OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ok, I think most of you have id'd at least two pet peeves of mine; when people talk about the military or use it in a movie/show and have no idea of what they are saying/portraying. And Korea.

If someone wants to have the Korean situation has part of their plot in a film or show, then please use the actual ground truth of what is going on there.

Example, in this OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN movie, Korean terrorists (laughable on its own. The S Korean government nit picks the extra curricular activities of its citizens so much that they would know if a "terrorist cell" as well trained and equipped as Kang's existed.) attack D.C--first they take out F22s (?) with chain guns mounted in a C130, then they strafe DC and the White House with a C130.

Their "ground forces" get into the White House and also have infiltrated the S Korean Prime Minister's team (here is a reality of Korea-no guy with long hair or a pony tail is going to get any government job in South Korea).

After all of this spectacular mess, Kang demands that the US 7th fleet be deployed out of the Sea of Japan (um, no Korean of either side would ever refer to that body of water has the Sea of Japan-its the East Sea) and that all 28,500 US forces be taken off the DMZ and ultimately Korea overnight! :icon_rotflmao:

FIRST-there are NO us forces "on" the DMZ. That mission was turned over to the South's military 20 yrs ago.

Second-Those 28,500 "troops" is the number of all US forces in Korea. So, even if they were on the dmz, it wouldn't be that many. That number includes USAF, the US Naval activity and all of the US Army support and logistics units that go all the way down to Pusan.

The closest any US Army unit is to the DMZ is about 20 miles and that is about 1 or 2 infantry battalions and a couple of artillery units. Everyone else has been re stationed way south at USAG Humphreys (that brand new base I put pics of up in an other thread)

Thirdly- Just like Obama couldn't pull all forces out of Iraq "overnight" -as the media would have you believe. So too is it impossible to pull that many people, equipment, trucks, hummvees, tanks and APC's in so short a time.

I mean, yeah its a movie. But in the age of all of this info being in a quick google search, isn't it a bit unforgivable for TPTB's to still be getting away with such fantasy? If you are going to use a real world sit. in a story then get it right.

And, I know, they "f" up so many other things as well; police and other jobs are shown way over the top, etc.

Besides these peeves, the idea that anyone could actually pull this off is pretty laughable. There is so much firepower in the White House, I do not think any one could even get through the fence.

And when they had Kang say "It took your military 14 minutes to get here, it took my men 13 to take the Whouse". The equipment they were showing rolling and flying in (Stryker vehicles and armed OH 58d's helo's) is, in reality, way further away then 14 minutes. The closest Army units with that (I am saying Army because that is what the movie used) is at Ft Bragg NC, like a 5 hour drive down I95.

If your going to lay a fantastical work of fiction on us, fine, just get the easy to find facts correct.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Compared to this flick The Avengers was gritty realism at its finest....

B

Backstep

Ok, I think most of you have id'd at least two pet peeves of mine; when people talk about the military or use it in a movie/show and have no idea of what they are saying/portraying. And Korea.

If someone wants to have the Korean situation has part of their plot in a film or show, then please use the actual ground truth of what is going on there.

Example, in this OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN movie, Korean terrorists (laughable on its own. The S Korean government nit picks the extra curricular activities of its citizens so much that they would know if a "terrorist cell" as well trained and equipped as Kang's existed.) attack D.C--first they take out F22s (?) with chain guns mounted in a C130, then they strafe DC and the White House with a C130.

Their "ground forces" get into the White House and also have infiltrated the S Korean Prime Minister's team (here is a reality of Korea-no guy with long hair or a pony tail is going to get any government job in South Korea).

After all of this spectacular mess, Kang demands that the US 7th fleet be deployed out of the Sea of Japan (um, no Korean of either side would ever refer to that body of water has the Sea of Japan-its the East Sea) and that all 28,500 US forces be taken off the DMZ and ultimately Korea overnight! :icon_rotflmao:

FIRST-there are NO us forces "on" the DMZ. That mission was turned over to the South's military 20 yrs ago.

Second-Those 28,500 "troops" is the number of all US forces in Korea. So, even if they were on the dmz, it wouldn't be that many. That number includes USAF, the US Naval activity and all of the US Army support and logistics units that go all the way down to Pusan.

The closest any US Army unit is to the DMZ is about 20 miles and that is about 1 or 2 infantry battalions and a couple of artillery units. Everyone else has been re stationed way south at USAG Humphreys (that brand new base I put pics of up in an other thread)

Thirdly- Just like Obama couldn't pull all forces out of Iraq "overnight" -as the media would have you believe. So too is it impossible to pull that many people, equipment, trucks, hummvees, tanks and APC's in so short a time.

I mean, yeah its a movie. But in the age of all of this info being in a quick google search, isn't it a bit unforgivable for TPTB's to still be getting away with such fantasy? If you are going to use a real world sit. in a story then get it right.

And, I know, they "f" up so many other things as well; police and other jobs are shown way over the top, etc.

Besides these peeves, the idea that anyone could actually pull this off is pretty laughable. There is so much firepower in the White House, I do not think any one could even get through the fence.

And when they had Kang say "It took your military 14 minutes to get here, it took my men 13 to take the Whouse". The equipment they were showing rolling and flying in (Stryker vehicles and armed OH 58d's helo's) is, in reality, way further away then 14 minutes. The closest Army units with that (I am saying Army because that is what the movie used) is at Ft Bragg NC, like a 5 hour drive down I95.

If your going to lay a fantastical work of fiction on us, fine, just get the easy to find facts correct.

Wouldn't the closest Army unit be The Old Guard in Arlington?
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/thirdinf.htm

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Brenda-Meeks-Scared-Popcorn-Gif-In-Scary-Movie.gif

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Old Guard is a strange bird. It only has three Battalions. The two in or near the Capitol are largely ceremonial units. The other battalion is a Stryker unit but is based in Washington state. It does have an MP unit of about 200 men of which 45 are the Army version of SWAT but that is about it.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Oh dear this movie. One thing springs to my mind and that is, everyone else is completely incompetent (Yes that is right, an Ex 75th Ranger is better than 7 teams of Navy Seals, excuse me as I go and laugh my ass off to high pluto) so that it elevates the hero (who has magical plot armor and can instantly activate stupidity debuff area of effect 150 meter radius an enemy forces). I get the idea behind it, but it just absurd, it is like they took the concept of Under Siege and went full retard while swallowing the glue paste.

Its like they went the big action movies of the 80's or even the 90's but and I say with a cheeky grin, without any of the nuances that made them great. Its not a big dumb action movie, its a singularity in retardation.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At least in Under Siege it was actually possible to land a blow on Steven Seagal. This thing is like the other Seagal "movies" where he is portrayed as so good the villains can't even lay a hand on him much less defeat him ever.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm watching this movie now. It is a fun action movie but it is so full of shit my eyes are rolling right to the back of my head. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm watching this movie now. It is a fun action movie but it is so full of shit my eyes are rolling right to the back of my head. :D

You're a better man than me. I simply can't stand movies that are over the top like this one. Seriously, I can't sit thru them. The previews for this turd alone had me losing consciousness, that's how I know it's horrible.

Bluce Ree

You're a better man than me. I simply can't stand movies that are over the top like this one. Seriously, I can't sit thru them. The previews for this turd alone had me losing consciousness, that's how I know it's horrible.

It was " Die Hard: The Whitehouse ".

An unidentified plane would never make it from the coast to DC the way it did in this movie. Oh, and the way every single agent in the whitehouse just stepped out in the open to get shot was spectacularly stupid. Then there was the military, a bunch of bobos.

Secret service would never allow the president to bring "guests" into the bunker even if he issued a direct order to do so.

If anything this movie was a comical parody a-la Monty Python of the USA.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Come on Bruce, the original Die Hard was actually kind of clever. This thing is far from clever.

Bluce Ree

Come on Bruce, the original Die Hard was actually kind of clever. This thing is far from clever.

The original was good. The sequels were tiring and not clever.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It was " Die Hard: The Whitehouse ".

An unidentified plane would never make it from the coast to DC the way it did in this movie. Oh, and the way every single agent in the whitehouse just stepped out in the open to get shot was spectacularly stupid. Then there was the military, a bunch of bobos.

Secret service would never allow the president to bring "guests" into the bunker even if he issued a direct order to do so.

If anything this movie was a comical parody a-la Monty Python of the USA.

I was thinking the whole John McClain thing to. Only this time McClain was in a circus

Flying in on a C-130-you're right, they would never make it. After 9/11, no plane would get into that "red belt" near DC. Remember when a light plane was approaching the area by mistake a few yrs back? It was the proverebial "stink on shit" scenario with the reaction it got from the USAF and those on the ground. I don't know if the ADA system on the WH -shown in the movie-is the one they really have (I was under the impression there was an Avenger type system up there)- but back then the actual WH defense system was "said" to have 'locked on' to that Piper cub or whatever it was.

Then everything like I said in the first post.

The use of real MSNBC and other "reporters" was comical. When they had Lawrence O'Donnel saying the "situation may bring war to South EAST Asia..." Why would Vietnam and Thailand go to war over a situation in Korea-NorthWest Asia?

Simple fact checking could have prevented so much of this. I'll give them a pass on having long haired and pony tailed dudes working for the South Korean gov as their version of Secret Service. But I know for a fact, that no one in such a high vis position would ever get a working there (not even in a minor bureaucrat job).

The whole thing is just some TPTB and Hollywood types with the combo of they think that what they "imagine" is more accurate then real life AND that we are too stupid to notice/care.

I am disappointed in Morgan Freeman in having signed on to this movie. He is better then that.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The original was good. The sequels were tiring and not clever.

Wasn't the original the one where Bruce Willis says a line about Glocks being "plastic" guns that are undetectable? Such bad writing, even for back then. :rolleyes: :anim_59:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sorry Bluce I typed.

The silly Glock line is in Die Hard 2. The original Die Hard is by far the best and was actually clever.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
J
Sorry Bluce I typed.

The silly Glock line is in Die Hard 2. The original Die Hard is by far the best and was actually clever.

Ya know I was just yanking your chain bro :lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sorry Bluce I typed.

Ah, okay, cool. It's been ages (decades?) since I've seen the Die Hard stuff. I hesitate to rewatch the original as I find it -- what's the term the French use? -- "merde absolue"!