MONSTER BUG WARS - Really?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As we know, sometimes you can find some gems of TV shows that have their episodes uploaded to YouTube (Space:1999, TekWar). And then, there are the ones where you watch an episode and say to yourself "really"?

Monster Bug Wars fits firmly into that second category.

This "documentary" pits various types of insects against one another in simulated natural environments. The matchups are accompanied by bizarre sound effects and two entomologists who actually try to predict the winner. Also, the "matches" in many cases are ridiculous and put insects up against foes they rarely if ever attack in the wild (like a small mantis against a giant spider).

The notion of doing this with insects puts the show on the intellectual level of dog fighting. The addition of scream, cries and roars to the soundtrack makes it silly to boot.

I got through one "encounter". If you really want it here it is:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As we know, sometimes you can find some gems of TV shows that have their episodes uploaded to YouTube (Space:1999, TekWar). And then, there are the ones where you watch an episode and say to yourself "really"?

Monster Bug Wars fits firmly into that second category.

This "documentary" pits various types of insects against one another in simulated natural environments. The matchups are accompanied by bizarre sound effects and two entomologists who actually try to predict the winner. Also, the "matches" in many cases are ridiculous and put insects up against foes they rarely if ever attack in the wild (like a small mantis against a giant spider).

The notion of doing this with insects puts the show on the intellectual level of dog fighting. The addition of scream, cries and roars to the soundtrack makes it silly to boot.

I got through one "encounter". If you really want it here it is:

That was just...I don't know what to say. It's like the bolded, BIG TIME. This show is not about the insects or their lifestyles and habitats, it is about force-fighting insects for sport, just to see which would win. And the little Kaiju sounds they added just drove the pubescent appeal home. I suppose it remains the only type of animal that can be fought in bloodsport without legal repercussions. :(

PS, I wanted the Giant Leaf Insect to win. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
By the way, this "show" was perpetrated by Beyond Productions for the Science Channel.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
By the way, this "show" was perpetrated by Beyond Productions for the Science Channel.

It's something beyond, alright. Like crossing a line.

Last edited: