinks that much cold sake? This is America, we don't drink sake. We use it to disinfect surgical tools and power small engines, but we don't drink it. We're not animals for God's sake! Now where's my sandwich? :icon_mad:

It's impractical shit like this that is driving me to minimalism as a lifestyle. Just because something is fancy looking, uses a lot of electricity and is designedly impractical that doesn't make it futuristic. It just makes it lame and gimmicky and a needless waste of resources.

Christ, I need a drink now -- but not that shitty sake. And nothing that's been "chilled to perfection" in an overpriced, fancy refrigerator. Just gimme a beer. A screw-off cap is about as futuristic as I want to get these days thank you very much.

THAT.

I am starting to understand one aspect of the Modern Ethic, which is "Simpler is Better". I wish some intrepid Trekkie had gone and made a Vulcan translation of the discipline of Logic. :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I just took a look at these technologies. Hmmm. My comments are going to be purely personal.

I think that the hidden cooktops in the dining table are very cool and novel. But I think the technology is an unnecessary additional step away from natural/sustainable existence. Why not have a high tech dining table that cooks through invisible induction coils right there at the table? Well, in order to build that table, you have to use metals, special materials and use electricity. I think that over time, I would probably not continue to like it. It takes away the connection between cooking techniques and the quality of a meal. Plus, you still have to worry about how it will look after a couple of years of cooking on the surface with pots and pans. The digital wine cabinet that suggests wines and recipes for dinner seems cool, until you realize that it takes your own effort to almost zero to be creative.

The video screen as glass cabinet door is very slick. But not as versatile as a flat screen large TV which can be hung on a wall without having to have a cabinet involved. Again, very cool in that presentation, but is it practical in real life? I kinda avoid technology that feels frivolous to me.
Here is this year's presentation. I see practical uses for these items though but I guess it depends on the individual.
Just because it does not apply to you or me, I can see the application.
http://news.panasonic.com/global/presskits/ifa2017/

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Man, I'm sure glad I wasn't at that Panasonic presentation at IFA. It was unnecessalily long and the delively was quite boling! Good thing I could skip through or I would have lost it. The products they mentioned weren't anything special either. Electric scooter, speaker, TV, camera, turntable. All things that already exist for ages but now slightly newer, wooptiedoo!

This autonomous moving fridge is funny. I'm not so sure it's something to be proud of though to say "Now you don't ever have to get up from the couch anymore".

Lol @ the Sustainable Maintainer. I don't think I'd ever use that. You could probably hire somebody to take care of all that for a lot less money and help sustain somebody else's income. Or just do your own damn laundry.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here is this year's presentation. I see practical uses for these items though but I guess it depends on the individual.
Just because it does not apply to you or me, I can see the application.
http://news.panasonic.com/global/presskits/ifa2017/

Oh, I know what you are saying! :) I think this stuff is way cool. It's just that I *personally* do not see a need to have an induction cooktop/dining table when there is fire and a grill. I hope at some point that all children are taught how to cook with fire and a grill, how to plant plants and take care of animals. If you ever get a chance to catch the original Time Machine movie, take a good look at how the Eloi live. Or the Star Trek episode "The Apple". Technology that takes away basic needs to have certain skills is a culture killer. Displays are a whole difference class and I sort of like to see super high tech displays, like the glass cabinet thing. Wall hanging wireless HDMI big screen TVs that double as art when off? Bring it on! Solar powered appliances? Home power generation at low cost? Tiny House technology? Sure!