Outer Limits #118: "The Message" -Episode Info and Discussion Thread

Red Mage

Boney
The Message

PLOT - A deaf woman receives an implant to help her hear for the first time in her life. But the sounds she hears are actually distress signals sent by alien forces and an ex-NASA scientist employed as the hospital janitor is the only one who can help her decipher the code.

WRITER - Brad Wright
DIRECTOR - Joseph L. Scanlan
CAST - Marlee Matlin, Larry Drake

Official MGM YouTube video (full episode, LD):

[video=youtube;-AOUeD5N3-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AOUeD5N3-I

*** Major spoilers beyond this point ***

Red Mage

Boney
This is one of three episodes I watched tonight. I decided to help out and post discussion threads about the episodes following the template used for the existing episodes. If you don't want anyone else to make any discussion threads than yourself, just let me know Mr. A.

I had already seen this episode several times before since it is included on the season 1 DVD set. This episode sticks out in particular for me because it's ending is actually quite positive. Unlike most likely the majority of Outer Limits which reach a depressing conclusion (Quality of Mercy, The Light Brigade) or having end bittersweet (I, Robot) this one ends on a high note.

The deaf woman and the ex-NASA janitor manage save the aliens from flying into the sun, the husband sees a brief glimpse of the ship so he has proof his wife isn't crazy and the janitor fufills his dream of discovering extraterrestrial life. The only way the episode could have been more positive is if somehow from saving the aliens they fixed the implant and the deaf woman could finally hear.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
This is one of three episodes I watched tonight. I decided to help out and post discussion threads about the episodes following the template used for the existing episodes. If you don't want anyone else to make any discussion threads than yourself, just let me know Mr. A.

I had already seen this episode several times before since it is included on the season 1 DVD set. This episode sticks out in particular for me because it's ending is actually quite positive. Unlike most likely the majority of Outer Limits which reach a depressing conclusion (Quality of Mercy, The Light Brigade) or having end bittersweet (I, Robot) this one ends on a high note.

The deaf woman and the ex-NASA janitor manage save the aliens from flying into the sun, the husband sees a brief glimpse of the ship so he has proof his wife isn't crazy and the janitor fufills his dream of discovering extraterrestrial life. The only way the episode could have been more positive is if somehow from saving the aliens they fixed the implant and the deaf woman could finally hear.

Quite the contrary! I'm glad I'm not the only one here who loves this series and I appreciate the help. As a matter of fact, I am open to suggestions as well for episodes that should be listed here :)