"Missing the hook"- do TPTB's create missed opportunitie by NOT linking characters in between series

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
A brand new example of is TWIN PEAKS -the original, (i say brand new because in the restart of TP's Davis is given a tribute but does not appear in new scenes,etc via digital dandiness) and STARGATE SG1.

In TPS' he played Major Garland Briggs:

"Major Garland Briggs is an inhabitant of Twin Peaks. A highly decorated war veteran, Major Briggs works in the classified Project Blue Book, where he once worked together with Windom Earle, who was to become a psychotic killer. Briggs is an extraordinarily skilled pilot. He is married to Betty Briggs and has a son, Bobby Briggs."

http://twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Garland_Briggs

Now,at the end of the Orig TP's, Briggs had gone missing but was alive. What IF the TPTBs of SG1 -having obtained the Oh so sacred "permissions" - had re-intro'd this character in SG1? So instead of a Gen Hammond, we would of had a Gen Briggs with a background in extra-terrestrial investigations.

I think that could have (note "could have") been cool

we have seen these things actually occur in other shows/characters-same actor

FRANK BLACK in XFILES/MILLENIUM

Det Munch in HOMICIDE..., LAW and ORDER SVU and the XFILES as well as a audio only cameo in LUTHER

BTW, this puts all 7 of those shows in the same 'universe'

in novels, gary 7 of ST;TOS, is established as having contact with other 'heroes' from other 'universes' of fiction--tying all of them together with the ST-verse:

"...look at what Seven and Roberta Lincoln were up to in Earth’s past, which apparently included encounters with the British Avengers, James Bond, and Kolchak the Night Stalker among others"

so, what do you think of the TWIN PEAKS/SG1 "miss"?

or any other characters/shows you can think of?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If you mean shows where the universes could be linked without huge issues....the universes of Dark Matter and Killjoys are actually compatible and you could have crossover characters. In the past there was linkage between Eureka and Warehouse 13 that worked very well.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If you mean shows where the universes could be linked without huge issues....the universes of Dark Matter and Killjoys are actually compatible and you could have crossover characters. In the past there was linkage between Eureka and Warehouse 13 that worked very well.

yes and, once they put that same character-especially if it is the same actor, then in the minds of viewers, those shows, movies even books are linked-no matter the intentions of TPTB's

so, if they do it on a 'lark' for most of us, its a connection in stone.

i think the don davis character could have worked nicely in TWIN PEAK's and SG1. It could have been the same SG1 without the weirdness of TP's. And given the character of the General a lot more depth for those viewers who cared to know of it.

the Munch character works great in every iteration as well

---------------------
there must be others that have happened, I have missed or forgotten...which are they?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I dunno, I think that many shows become dangerously pigeonholed when they become dependent on their characters instead of their situations. Star Trek, Stargate SG-1, Warehouse 13, Doctor Who...all are dependent mostly on their universes and situation (premise) than individual characters within their universes.

I love crossovers though! Sometimes they don't work, sometimes they do.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I love crossovers though! Sometimes they don't work, sometimes they do.

absolutely! if it ever became a thing-character only crossover, then it would get overplayed and 'buried'

i find the best ones to be,as i mentioned, the ones where the character appears in two nearly diff genres. like Munch (homicide, svu) he is a-at the time, Baltimore Cop. being in the DC area, Mulder and Scully (don't remember the details) call upon him for assistance of some sort.

the are all law enforcement but of course their fields of expertise are far diff--murder cop procedural show) and sci fi.

--just remembered Much was also in-at the e=very end, THE WIRE also., putting hat show also in the universe of strange bedfellows like XFILES and MILLENIUM

Not advocated for entire shows crossing-like say SGA and SG1, and not even the way those shows shared characters. but rather say, if Scully from the XFILES was brought into Cheyenne MTN as a federal agent and doctor with ET Experience, read in to the secrets and then asked to assist on some projects with the likes of Dr Janet Frasier? Now that would have been interesting...

tis only a dream, I know... :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Fargo crossing over to Warehouse 13 from Eureka also worked very well. It was written well (the Warehouse needed his technical expertise to update its systems) and the character fit in well - and had real chemistry with Claudia.