Netflix DVD? Anyone using it, and if so, why?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
netflix_dvd.jpg

I have been getting beg letters from Netflix DVD in my email. :) Why would anyone who is tech savvy pay for this service unless they just like DVDs? The Netflix streaming service is awesome on it's own, and although there are more current movies availavle on the DVD section, I still do not find it appealing. I can find what I need in the torrents and be watching it long before my DVD from Netflix is even packed.

Is anyone using Netflix DVD?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
View attachment 31714

I have been getting beg letters from Netflix DVD in my email. :) Why would anyone who is tech savvy pay for this service unless they just like DVDs? The Netflix streaming service is awesome on it's own, and although there are more current movies availavle on the DVD section, I still do not find it appealing. I can find what I need in the torrents and be watching it long before my DVD from Netflix is even packed.

Is anyone using Netflix DVD?

It's the only way to get the super new stuff and the stuff Netflix is not licensed to put on demand.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's the only way to get the super new stuff and the stuff Netflix is not licensed to put on demand.

You mean from Netflix, right? By the time Netflix has the DVD available, the torrents have already been through several versions usually starting with a cam version. Generally speaking, movies are available opening night.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I had it for several years, mainly to see movies before they got to the streaming service, ones I wasn't sure I wanted to go to the expense of buying. I don't torrent movies, usually restricting that to UK, Canadian or Australian TV shows that I'm not sure how long I would have to wait for on a service I pay for.

However, I dropped disc-by-mail earlier this year, mainly due to a tight budget, plus I would often get discs that were defective. Whatever system they use to receive and re-package the discs is not good at catching bad discs. Once I ordered a combo disc that had the original Village of the Damned along with Children of the Damned. The first one I got was completely cracked, not just scratched. I reported the defect and returned it, and they sent another, also defective, and then on the third try I am positive the one they sent was the same one as the first.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I had it for several years, mainly to see movies before they got to the streaming service, ones I wasn't sure I wanted to go to the expense of buying. I don't torrent movies, usually restricting that to UK, Canadian or Australian TV shows that I'm not sure how long I would have to wait for on a service I pay for.

However, I dropped disc-by-mail earlier this year, mainly due to a tight budget, plus I would often get discs that were defective. Whatever system they use to receive and re-package the discs is not good at catching bad discs. Once I ordered a combo disc that had the original Village of the Damned along with Children of the Damned. The first one I got was completely cracked, not just scratched. I reported the defect and returned it, and they sent another, also defective, and then on the third try I am positive the one they sent was the same one as the first.

I cannot remember the last time I actually stuck an actual disc into my BluRay or DVD player. It has been several years. Also, when I discovered that Cinavia will prevent me from playing downloaded (pirated) movies burned to disk, I revolted.

Cinavia is defeated when you play the .iso file in VLC or other software player, so I chose to expand my storage capability and I am at 850 gigabytes.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I cannot remember the last time I actually stuck an actual disc into my BluRay or DVD player. It has been several years. Also, when I discovered that Cinavia will prevent me from playing downloaded (pirated) movies burned to disk, I revolted.

Cinavia is defeated when you play the .iso file in VLC or other software player, so I chose to expand my storage capability and I am at 850 gigabytes.

Cinavia has already been defeated.

http://www.techspot.com/news/56872-clever-anti-piracy-tech-cinavia-finally-gets-beaten.html

Digital traps can be digitally circumvented. The entertainment industry needs to stop being stupid and find better, more effective ways to make money than pretend that copy-protected DVDs somehow protect their investments.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Cinavia has already been defeated.

http://www.techspot.com/news/56872-clever-anti-piracy-tech-cinavia-finally-gets-beaten.html

Digital traps can be digitally circumvented. The entertainment industry needs to stop being stupid and find better, more effective ways to make money than pretend that copy-protected DVDs somehow protect their investments.

It can be defeated by just using an older player. :) I just get tired of dealing with stuff connected with DRM so I stick with Linux and VLC. But storing 4.5gb BluRay files is space expensive...

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
This is the first time I am hearing of this and no . I would never use it . The only time I used my dvd thingy as of late was to install Linux Mint 17 and Partition Magic ... Both Magical software ...

;) ;) ;)