Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LMFAO!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Im still laughing. :smiley-laughing024:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/2/46...evices-and-services-unit-unites-windows-phone

Now isn't this just adorable? It's all a bit like two people who get together in an old folks home. You know they'll both be dead and turned to dust sooner rather than later, but at least they can keep each other company while awaiting their death.

Not a bad analogy really! Microsoft was riding on its entrenchment in the enterprise, and the entire landscape has changed for them. It has changed for all the OEM brands who used Windows to sell them, particularly servers. But the ROI for Microsoft-based products is non-existent now because of emerging technologies they ignored. Google has eaten MS Office for lunch, and Apple and Android have left it outside waiting for a seat when it comes to mobile. Microsoft seems to be banking on its ability to jump into mobile with the superior hardware technology from Nokia instead of fixing its products. Having said that, I have started to like Windows 8 on the touch screen.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Im still laughing. :smiley-laughing024:

Not a bad analogy really! Microsoft was riding on its entrenchment in the enterprise, and the entire landscape has changed for them. It has changed for all the OEM brands who used Windows to sell them, particularly servers. But the ROI for Microsoft-based products is non-existent now because of emerging technologies they ignored. Google has eaten MS Office for lunch, and Apple and Android have left it outside waiting for a seat when it comes to mobile. Microsoft seems to be banking on its ability to jump into mobile with the superior hardware technology from Nokia instead of fixing its products. Having said that, I have started to like Windows 8 on the touch screen.

I think they're trying to do what Google did with Motorola.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think they're trying to do what Google did with Motorola.

I might work, but that is an outside chance. Microsoft cant offer anything like the functionality of Google Apps for Business. Google is operating across platform with excellent Office apps, free cloud storage, calendering, document creation in all formats, and even video transcoding with YouTube. Microsoft is already dead, as we knew it. In our company, Windows machines are becoming mere virtual entities living within VMware's free (and excellent) ESXi virtual framework. Office is more of an accessory than an necessity now. With people creating new documents in Google Apps for business, and then that document being instantly accessible across all internet enabled devices and ready for collaboration (complete with access and viewing permissions like Active Directory), who needs Microsoft? Right now, there is no offline capability for Google Apps except as connected to Office. But you can use Linux's awesome Libre Office or OpenOffice to open and create offline docs, and its free.

So Microsoft has bought Nokia, but what will it do with them? If they try and create a closed garden and imitate Apple, their demise will be accelerated. There is nothing Microsoft has that is a "must have", except perhaps Outlook and Server. Even MSSQL has fallen to MySQL, and Linux always had most of the webserver/mailserver market share. They are still on the playground, but they are definitely not first string players anymore.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
All these takeovers Microsoft is doing seem kinda pointless. Why are they trying to breakthrough a market that is already over-saturated? This is one of the reasons why they failed with their tablet and mobile market. Sales may have been modest but in business, Modest is never good enough.

It sounds like they are making a last minute attempt to try and gain whatever marketshare that is leftover but that entire space is already cramped as it is.

I think Microsoft should focus on the Desktop side of things rather than trying to compete with apple with their products that do nothing but harm our social lives .

All this smartphone craze is kinda idk...meh...

I loath smartphones not because what they are capable of but mainly because how it's affected our social lives. The technology is great but how people have abused is what upsets me. When I step on the train these days, every second person has their heads glued to their smartphones. It's almost like crack to to them. There is also that every 2 minutes people would check to see if someone has replied to their tweet and/or facebook post and this is during a middle of a conversation. I don't know about you guys but I personally find that rude. Perhaps I am oldschool with how to socialize with people, but I much rather sit down with a person and talk to them face to face without the distractions.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
All these takeovers Microsoft is doing seem kinda pointless. Why are they trying to breakthrough a market that is already over-saturated? This is one of the reasons why they failed with their tablet and mobile market. Sales may have been modest but in business, Modest is never good enough.

You are so right about that. They dont have any breakthrough technology anywhere, because they are Windows and not much else. but Office and Server are huge products for them If it weren't for sales of Office, Server and Windows, there would be no Microsoft. Exchange is still huge, but Google Apps for Business is eating away at that very fast. They are trying to break into devices, and grow them in a walled garden like Apple. The Xbox One, Surface and Windows Phone (Nokia-based) are being presented as connected devices related to each other. But the way they are connected, and the strategy behind connecting them together BY FORCE, raising prices and gouging the enterprise is a transparent money grab. Microsoft seems to be ignoring that they have SERIOUS competition, and that they have come way late for the party. After the toast has been made and glasses raised.

It sounds like they are making a last minute attempt to try and gain whatever marketshare that is leftover but that entire space is already cramped as it is.

Yes, its cramped, and there is little room left at the table. Blackberry and Microsoft are sitting next to each other, but Blackberry has something new, whilst Microsoft has only updated something old.

I think Microsoft should focus on the Desktop side of things rather than trying to compete with apple with their products that do nothing but harm our social lives .

I dont know what they should do really.

I loath smartphones not because what they are capable of but mainly because how it's affected our social lives. When I step on the train these days, every second person has their heads glued to their smartphones. It's almost like crack to to them. There is also that every 2 minutes people would check to see if someone has replied to their tweet and/or facebook post. Perhaps I am oldschool with how to socialize with people, but I much rather sit down with a person and talk to them face to face.

I dont socialize at all with my smartphone. I closed my Facebook account two years ago, never had a personal Twitter account, and dont want either of those liabilities. But without my smartphone, I would have to be in the office all the time. I can forward my office calls to my smartphone, answer emails, make video calls (even video conference calls), be present in team meetings via teleconferencing, watch webinars, and even connect to company workstations and servers via VPN to my office network. I can monitor the company video security system cameras, my home cameras, print copies of documents, scan barcoded asset tags, input data ibto databases....I could go on and on.

Smartphones are here to stay, but no longer is it a requirement to be running Windows to be productive in business. Apple has always been a niche product designed for consumers and artists with limited computer skills. Now devices like the iPad are commonplace in business meetings. Ultrabooks can outperform the last generation of serious desktop machines.

Where is Microsoft in all this?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
All these takeovers Microsoft is doing seem kinda pointless. Why are they trying to breakthrough a market that is already over-saturated? This is one of the reasons why they failed with their tablet and mobile market. Sales may have been modest but in business, Modest is never good enough

Yes, yes it is, but they will trade on the micosoft name, the same as apple trades on it's name.
Yes they should. To *ME* MS is similar to IBM, overpriced, but the leaders in certain fields. MS provides a easily accessable platform to use on the desktop, and IBM makes the machines. Sure we have Seagate, Lenovo, Toshiba and all other makers of tech, but they STILL use IBM architecture.
All this smartphone craze is kinda idk...meh...

I loath smartphones not because what they are capable of but mainly because how it's affected our social lives.
I do not own a mobile phone, if you want me, I am at home, call me there.
Not at home or don't answer, PISS OFF!!!
The technology is great but how people have abused is what upsets me. When I step on the train these days, every second person has their heads glued to their smartphones. It's almost like crack to to them.
It's "infocrack"
Its mostly shit, will rot your brain and designed entirely to get a response from you. The "News" is all but designed to piss you off or invite moral outrage, it's just SHIT.
There is also that every 2 minutes people would check to see if someone has replied to their tweet and/or facebook post and this is during a middle of a conversation. I don't know about you guys but I personally find that rude.
Personally, I just ignore them. My RL friends, they can call me if they want to chat, but if they email me silly shit, I just don't bother with it. If you check your email in a convo with me, I'll walk away, and I don't give a crap what you have to say. IF, IF you have a good reason, sure, check it, if not, piss off.

Perhaps I am oldschool with how to socialize with people, but I much rather sit down with a person and talk to them face to face without the distractions.
Damn straight.
I USE the net cause I am stuck in a house for 60 hours a week, and it is a viable tool to connect with other people. When I was working, it was a "if we are on togeather" kind of thing.
I would much prefer a face to face as well dude.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Like I said, I don't hate the technology. I think it's amazing that we have a small portable computer that we can fit into our pocket. What I don't like is the gimmicky nonsense apps and what these apps have done. Some people have made great use of their phones but majority of the public just use it for the dumbest of reasons.

You are so right about that. They dont have any breakthrough technology anywhere, because they are Windows and not much else. but Office and Server are huge products for them If it weren't for sales of Office, Server and Windows, there would be no Microsoft. Exchange is still huge, but Google Apps for Business is eating away at that very fast. They are trying to break into devices, and grow them in a walled garden like Apple. The Xbox One, Surface and Windows Phone (Nokia-based) are being presented as connected devices related to each other. But the way they are connected, and the strategy behind connecting them together BY FORCE, raising prices and gouging the enterprise is a transparent money grab. Microsoft seems to be ignoring that they have SERIOUS competition, and that they have come way late for the party. After the toast has been made and glasses raised.

Yes, its cramped, and there is little room left at the table. Blackberry and Microsoft are sitting next to each other, but Blackberry has something new, whilst Microsoft has only updated something old.

I dont know what they should do really.

I dont socialize at all with my smartphone. I closed my Facebook account two years ago, never had a personal Twitter account, and dont want either of those liabilities. But without my smartphone, I would have to be in the office all the time. I can forward my office calls to my smartphone, answer emails, make video calls (even video conference calls), be present in team meetings via teleconferencing, watch webinars, and even connect to company workstations and servers via VPN to my office network. I can monitor the company video security system cameras, my home cameras, print copies of documents, scan barcoded asset tags, input data ibto databases....I could go on and on.

Smartphones are here to stay, but no longer is it a requirement to be running Windows to be productive in business. Apple has always been a niche product designed for consumers and artists with limited computer skills. Now devices like the iPad are commonplace in business meetings. Ultrabooks can outperform the last generation of serious desktop machines.

Where is Microsoft in all this?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just made the switch from iPhone to Windows phone.

So far, loving having left the AppleSauced minions.

You can do a whole lot of stuff with a Windows phone...like running Android. :) You can actually run Android in full mode PLUS be able to run Windows phone: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...indows-phone-and-vice-versa-and-same-with-iph...if you wanted to. Cant run Windows on an Android phone though. But I do have Ubuntu running on my GS4 when I need it. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am running a Windows Phone personally. I like it. It is a very clean UI that is fast and fluid.

At work they just migrated me to an iPhone 5S. Like many companies we are ditching Blackberry (which is to all intents and purposes dead). I really am hoping we go to a BYOD program so I can stop carrying two phones.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My kid still carries an iPhone 5 and would like to have a Windows phone, but at the moment, there appears to be an inability to transfer her enormous text message collection to a Windows phone. (She needs them for her work - in some cases, her text messages are actually "mission critical".

Meh.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My kid still carries an iPhone 5 and would like to have a Windows phone, but at the moment, there appears to be an inability to transfer her enormous text message collection to a Windows phone. (She needs them for her work - in some cases, her text messages are actually "mission critical".

Meh.

The solution for that is here: http://www.backuptrans.com/iphone-sms-transfer.html I have used it with great success for many employees wanting to do exactly this. Not free, but worth it if you are going to do this for more than one phone. I sell the service privately too. :) I just create the file they need, and use the same software.