Movies with stupid sequels

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Prometheus had so many logic problems it wasn't funny - for example:

I couldnt make it through the second half of that 4 minute video because the guy reviewing has a voice that is as monotonous as a fish tank filter pump. :) I like this review better:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The voice is monotonous on purpose. It's part of the schtick basically implying that the film has dulled him down. The questions are hilarious and not only highlight that the script made no sense but that the characters are nonsensical themselves in how they act.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The voice is monotonous on purpose. It's part of the schtick basically implying that the film has dulled him down. The questions are hilarious and not only highlight that the script made no sense but that the characters are nonsensical themselves in how they act.

Didnt work for me. :) But the Honest Trailer vid made me laugh.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Matter of taste. The Honest Trailer people (Screen Junkies) and RedLetterMedia know each other and have appeared in each other's work before. They just have different styles. Honest Trailers because they use a trailer-esque format have a faster pace and go more for "sound bytes". RLM goes in more for dissertation wrapped in a comedy skit, especially when they do the Plinkett reviews.

They both blast Prometheus for its illogical script and irrational characters very well.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm still in shock over the news that this turd is getting a sequel. :moody: Really, on days like today I think I may be living in Bizarro land because everything is the opposite of what it should be. This movie for instance is so horrendous that it should never have been released let alone be sanctioned by having a sequel follow it, yet here one comes like it or not (and the general consensus is that no one likes it).

As for Ridley Scott, he's another example of the "Yes men" syndrome. He's got a gaggle of people surrounding him professionally who don't let bad news or reality in general reach him. Since the man clearly didn't see what a horrible monstrosity Prometheus was that can only mean that he's lost all rational perspective. The last thing he needs is to be surrounded by people that wipe his ass and tell him he's shitting gold.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm still in shock over the news that this turd is getting a sequel. :moody: Really, on days like today I think I may be living in Bizarro land because everything is the opposite of what it should be. This movie for instance is so horrendous that it should never have been released let alone be sanctioned by having a sequel follow it, yet here one comes like it or not (and the general consensus is that no one likes it).

As for Ridley Scott, he's another example of the "Yes men" syndrome. He's got a gaggle of people surrounding him professionally who don't let bad news or reality in general reach him. Since the man clearly didn't see what a horrible monstrosity Prometheus was that can only mean that he's lost all rational perspective. The last thing he needs is to be surrounded by people that wipe his ass and tell him he's shitting gold.

That's what happens when one retreats into madness. :disturbed: Its not like we are some "small yet vocal group", the movie was panned by critics and it didnt do great at the box office. So yeah...WHY?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That's what happens when one retreats into madness. :disturbed: Its not like we are some "small yet vocal group", the movie was panned by critics and it didnt do great at the box office. So yeah...WHY?

The article I linked admits that it didn't earn back its money domestically. That's not a good sign. Plus literally every Prometheus thread I've read on any forum anywhere has the majority of people calling it a turd. So how they could have green lit a sequel is beyond my comprehension.

(I think they couldn't avoid recognizing reality though as the article states that they're adding more alien material to the sequel. Since initially Ridley Scott was so adamant that this story was NOT about aliens this change in direction can only mean that someone, somewhere told him to get his shit together and give the fans what they really want. I'm sure it galls him to have to do this though as it was clear the Prometheus story was something he thought was oh sooooooooooooooo cool. He's probably pissed that the ticket buying public doesn't share his opinion.)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The article I linked admits that it didn't earn back its money domestically. That's not a good sign. Plus literally every Prometheus thread I've read on any forum anywhere has the majority of people calling it a turd. So how they could have green lit a sequel is beyond my comprehension.

(I think they couldn't avoid recognizing reality though as the article states that they're adding more alien material to the sequel. Since initially Ridley Scott was so adamant that this story was NOT about aliens this change in direction can only mean that someone, somewhere told him to get his shit together and give the fans what they really want. I'm sure it galls him to have to do this though as it was clear the Prometheus story was something he thought was oh sooooooooooooooo cool. He's probably pissed that the ticket buying public doesn't share his opinion.)

I think his vision has been tainted by something. How could he change from the deliciously creepy Alien movie to the insipidly ridiculous Prometheus? Not many people are interested in his pale Engineers, and the dumb science team fell completely flat. The chick they got, Noona Rapace is a dud on every level. Not good eye candy, wimpy whiney persona and weak silly character. Why did he work her crucifix into the story, and why the not so hidden supremacist imagery? Why all the creation by design thing? He is essentially saying in the movie that these Engineers are our gods. :facepalm: Im not even wanting to hear that story.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think his vision has been tainted by something. How could he change from the deliciously creepy Alien movie to the insipidly ridiculous Prometheus? Not many people are interested in his pale Engineers, and the dumb science team fell completely flat. The chick they got, Noona Rapace is a dud on every level. Not good eye candy, wimpy whiney persona and weak silly character. Why did he work her crucifix into the story, and why the not so hidden supremacist imagery? Why all the creation by design thing? He is essentially saying in the movie that these Engineers are our gods. :facepalm: Im not even wanting to hear that story.

There are so many holes in the Prometheus story that I hesitate to begin dissecting the damn thing. It was actually insulting to the intelligence of everyone who watched it. Case in point, the team of scientists who arrive on an alien world and immediately begin to break every safety rule they've ever been taught. ("Hey everyone, let's take our helmets off!") Then there's the guy whose job is to map out the ship who proceeds to get lost -- even though he just mapped out the ship. Then this "scientist" decides to pet an alien snake-like creature he's never seen before and doesn't know anything about. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There's more but I feel a rant coming on and I better quit while I'm ahead.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
There are so many holes in the Prometheus story that I hesitate to begin dissecting the damn thing. It was actually insulting to the intelligence of everyone who watched it. Case in point, the team of scientists who arrive on an alien world and immediately begin to break every safety rule they've ever been taught. ("Hey everyone, let's take our helmets off!") Then there's the guy whose job is to map out the ship who proceeds to get lost -- even though he just mapped out the ship. Then this "scientist" decides to pet an alien snake-like creature he's never seen before and doesn't know anything about. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There's more but I feel a rant coming on and I better quit while I'm ahead.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
How about other prequels that suck?

Every one of the Star Wars prequels?

(not what you'd think from the title)