NETFLIX's "Binge Scale-o-meter"

What? Don't you just crave to search through 50,000 Bollywood flicks?

I don't mind them having a large International library, but it drives me nuts that they weave ungodly amounts of foreign language films into all their categories regardless of genre. And worse, they don't mention that these films are foreign language in the descriptions. You actually have to start watching them to see that they're speaking a foreign language. It's very very dubious on their part and I resent having my intelligence insulted so blatantly. I'm seriously thinking of dropping Netflix. Not sure if Amazon is any better though.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
F*ck Neflix. I'm seriously considering dropping this lousy service. I spend more time searching for something worthwhile to watch than I do actually watching content. Their streaming service has gotten god awful.
And Jesus awful too
;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Tried watching a few anime but believe it or not , I found them to violent for my taste . And why do the Japanese always have to have freek people as there super hero's . One I was watching had a baby in a crib as the brains of the operation , a fat Mario looking guy that breathes fire and some other fellow freeks . They were cyborgs or something wanting to be left alone . Military experiment gone wrong , bla bla bla ...
Another one was a bunch that cannot die but they control an ugly shadow that shreds people . Gross and very violent . No thanks . I want my space and si-fi stuff thank you !
;)
If anyone here has not watched the anime Space Brothers , then bloody well do it . Really well done with a lot of back storys for the brothers that really works well . Best anime story I have ever seen next to the one with the 4 things about , earth , wind , fire , water . Can't rememeber the name lol . That is another great story

;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I don't mind them having a large International library, but it drives me nuts that they weave ungodly amounts of foreign language films into all their categories regardless of genre. And worse, they don't mention that these films are foreign language in the descriptions. You actually have to start watching them to see that they're speaking a foreign language. It's very very dubious on their part and I resent having my intelligence insulted so blatantly. I'm seriously thinking of dropping Netflix. Not sure if Amazon is any better though.

If it really were an international library that would be different. I said "Bollywood" for a reason - a LOT of the films are utter crud made for next to nothing in India. Amazon is a lot better.

If it really were an international library that would be different. I said "Bollywood" for a reason - a LOT of the films are utter crud made for next to nothing in India. Amazon is a lot better.

You're right, the majority of their "International" crap is Indian. But they do have some lousy Euro-trash stuff too. I did watch a foreign language film about a Buddhist monk who solves a murder mystery in his dojo (?) and it was fairly good. I liked the template of a detective story playing out in an unusual scenario such as that. It was interesting and a change from the standard American "drunk/loner/outcast-detective" meme we see here all the time. The subtitles didn't bother me and I'd be fine watching movies like this if there were more of them, but there isn't. It was an exception. :(

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Best anime story I have ever seen next to the one with the 4 things about , earth , wind , fire , water . Can't rememeber the name lol . That is another great story

;)

The Last Airbender?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Netflix is catering to an international market and since a lot of people are from overseas and US, they enjoy watching those content. It is also that they are relatively cheap to buy licence from too. Think of it like MTV channel. It brings them a lot of money for a small price. I know if I was an investor, I would like that :) However, despite all the good things Netflix has brought us, there is always a price we pay for having easier access content. It makes shit like bollywood crap crop up more and grow in popularity.

What does this mean? In other words, it means, you are going to have to spend more time digging through the pile of shit to find those hidden treasures. Then it becomes a cost vs benefit analysis and soon you are wasting quite a lot of time for minor enjoyment.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I didn't even know this was a show.

all these originals on the streamers

originals in drama, sci fi, horror, romance, cop shows, comedies, stand up comedies, kids shows, etc

so many YOU CANNOT keep up

reminds me a bit of when cable and sat tv were putting all of those audio only, music channels on

no one really knew they were there for yrs after

of course, they were really just FILLER in their channel availability counts......

so too, with all of these originals

yeah some ARE good but most are just like air in a cereal box

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this is JUST NF and doesn't include kids shows or 'live' comedy and music concerts billed as "originals":

"Netflix has said it will release a whopping 1,000 hours of original shows and movies in 2017 (and spend $6 billion to do so). That's up from 600 hours in 2016, and means you'd have to spend 41 days binge-watching Netflix to see it all."

note--MST3K returns and a reboot of 'queer eye for the straight guy' golly gee!

and it is just 2017 new releases to include any new seasons released

now add up the original content from crackle, amazon, hulu and the universe knows who else, and we get WAY TOO MUCH STUFF. sensory overload and on the verge of becoming true laughing stock just for the sheer quantity; eventually ppl won't even judge on quality, just take them for crap on the mere point of being yet another streaming 'original'

http://www.businessinsider.com/netf...queer-eye-for-the-straight-guy-reboot-2017-26

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My only paid streaming service is now Amazon Prime. The rest are free, like Fox OnDemand, you can watch The Orville online for free. There are the many we have discussed on these forums too. :) Netflix is no longer worth it to me. I have been free of them for a few years now. Each year, however, they treat me to a free 30-day trial again. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have been free of them for a few years now. Each year, however, they treat me to a free 30-day trial again. ;)

do you use a diff email or do they allow you to keep trying for free with your previously used one?

-------
BTW STRANGER THINGS S2 come on yesterday. one of those rare NF originals that is actually good. waiting for THE OA to come back as well

TRAVELERS is also in production on S2-not very interested in that though

the australian made GLITCH will be on NF November 28th

that is also a good show--IMO

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
do you use a diff email or do they allow you to keep trying for free with your previously used one?

-------
BTW STRANGER THINGS S2 come on yesterday. one of those rare NF originals that is actually good. waiting for THE OA to come back as well

TRAVELERS is also in production on S2-not very interested in that though

the australian made GLITCH will be on NF November 28th

that is also a good show--IMO

I use my original one. They tell me when I can do my 30 days and tell me they miss me. :) Travelers is that Brad Wright thing using the same concept as the communication stones, only with a twist. Patrick Gilmore is a producer on it. I found it flat.

I use my original one. They tell me when I can do my 30 days and tell me they miss me. :) Travelers is that Brad Wright thing using the same concept as the communication stones, only with a twist. Patrick Gilmore is a producer on it. I found it flat.

Patrick Gilmore the two-bit actor who trash talked loyal Stargate fans who didn't care for SGU? Mmm, yeah, EFF him.

roflbot.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

have you ever tried GLITCH?

It is sci fi

no aliens (i dont think!) but it does deal with medical science and research and the potentialities of that research on local populations

what do you mean? Greer was not a cafeteria worker.... :)

I'm referring to "TJ" who was a med tech, not a doctor, yet somehow she was able to perform a kidney transplant with the aide of the magical Ancient technology on Destiny (but without the aide of the magic communication stones, cuz like, when you actually have a need to use them to get a real doctor to do the procedure they are useless, go figure). Apparently doing life-threatening organ surgery is as easy as making meatloaf. Who knew?

roflbot.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm referring to "TJ" who was a med tech, not a doctor, yet somehow she was able to perform a kidney transplant with the aide of the magical Ancient technology on Destiny (but without the aide of the magic communication stones, cuz like, when you actually have a need to use them to get a real doctor to do the procedure they are useless, go figure). Apparently doing life-threatening organ surgery is as easy as making meatloaf. Who knew?

View attachment 33615
oh yea,, so much medical magic took place on destiny------

and

while many military medics are very skillful ( for example, id say a sf medic is far more capable then many doctors) EVERYTHING about the character of TJ was wrong

she was supposed to be getting out to go to school--no, she would already have a degree since she was an officer

medics are not officers, they are enlisted

having her be 3rd in command was just wrong. medical officers--allowing for the mistake of course--are not command trained. a medical officer would never be in command of anything except maybe a med unit. even then, many med unit cdr's are medical svc officers--they are not dr's. nurses or 'medics'. regradless of her being a 1st lt, james as a 2nd lt should have been 3rd in command as she would have had cmd and leadership trng.

but--everything military in this show was wrong and totally backwards from how close to correct the other two SG shows got the military