Outcasts

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Remember the sci fi show the BBC was planning to start airing in December 2010? Obviously it didn't air, but I'm hoping that they'll find a new time slot for it soon. By what I've read it has the potential to become a great series.

Synopsis:
With Earth no longer habitable, a group of courageous pioneers have traveled to another planet to begin again. They've built the town of Forthaven on Carpathia and have the unique opportunity of creating a new and better future on another planet. Led by President Tate (Liam Cunningham via Clash Of The Titans) and his core team of Stella (Hermione Norris, MI-5), Cass (Daniel Mays, Atonement) and Fleur (Amy Manson, Being Human), they're determined to run the civilization in a democratic way, but some tough decisions in the past may prove divisive.
As the series begins, it's a moment of incredible anticipation. Forthaven has lost all contact with Earth but the arrival of the last known transporter, with Julius Berger (Eric Mabius of Ugly Betty) on board, signals fresh hopes and dreams. But why does President Tate seem anxious about the imminent arrival of Berger and will the transporter land safely with Stella's husband and daughter, who she heartbreakingly left behind?
Meanwhile those appointed Expeditionaries, Mitchell (Jamie Bamber, Battlestar Galactica) and Jack (Ashley Walters, Hustle), have a mission to explore the new planet and bring back vital information to the settlement. Will they find other life out there, or do they truly have the planet to themselves?
The settlers are a diverse group of individuals who left their old lives behind in extraordinary circumstances. They've been promised a second chance but are far away from home, friends, family and their pasts. Passionate about their jobs, confident of their ideals and optimistic about the future, they work hard to preserve what they've built on the planet they now call home.
Carpathia offers the possibility of redemption as the new inhabitants try to avoid the mistakes made on Earth. Inevitably they cannot escape the human pitfalls of love, greed, lust, loss, corruption and a longing for those they've left behind. As they continue to work and live together, they come to realize this is no ordinary planet. Is there a bigger purpose at work? Is the peace of Forthaven more fragile than they think?
Here's a trailer for 2011 on BBC One, and you can see some glimpses of Outcasts in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIKFxP2Fy84

Ah, the BBC. With shows like Doctor Who, Luthor, Sherlock, and now Outcasts, you're quickly turning into one of my favorite channels since you (along with HBO) is the only channel that airs real quality programming.

They've actually been hyping this for their new Saturday sci-fi lineup along with Primeval and Being Human for 2011. I think there's also another show sci-fi show they're planning to air as well (memory is failing me). After the run of Doctor Who and Primeval ends the new batch will take over.

Thank goodness for the BBCA, since it appears that the SciFi channel is having identity issues right now.

B

Backstep

this has an interesting premise i'm going to be checking this out when it airs.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Jamie Bamber ruined Apollo's character of BSG that the thought of watching him is sickening. This sounds awhole lot like Earth2.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Agreed!

They've actually been hyping this for their new Saturday sci-fi lineup along with Primeval and Being Human for 2011. I think there's also another show sci-fi show they're planning to air as well (memory is failing me). After the run of Doctor Who and Primeval ends the new batch will take over.

Thank goodness for the BBCA, since it appears that the SciFi channel is having identity issues right now.

BBCA has been doing a better job of scifi than SyFy has. And the Brit shows aren't half bad.

Tropicana

Council Member
Outcasts - New "Sci-fi" series on BBC 1 tonight @9PM

newseries.png

Settled in the town of Forthaven on [planet named] Carpathia, the Outcasts are passionate about their jobs, confident of their ideals and optimistic about the future. They work hard to preserve what they've built on this planet they now call home, having embraced all the challenges that come with forging a new beginning.

They are led by President Tate and his core team of Stella, Cass and Fleur – they took charge and settled here first alongside Expeditionaries Mitchell and Jack. They are a diverse group of individuals who left their old lives behind in extraordinary circumstances; promised a second chance at life they created a society, far away from their home, friends, family... and their pasts.

The planet offers the possibility for both corruption and redemption; while they try to avoid the mistakes made on Earth, inevitably our heroes cannot escape the human pitfalls of love, greed, lust, loss, and a longing for those they've left behind. As they continue to work and live together they come to realise this is no ordinary planet... is there a bigger purpose at work? Mystery lurks around them and threatens to risk the fragile peace of Forthaven.

Starring:

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x8fw4

This season only has 8 episodes, first episode starts tonight at 9PM on BBC 1, each episode lasts for 60 minutes.

Sounds interesting and hopefully, it will not be snail-paced like SGU and I hope it's not as boring as SGU either, but at least there are 2 eye candies - Jamie Bamber and Eric Mabius.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Generally British made shows are good but I fear this one might sku more towards forced drama and over wrought emotionalism. Not sure when it airs here in America but I'll give it a shot when it does. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
newseries.png

Settled in the town of Forthaven on [planet named] Carpathia, the Outcasts are passionate about their jobs, confident of their ideals and optimistic about the future. They work hard to preserve what they've built on this planet they now call home, having embraced all the challenges that come with forging a new beginning.

They are led by President Tate and his core team of Stella, Cass and Fleur – they took charge and settled here first alongside Expeditionaries Mitchell and Jack. They are a diverse group of individuals who left their old lives behind in extraordinary circumstances; promised a second chance at life they created a society, far away from their home, friends, family... and their pasts.

The planet offers the possibility for both corruption and redemption; while they try to avoid the mistakes made on Earth, inevitably our heroes cannot escape the human pitfalls of love, greed, lust, loss, and a longing for those they've left behind. As they continue to work and live together they come to realise this is no ordinary planet... is there a bigger purpose at work? Mystery lurks around them and threatens to risk the fragile peace of Forthaven.

Starring:

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x8fw4

This season only has 8 episodes, first episode starts tonight at 9PM on BBC 1, each episode lasts for 60 minutes.

Sounds interesting and hopefully, it will not be snail-paced like SGU and I hope it's not as boring as SGU either, but at least there are 2 eye candies - Jamie Bamber and Eric Mabius.

Thanks for sharing, Trops! Please let us know how you thought the premiere was (without too many spoilers) and whether this is a series to keep an eye out for.

Tropicana

Council Member
I thought the premiere was very good.

Way faster than SGU, thank god! The style of story telling was definitely like BSG (except there is no pew pew but there's a few bang bangs from hand held guns, lol), it was in principle a drama series but 2 fries short of being soap opera - no outlandish overacting, no total emofest like SGU, it was all very natural, whereas with SGU, it's wrong people at wrong place, with this show tho, it's like planet is refuge you are gonna get wrong people there, but everyone thus far are going about their lives, they accepted their situation.

It's odd but they were totally understandable, as the first episode plays out, you got the sense in that Carpathia is safe haven but it can be lonely despite having a population of thousands, they lost contact with Earth and right now, they are living, they are actively going about to improve their lives, exploring instead of moping about.

The actors were very good, the characters were believeable, I love this character "Fleur", so free spirited, reminds me of an Irish liberal. She is so kind and has soft personality - I'm not sure why I like her but I do. She's idealistic maybe I see a bit of myself in her, a realist dreamer.

No boobies sadly squeedrones, no hard nipples for this is very much a proper adult drama. This show thus far is what SGU was suppose to be like IMO if they had to copy BSG. The story moves along smoothly, it doesn't drag. You sense everyone has a secret but not enough to make you hate every character, they don't whine, they don't mope about, they in British fashion simply - carry on.

I look forward to the next episode which will be tomorrow night.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Just watching it now(like 2 minutes in) thanks for the breakup Tropicana...so it airs tomorrow as well? btw Jamie having a british accent? :lol:

Tropicana

Council Member
I found him totally hot, his accent and voice here on the show, is so rough, so rugged, so sexy!

I know his normal voice is somewhat gentler to put it mildly, so his take on being a rough exploratory guy - hot.

Plus, you're gonna find the kid ever so adorable and so darn cute!

heisenberg

Earl Grey
They killed him -_-' what gives? It was alright but I think I am suffering from stargate withdrawl syndrome,I want to see aliens...I want to see phenomenas...It was an okay episode much better than SGU but,I am not glued to the story yet.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Well I thought it was a good show, and the actors are generally good at what they're doing. Hermione Norris sure didn't disappoint as usual, and while I haven't seen them in anything else, Liam Cunningham and Amy Manson both did great jobs. Overall I enjoyed it, and it's too bad that there's only six more episodes, because there's not a lot of good sci fi on tv. Well, at least I have something to watch while I wait for Doctor Who to start up again.