NBC Orders 10 Eps of Jonathan Rhys Meyer Starrer "Dracula"

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Normally I would roll my eyes and assume it will just be another Twilight knock off but this one does seem to hold promise. I like the lead casting of JRM. Fingers crossed that they don't botch it up with a bunch of teenage nonsense but rather, treat the viewers as discerning, intelligent adults.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
You mean, when they "reimagine" it?

Rhys-Meyers will be presented as some self-loathing supernatural creature just seeking the love of a good woman.

Mina, of course, will be torn by her love of both Vlad and Harker, and it will eventually devolve into The Vampire Diaries.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
The 10-episode series introduces Dracula as he arrives in London, posing as an American entrepreneur who maintains that he wants to bring modern science to Victorian society. In reality, he hopes to wreak Revenge on the people who ruined his life centuries earlier. There's only one circumstance that can potentially thwart his plan: Dracula falls hopelessly in love with a woman who seems to be a reincarnation of his dead wife.

That alone makes me think of the thing as a giant rip off of The Vampire Diaries. I mean come on, that right there is pretty much the main plot line of TVD for the first couple of seasons.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
As the literary Dracula was indeed driven by that motive...

TVD sort of stole that for themselves, I guess. I don't watch TVD. I don't do emo.

"Bram Stoker's Dracula" seemed to get closest to the original story/book of all the movies that have been done on the subject.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Why, oh, WHY can't they just come up with new shit and quit picking up material from the recycling bin?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Why, oh, WHY can't they just come up with new shit and quit picking up material from the recycling bin?
Because they apparently feel that there is nothing new under the sun. They're wrong, of course.

Well, I came up with something wildly "new" and (I think) exciting, yesterday for the third book in my current series. At least, I've never seen it done before.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
A: Money.

I guess we can be expecting a new, darker, edgier Andy Griffith Show with more teen angst, melodrama and comedic suspense than any show ever to hit the airwaves in the near future.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I guess we can be expecting a new, darker, edgier Andy Griffith Show with more teen angst, melodrama and comedic suspense than any show ever to hit the airwaves in the near future.

Dude, don't even joke about that because, sadly, it might come true. :dispirited: