Money Saver Thread: DONT BE FOOLED!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have a pet peeve. I dont understand why people are fooled by labeling on products, fooled by marketing campaigns and sales tricks designed to do one thing and one thing only: Get your money.

Over the years, I have implemented many money saving habits, not because I dont have the money to spend, but because I cant find a good enough reason to spend it :). Im gonna start out this thread with the utter RIP OFF of microwave popcorn. That "stuff" that is sold in the stores contains all sorts of weird oil and chemical preservatives (to keep the "butter" from becoming rancid), and who knows what else. Those popcorn kernels fester in that package of "stuff" until some hapless individual has a hankering for popcorn.

There is a much better, much healthier way, folks! Here is a video of Jenny Jones making her microwave popcorn in a regular brown paper bag. I have a slightly modified method, but she sums it up nicely in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSoR8v4GT5I&feature=related

My modified method takes the staples out of the mix. You dont need to staple the bag at all, just fold it over three times and thats all. The bag will lay on its side, and the popcorn will not open the bag.

I use a coffee cup to melt precisely 1/8 stick of real unsalted butter (not margarine or butter substitutes which are processed foods), and then pour it over the finished popcorn and add sea salt or garlic or seasoned salt or even cinnamon and Splenda/sugar for a sweet treat.

The type of popcorn doesnt really matter, since there is absolutely NO difference between so-called "gourmet" popcorn and Jolly Time IMO.

popcorn1.jpg

When you do the math, its pretty simple:

1lb of popcorn: $1-2 (yields bowls upon bowls upon bowls of popcorn)
1lb of real butter: $1-2 (butters most of the popcorn)
1 pkg brown lunch bags: $2-3

As opposed to $5 for a box of six pre-packaged popcorn servings (which is equivalent to about a quarter pound of popcorn kernels). This really adds up. It also makes you aware of the exorbitant prices for popcorn in theaters, when you know how much it REALLY costs for them to make that popcorn they are charging you $5 for a bucket for.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I can get kernels at The Bulk Barn here in Toronto .
Speaking of buying in bulk, I've been doing that for years, when I can. I hate itty bitty packaging.

Kind of like when people buy those tiny bottles of essential oils, when you can often get a much larger one for comparably a lot less. I used to buy from a place called Liberty Natural in Portland Oregon. At the time (for example), a very small bottle of TeaTree oil was selling for about 8 bucks (for less than an ounce), and I could get 16oz of the stuff for around 25 bucks.

Now, there are some things that you have have trouble getting from them (because they have to keep an eye out for the "home scientists"), but a lot is available from them without a hassle.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Any recommendations on where to get the kernels? I'm thinking of trying this out one of these days.

Most all supermarkets sell them, but other larger chains removed the bag of kernels because they can make lots more on the prepackaged stuff. I recommend Smart&Final or independent markets. A whole 1lb bag costs about one or two dollars.

Red Mage

Boney
Any recommendations on where to get the kernels? I'm thinking of trying this out one of these days.

I buy mine from Walmart. Supermarkets chains usually have them. However, supermarket chains are regional so it's difficult to recommend a particular chain because it's likely the supermarket chains in my area are not the same as yours.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Speaking of buying in bulk, I've been doing that for years, when I can. I hate itty bitty packaging.

Kind of like when people buy those tiny bottles of essential oils, when you can often get a much larger one for comparably a lot less. I used to buy from a place called Liberty Natural in Portland Oregon. At the time (for example), a very small bottle of TeaTree oil was selling for about 8 bucks (for less than an ounce), and I could get 16oz of the stuff for around 25 bucks.

Now, there are some things that you have have trouble getting from them (because they have to keep an eye out for the "home scientists"), but a lot is available from them without a hassle.

we do that too. I actually have a membership to BOTH sam's club and costco- they have different products and brands. :) I am the type who does one major shopping trip once a month and go weekly for the perishables- milk, eggs, veggies, etc... I buy HUGE amounts of meat at Costco (best meat around here) and freeze it (We have a 16cu.ft. standing freezer), I also will freeze leftovers for snookie & Mr. Rac's lunches. What can i say I am cheap. We will freeze a lot of our produce from our vegetable garden. i also make my own jerkies and dried fruits (have a top quality food dehydrator.) all in all it saves a lot of money!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
we do that too. I actually have a membership to BOTH sam's club and costco- they have different products and brands. :) I am the type who does one major shopping trip once a month and go weekly for the perishables- milk, eggs, veggies, etc... I buy HUGE amounts of meat at Costco (best meat around here) and freeze it (We have a 16cu.ft. standing freezer), I also will freeze leftovers for snookie & Mr. Rac's lunches. What can i say I am cheap. We will freeze a lot of our produce from our vegetable garden. i also make my own jerkies and dried fruits (have a top quality food dehydrator.) all in all it saves a lot of money!

One thing I cannot buy in bulk is meat of any description, maybe it's just me but thawed meat just tastes different to me. Everything else though, yep buy in bulk.
MMmmmm beef jerkey, love beef jerky, way too damn expensive to buy out here though (3 bucks for a 50g bag :( ) Best beef jerkey I have ever had was made by one of my brothers friends (he was a marine living over here on a "exchage" program) best damn Beef jerkey ever.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
One thing I cannot buy in bulk is meat of any description, maybe it's just me but thawed meat just tastes different to me. Everything else though, yep buy in bulk.
MMmmmm beef jerkey, love beef jerky, way too damn expensive to buy out here though (3 bucks for a 50g bag :( ) Best beef jerkey I have ever had was made by one of my brothers friends (he was a marine living over here on a "exchage" program) best damn Beef jerkey ever.
I'll buy a whole sirloin tip, cut it into steaks (at least 1 inch thick, each) and then freeze them for future use.

I've saved a bunch of money this way, when I can get sirloin for less than 3 bucks a pound and get decent steaks in the process.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'll buy a whole sirloin tip, cut it into steaks (at least 1 inch thick, each) and then freeze them for future use.

I've saved a bunch of money this way, when I can get sirloin for less than 3 bucks a pound and get decent steaks in the process.

Thing is though, out here meat isn't that expensive (relatively speaking). Pork legs can go for $5 a kilo (2.2 pounds), lamb, $10. I used to buy whole rump from the butcher for around $40 bucks for about 5-6 kilo's when I had my monthly barbeques, and that would do almost 20-25 people.

G

Graybrew1

We do the same thing. We have a BJ's and Costco memberships. I go to Costco for meats and specialties in bulk.But I go to BJ's for the nitty gritty bulk ,because they tend to be alittle cheaper. I also think less people hang out in BJ's for food samples and I can get my shopping done there quicker. I am an anti-girl when it comes to shopping, I hate it. Online only, please. But I love it when the house is full of groceries. And bulk saves lots of mu-la. :icon_cool:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sacrilege!

We do the same thing. We have a BJ's and Costco memberships. I go to Costco for meats and specialties in bulk.But I go to BJ's for the nitty gritty bulk ,because they tend to be alittle cheaper. I also think less people hang out in BJ's for food samples and I can get my shopping done there quicker. I am an anti-girl when it comes to shopping, I hate it. Online only, please. But I love it when the house is full of groceries. And bulk saves lots of mu-la. :icon_cool:

WHAT?! :icon_eek: I thought that loving to shop was GENETIC for females! :P I havent yet met a single female who didnt just LOVE to shop. Even baby girls love to shop, even if its just in your own closet!

Seriously though, I will buy meats like bacon and sausage and chicken parts, beef franks and strip steaks in bulk. But when it comes to steak or fish or whole chickens (for baking), I need for it to be fresh and never frozen, which means Albertsons or Ralphs market for me. I do Whole Foods to get my organic products like coconut oil, eggs, cheese and specialty foods like Jicama and daikon radish.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Thing is though, out here meat isn't that expensive (relatively speaking). Pork legs can go for $5 a kilo (2.2 pounds), lamb, $10. I used to buy whole rump from the butcher for around $40 bucks for about 5-6 kilo's when I had my monthly barbeques, and that would do almost 20-25 people.
Damn! These are the times I wish I lived near you, mate :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Ok next tuesday-- everyone to Gatefan's for a BBQ! ;) don't I wish!

@OM1- the cheeses at whole foods are fantastic! We got a new zeland cheddar that made the best macaroni and cheese last month! :) I love my cheeses.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

@OM1- the cheeses at whole foods are fantastic! We got a new zeland cheddar that made the best macaroni and cheese last month! :) I love my cheeses.

HA!
It's been some years since I've put a BBQ like that on! So much prep time doing all the marinating and stuff, but the day was always worth it. Best part was, everyone else supplied the drinks, I just provided the house and the food!! I'd always have 2 odd cases of beer and a few bottles of spirits lurking about after them. I never quite got the hang of making "baby back ribs" though, so if anyone has a good recipie, PM me :D

G

Graybrew1

If only he didn't live a zillion miles away. I would so love to be there. LOL

S

Stonelesscutter

I have a pet peeve. I dont understand why people are fooled by labeling on products, fooled by marketing campaigns and sales tricks designed to do one thing and one thing only: Get your money.

Over the years, I have implemented many money saving habits, not because I dont have the money to spend, but because I cant find a good enough reason to spend it :). Im gonna start out this thread with the utter RIP OFF of microwave popcorn. That "stuff" that is sold in the stores contains all sorts of weird oil and chemical preservatives (to keep the "butter" from becoming rancid), and who knows what else. Those popcorn kernels fester in that package of "stuff" until some hapless individual has a hankering for popcorn.

There is a much better, much healthier way, folks! Here is a video of Jenny Jones making her microwave popcorn in a regular brown paper bag. I have a slightly modified method, but she sums it up nicely in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSoR8v4GT5I&feature=related

My modified method takes the staples out of the mix. You dont need to staple the bag at all, just fold it over three times and thats all. The bag will lay on its side, and the popcorn will not open the bag.

I use a coffee cup to melt precisely 1/8 stick of real unsalted butter (not margarine or butter substitutes which are processed foods), and then pour it over the finished popcorn and add sea salt or garlic or seasoned salt or even cinnamon and Splenda/sugar for a sweet treat.

The type of popcorn doesnt really matter, since there is absolutely NO difference between so-called "gourmet" popcorn and Jolly Time IMO.

View attachment 3654

When you do the math, its pretty simple:

1lb of popcorn: $1-2 (yields bowls upon bowls upon bowls of popcorn)
1lb of real butter: $1-2 (butters most of the popcorn)
1 pkg brown lunch bags: $2-3

As opposed to $5 for a box of six pre-packaged popcorn servings (which is equivalent to about a quarter pound of popcorn kernels). This really adds up. It also makes you aware of the exorbitant prices for popcorn in theaters, when you know how much it REALLY costs for them to make that popcorn they are charging you $5 for a bucket for.

Speaking of corn, here's an interesting movie I saw once.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286537/
You guys should watch it, it's an eye-opener.