New cars and technology vs older cars and technology

Discussion in 'General Science Discussions' started by Overmind One, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

That is only true when one gets specific. Many tech advancements have made the world less pleasant and less productive. Why make cars that park themselves? Doing that removes this skill from human drivers. Cursive handwriting has been removed from school curriculum because TPTB know that computers and optical readers cannot read cursive handwriting. The Millennial generation is being crippled by tech. They are not being prepared for real life because of tech.

Except that 8K cannot even be perceived by the human eye, and looks identical to 4K visually. Why even try and push 8K?

My point is that the younger generations are simply not as well rounded as those that came before them. A show which is based in science or philosophy is just going to give a Millennial a headache. Star Trek Discovery sucks for the same reason the Kelvin movies suck. They are empty shells of stories which look great on the outside but have nothing but stuffing on the inside.

Publicity most definitely can and will hurt them! They have damaged the property permanently already. Once the Star trek fanbase dumps Star Trek for something else like The Orville, it really won't matter what CBS/Paramount does with the Star Trek license. None of the fans of the new show are going to create fan films, and they are not buying any of the merchandise for the NuTrek movies, and the conventions are just not about any of the NuTrek stuff.

Oh, ok. I am not watching the show so I don't know what they are doing. :)

2. Overmind One

So, there should be some sort of dataset I can look at which shows that vehicle parking accidents have been reduced over 10 years ago because of self-parking cars? No. It is because the auto industry is failing in many areas and they have to add gimmicks and increase the price to stay afloat. Very few cars cost more than $10,000 to manufacture. Throw in a mediocre stereo system which costs $150.00 to make, and make it an option on a car for $1500.00. If you did not learn to parallel park in driving school, then you should not have a driver license...in my opinion.

I was saying that the human eye cannot easily perceive 8K at all. Not on large or small TV. We can still see a difference between 1080p HD and 4K, but not between 4K and 8K.

Maybe. But I just see so much stupid from the millennials with my own eyes that I can't help but think there is something to what people say about them. Star Trek Discovery is one of those shows you can easily pick apart because it is simpleminded. It lacks science because the writers lack interest in science. It lacks any relationship with any Star Trek creations made before 2009.

Well then we agree on this. They have damaged the IP permanently already. And I also agree that Seth McFarlane's Orville is "his own Star Trek", and I think it will replace Star Trek for the legions of fans who loved Star Trek until JJ Abrams and Kurtzman got their dumb sticky little fingers on it.

3. heisenberg

heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

Whaa...? Do you know that costs of cars only come down when they mass produced, right? If you tried to sell your car parts individually, you would make 2-3 times as much. This is regardless of how old it is. Car parts are expensive because they are build to last. If the industry was struggling, we wouldn't see car industry shipping record number of cars, and everyone joining tesla in the electric car revolution. There is a growing apetite for cars which is why Google and Apple are also joining in on it too. Oh yeah, and another thing, you can buy a very cheap car called the nano. It's absolutely disgusting and it's worth 1500 bucks but not very safe to drive.

Are you sure?

Right now, there is no content for 8k or 8k cameras but don't throw 8k out just yet. Technology will continue to grow. Hell, I remember a time when I said that dailup was 'good enough'. I also remember a time when I said, adsl1 was super fast.

shake my head...Have you seen the screenwriters of star trek discovery?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5171438/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
    They is only 1 that fits into your complaint department category. The series is written by older people, so again, it's not the type of people to blame.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. heisenberg

Regarding reliability of cars. Certain cars do have defects. You can't avoid that. Mass recalls happen all the time and have happened since the dawn of time but that's life. This isn't to scam more money off you. Some cars from the 80s were so bad that the entire production line had problems with their gearbox/transmission/suspension, breaks, steering and or electrical. Cars today ARE build to last and ARE safer.

The fact is, Tesla is building cars so that everyone can get home safely and as fast as possible. They also want more reliable and affordable cars but the only way they can do that is if more people buy them. Older cars are also a lot unsafer than newer cars because of lack of safety feature and people simply not taking care of them. They drive their pieces of shit for decades, and then expect it last a lifetime and have all the latest features.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Overmind One

Funny, my 1991 Mercedes has outlasted my buddy's 2006 C230 and just about every 1991 vehicle I see on the road other than other W124s or Porsches or BMWs of that year. It has airbags and tensioners and ABS, and the steel gauge is much thicker than cars of today. Newer cars are somewhat safer, yes. But is that because the drivers are less skilled and need all that extra safety or is it to justify charging buyers $20,000 for a car that cost less than $10,000 to make? The paint used on new cars starts peeling in about 5 years. My car's paint still looks new.

My point is that the newer cars are not made as well as the older cars and the newer ones use cheaper materials and thinner steel and smaller engines with less power, but are performance enhanced by computers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. heisenberg

Just because one of your newer cars broke down, doesn't mean that the older car is better. No, it has nothing to do with skills. Older drivers are far more likely to cause an accident than young hoon drivers. The newer cars are made of material that absorb the laws of newton i.e. F=MA. Force = Mass x Acceleration. They use light weight material to provide economy, safety and sturdiness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Overmind One

Um, yes it does. :) And the older car is better because it uses stronger, higher quality (more expensive) materials, and because they were designed out of competition with the other makes rather than to meet a profitability index. Tripler's older Vette will have lived a longer more productive life than the newest one which is already known as a clunker. My old Benz will outlive many brand new economy cars being sold this very day, and is better built than the newest Mercedes E-class cars. No, it will not park itself and it does not have a trip computer or a bunch of LED lights on it. But it has almost 350,000 miles of proof of longevity as a daily driver. My buddy's C230 lasted all of 85,000 miles before it blew it's head gasket and it's transmission failed.

Also, the numbers show that younger drivers (particularly males) cause the most accidents:

https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/blog/who-causes-accidents/

123464166.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  8. heisenberg

That's one car, but I can show you crash tests to show you how safe a car is based on crash ratings etc. Older cars have their engines clogged up with oil and the transmission starts to breakdown. I like having newer cars because they are way more comfortable to drive, and are safer to drive. It'[ps like the Toyota Hilux, or the Ford Ranger or the Nissan Skyline. Hell, go and checkout how good the Nissan Skyline GTR is.

Don't quote blogs when it comes to sourcing. The post wasn't to bash old people. We will all eventually get there, but my point was that older people do have lesser reaction times, which does increase their chances of coming close to an accident. Main causes of accident are...Alcohol, Fatigue, Drugs and the drivers at fault are...Cyclist, 4 wheelers(these people are a menace on the road! These assholes think they own the fucking road), idiots driving Hatchbacks, and Trucks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Azaliarazor

Azaliarazor GateFans Member

I am finding myself having to skip over a ton of posts about this car business...Perhaps a new thread for those?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

The youngest drivers are obviously the biggest danger on the road followed by the people who are so old that they shouldn't be allowed to drive anymore. The thing is young people are reckless. They think they know it all and that they have everything under control. The problem is that they don't. They lack the experience to know that they can never have everything under control. When they get slightly older they become more sensible and start to get some sense of self reflection (hopefully) making them realize that it is prudent to be more careful and less cocky when controlling a vehicle. Of course not everyone grows as a person like this and people do change at different speeds. There are fucktards in all age ranges. Some people just never become mature. Which by the way doesn't mean the same as being a big child. It's perfectly possible to retain childlike tendencies while at the same time being responsible and grown up in other respects.

Anyway...

Newer cars are by definition safer. They have to comply with much stricter regulations than they used to. They are made less sturdy in some ways specifically so that they are safer both for the occupants of the vehicle and for the other parties involved in accidents. For example, they specifically build crumple zones at the front and back of cars which allow the cars to absorb some of the impact by sort of folding in certain ways. At the same time the sides of cars are strengthened because there is no room for crumple zones there and side impacts basically form the biggest safety risk to occupants of a vehicle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PussyGalore

PussyGalore Is he from Gabon?

All I know is I like that my car can tell me my tire pressure without me having to do anything more than press a button. That's Jetsons shit right there. :)

(And forget about that OnStar nonsense. I don't need any of that BS. My smartphone handles all my navigational, entertainment and emergency needs.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Overmind One

There were no easily available nav systems available in 1991 so my phone just tells me turn by turn where to go over the bluetooth stereo (my only upgrade), plus plays my music and dims the music when calls come in or it needs to tell me to make a turn or get off the freeway. :) Ask for that built in, spend $2000.00

13. PussyGalore

PussyGalore Is he from Gabon?

I rarely use navigational directions because I know where I'm going most of the time. For me there's no need to have that built into my car; the phone works just fine. I don't understand people who need to mount a GPS system in their family car for daily use. It makes sense for truck drivers but it seems like a waste for regular Joes.

I am thinking of getting a dash cam though. Would love to know if anyone here uses one and what they think of it. And is it only front-facing or do you also have rear-facing? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Overmind One

Again, you can use your phone for that too. :) Get a suction windshield clamp, and then download CamOnRoad or Bambuzer. Both can use your front AND rear cameras to record and loop and tag video with GPS locator data.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.camonroad.app&hl=en

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1