Low Carb Eating...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
As I understand it (and this is just off the top of my head) our bodies process MCT's differently than other fats. Bluce could probably weigh in better than I can on this subject.

FWIW, I use Trader Joe's organic virgin coconut oil and also their organic light coconut milk (which they run out of constantly!). My body seems to respond well to using both products. :encouragement:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As I understand it (and this is just off the top of my head) our bodies process MCT's differently than other fats. Bluce could probably weigh in better than I can on this subject.

FWIW, I use Trader Joe's organic virgin coconut oil and also their organic light coconut milk (which they run out of constantly!). My body seems to respond well to using both products. :encouragement:

When you compare coconut oil to all other oils, only cold pressed virgin olive comes close to coconut oil for healthy eating. But olive oil has a relatively low smoke point (about 365 degrees) and changes chemically when heated above that point, or reheated after previously reaching it's smoke point. Coconut oil does not do that. Coconut oil does not go rancid either. :) But the very worst oil to use is corn oil (called vegetable oil sometimes). Canola and peanut oils are good.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Bluce! Please weigh in on this...:)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
When you compare coconut oil to all other oils, only cold pressed virgin olive comes close to coconut oil for healthy eating. But olive oil has a relatively low smoke point (about 365 degrees) and changes chemically when heated above that point, or reheated after previously reaching it's smoke point. Coconut oil does not do that. Coconut oil does not go rancid either. :) But the very worst oil to use is corn oil (called vegetable oil sometimes). Canola and peanut oils are good.

Yes, coconut oil has a lot of benefits. I'm not that big on canola oil though. I'll use it if I have to (over soybean oil) but my default option after coconut oil is olive oil. (California virgin cold pressed olive oil ;) )

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, coconut oil has a lot of benefits. I'm not that big on canola oil though. I'll use it if I have to (over soybean oil) but my default option after coconut oil is olive oil. (California virgin cold pressed olive oil ;) )

Canola oil is still a processed oil leaning more towards how corn oil is made. The cold pressed olive oils, peanut oils and coconut oil are minimally processed and no heat is involved. As far as soy...I don't use any soy products if I can at all avoid them (it's hard to do these days!). They are putting soy broth in most processed canned tuna, in chili, in peanut butter, and all sorts of places it does not belong. Soy lecithin has invaded everything too. But yeah, olive oil is a great fallback, and it is my first choice when making my own salad dressing or mayonnaise. Then peanut oil. Coconut oil is awesome for oven frying because of the high smoke point.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
natural woo

Health woo.

If it were only a false veneer of improved health and a perceived social superiority thing, it would be meaningless (like veganism). Knowing things about nutrition and health should lead to great nutrition and actual health which can be measured objectively by a doctor using standard tests.

Why comment on this thread? Tell us something about your weight right now. Feeling energetic? Do you eat right? I am not sure you have ever shared any of that. :) There are knowledgeable folks here who can share stuff with you.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
FALSE! Whilst coconut oll does contain medium chain fatty acids, it still contains 90% saturated fats. Therefore, it is NOT the most healthiest form of oil because it contains a shitload of saturated fat that is known but not limited to causing type 2 diabetes & insulin resistance.

That's a misleading statement. Coconut oil has a greater effect on HDL than LDL. Then there is the fact that not all saturated fats are equal as they are broken into various types.

You also need to keep in mind that what's being done here is drawing a comparison between plant-based fats and animal-based fats in terms of the effects of saturated fats. 500g of saturated bacon fat does not equal 500g of plant-based saturated fats. In fact, about 1/2 the saturated fats in coconut oil is the 12-carbon variety, which exerts a significant positive effect on HDL, far greater than the oil's effects on LDL.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Carb Creep: When somebody in a low carb lifestyle allows their diet to include too many bad carbs and starts gaining weight again

I have slipped into this a few times. Usually, it comes from me wanting to make actual sandwiches with whole wheat bread. One or two sandwiches a day is not horrible, but 6 is. :) Same with my peanut butter sandwiches. I must have my grape jelly. I usually buy Smuckers sugar free, but I have cheated on that using normal jelly. Then there are the french fries. OMG, french fries. :facepalm:.

The way to get back in shape is to go back to Inducction (if you are doing Atkins). As of today, I am back on Inducttion because I have allowed 15 pounds to be gained because of carb creep.

Atkins Acceptable Foods List (Induction):

http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1/low-carb-foods

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Those links :facepalm:

This link is bogus. It leads to a company called Theraputic Research which sells diagnoses to patients in order to prescribe medicines to them based on those diagnoses. They are a (small) private corporation made up of pharmacists. For profit.

This entity is a tiny research unit within National University in Malaysia.

That reference speaks for itself. :)

The American Dietetic Association was disbanded and no longer exists. It is now the
Dietetic Associations Food and Nutrition Information Center, and there is no article on that entire website supporting negative coronary health associated with the saturated fats found in coconut oil.

So...why did you swallow this nonsense?
Here is the thing with science. People often go to both end of the extremes and don't realize that they are both necessary evils to maintain a balance. However, there is a general consensus in the science community that saturated fats are bad for you - the only thing that varies is the amount. Saturated fats are a necessity, because everything we eat has it, but we should try to minimize the amount we intake.
There is plenty of other evidence to prove that saturated fat is the worst types of fats out there. Ever since I gave up saturated fats, I have lost significant weight. Not to mention, our bodies absorb fats like sponge and over time, the adipose tissue and our arteries clog up with saturated fats which can increase the sign of a stroke/heart attack and other diseases that affect the human race. There are a lot of scientific based journals that try to disprove a lot of things - like Cigarettes being bad for you - evolution not being a "Myth", The big bang not being "theory". Often a lot of people tend to misinterpret data and that's what causes people to get different results. There are people out there that have come under fire by the FDA for recommending coconut oil - like this idiot who I don't know how he got a degree after looking at his credential. This idiot belongs behind bars

Now, I believe this so called "nonsense" because it's backed by Australian scientist and I have found a program that uses real science and is sustainable for life and doesn't require any "guessing" games but eating precisely - getting the amount of macros/micros. This program recommends eating 6 small meals, and having protein(preferably Animal based - which you are taking), plant based carbs(Vegetables, Fruits) - which you are eating too and eating good fats such as omega 3(Flaxseed oil/fish oil tablet) & unsaturated fats. Going on low carb is great, but ultimately, our metabolism is down to be muscle mass. However, complex carbs are necessary! Eating complex carbs such as oats/barley quinoa are required, because after a workout because there is a "window" that opens up for 3 hours after a workout which helps refuel the muscles because our glycogen storage become depleted when you do resistance training.

I laugh everytime I see some cardio class going on for 2-3 hours - wasting precious time and energy as well as burning off precious muscle which contributes towards ageing and increases your chances of getting sick and dying. Cardio should be maximum 20 minutes. I rather do resistance training over cardio anyday! If you want to live a healthy life, muscle mass is how we can beat ageing.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here is the thing with science. People often go to both end of the extremes and don't realize that they are both necessary evils to maintain a balance. However, there is a general consensus in the science community that saturated fats are bad for you - the only thing that varies is the amount. Saturated fats are a necessity, because everything we eat has it, but we should try to minimize the amount we intake.
There is plenty of other evidence to prove that saturated fat is the worst types of fats out there. Ever since I gave up saturated fats, I have lost significant weight. Not to mention, our bodies absorb fats like sponge and over time, the adipose tissue and our arteries clog up with saturated fats which can increase the sign of a stroke/heart attack and other diseases that affect the human race. There are a lot of scientific based journals that try to disprove a lot of things - like Cigarettes being bad for you - evolution not being a "Myth", The big bang not being "theory". Often a lot of people tend to misinterpret data and that's what causes people to get different results. There are people out there that have come under fire by the FDA for recommending coconut oil - like this idiot who I don't know how he got a degree after looking at his credential. This idiot belongs behind bars

Now, I believe this so called "nonsense" because it's backed by Australian scientist and I have found a program that uses real science and is sustainable for life and doesn't require any "guessing" games but eating precisely - getting the amount of macros/micros. This program recommends eating 6 small meals, and having protein(preferably Animal based - which you are taking), plant based carbs(Vegetables, Fruits) - which you are eating too and eating good fats such as omega 3 and unsaturated fats. Eating the complex carbs after a workout because there is a "window" that opens up for 3 hours after a workout which helps refuel the muscle.

My initial motivations for low carbing came from those who were losing weight and looking and feeling healthy whilst doing it. I saw their blood work (most low carbers tend to be so excited about their results they share them and the documentation to prove it :)). When I started doing it myself, my doctor visits proved what I expected it would...a vast improvement of my blood profile and no adverse nutrition issues. Saturated fats are no problem at all when your body is burning fat for fuel as it's primary source (ketosis). Saturated fats are healthy, but unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are not. Eating low carb is a scientifically proven method for not just weight loss, but chemical imbalances in the body.

The BEST advocate for living a low carb lifestyle is being fit and healthy as the result of following one. I smile when I think of how many years I have added to life by dumping all of that unhealthy weight and eating real food. Last year, I quit my most serious vice which was smoking. More years. :)

As far as Mercola and other individuals who preach nutrition, only the science is really important. I do not follow individuals, just the science. For me, the Atkins research and methods have worked, but the science is what makes it work. Science does NOT back your claim that saturated fats are bad. I am talking about actual nutritional science, not the Big Food "mainstream" consensus (which also gave us the ridiculous food pyramid and whose interest is in selling products). When I see people who are avoiding these fats by eating "fat free" actually losing weight and becoming not obese, I will listen. What I am seeing is that they all are still fat and many become fatter. Low carbers lose weight and become healthier, and we eat LOTS of saturated fats.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Modern nutritional science: recommended reading:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...onised-doctors-evidence-suggests-healthy.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...big-fat-surprise-about-nutrition-9692121.html

One dietary guideline has stood fast for half a century: Saturated fat, found chiefly in meat and high-fat dairy products such as cheese, is bad—because it leads to clogged arteries, heart attacks and strokes. Now that certainty isn’t just wobbling; it’s toppling. According to recent research, saturated fat may not be a villain after all. In fact, some foods high in saturated fat may lower your risk of stroke and type 2 diabetes. And steering clear of foods just because they contain saturated fat, and eating other foods just because they are low in saturated fat, may be the unhealthiest choice of all.

I know a few people who are following a low fat diet using the decades old nonsense that saturated fats are bad, and they are still fat. Perhaps not AS fat, but still significantly overweight. Low carbers literally transform and become slim and fit. These photos are TYPICAL results after say...a year of low carbing. I chose Atkins method first, but since then I have modified and added elements from other low carb methods. I have been living a low carb lifestyle for a few years now, so I understand how and why it works. Besides the carb creep I sometimes am guilty of, low carbing is easy.

My experience was looking like the guy on the left. I was big almost like that, and right now I am the size of him on the right of his picture. I think from his videos, he says he was way heavier than I was. But the proportions were like that. Because...low carbing.

kent_before_after.jpg
lowcarb-diet-before-after.jpg

Eating fat does not make you fat.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Atkins, South Beach and several flavors of the Paleo diets all fall into a group of diets which are ketogenic:

These work by first putting you in a ketogenic state (burning fat primarily for fuel), then by regulating your blood sugars by eating whole foods with the least glycemic impact on the blood. The net effect is that carbs you do eat are burned and not stored. Because you are burning fat primarily for fuel, saturated fats from animal sources are burned and not stored. The saturated fats being burned have a good effect on cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes (or can reverse it if you have it already).

ketogenic-diet-food-guide.jpg

My transformation was almost exactly like this guy. On the left, he is 245lbs (I was about that, at least 240lbs). On the right, he is 180lbs (my current weight right now). He is the same height and build as me, but a lot younger. :)

ntt8d.jpg

heisenberg

Earl Grey
My initial motivations for low carbing came from those who were losing weight and looking and feeling healthy whilst doing it. I saw their blood work (most low carbers tend to be so excited about their results they share them and the documentation to prove it :)). When I started doing it myself, my doctor visits proved what I expected it would...a vast improvement of my blood profile and no adverse nutrition issues. Saturated fats are no problem at all when your body is burning fat for fuel as it's primary source (ketosis). Saturated fats are healthy, but unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are not. Eating low carb is a scientifically proven method for not just weight loss, but chemical imbalances in the body.

The BEST advocate for living a low carb lifestyle is being fit and healthy as the result of following one. I smile when I think of how many years I have added to life by dumping all of that unhealthy weight and eating real food. Last year, I quit my most serious vice which was smoking. More years. :)

As far as Mercola and other individuals who preach nutrition, only the science is really important. I do not follow individuals, just the science. For me, the Atkins research and methods have worked, but the science is what makes it work. Science does NOT back your claim that saturated fats are bad. I am talking about actual nutritional science, not the Big Food "mainstream" consensus (which also gave us the ridiculous food pyramid and whose interest is in selling products). When I see people who are avoiding these fats by eating "fat free" actually losing weight and becoming not obese, I will listen. What I am seeing is that they all are still fat and many become fatter. Low carbers lose weight and become healthier, and we eat LOTS of saturated fats.

From what you have been saying - you seem to cave into temptation of eating complex carbs. Eating high fat and low carb and high protein just doesn't seem sustainable(Constipation would be one of the first problems) - Eating a few vegetables here and there will break the so called rules of a low carb diet which is why it doesn't appear to be sustainable. These two articles are worth reading. Carbs are essential.

http://mp-body.com/BlogRetrieve.asp...earchID=8696382&ObjectID=529817&ObjectType=55

http://mp-body.com/BlogRetrieve.asp...earchID=8696382&ObjectID=350835&ObjectType=55

The program that I use, stipulates eating vegetables and using vegetables as a catalyst to burn fat as well as using first class proteins and good fats to breakdown stubborn fat. I know you are going to keep trying to push to eat a high fat and I am glad that you have lost weight - but do you want a lean muscular body or do you still want stubborn fat on you?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
From what you have been saying - you seem to cave into temptation of eating complex carbs. Eating high fat and low carb and high protein just doesn't seem sustainable(Constipation would be one of the first problems) - Eating a few vegetables here and there will break the so called rules of a low carb diet which is why it doesn't appear to be sustainable. These two articles are worth reading. Carbs are essential.

Of course carbs are essential! :) See, Im not understanding where you get this stuff. :) ALL low carb diets require you to eat vegetables. Lots of them. Its the TYPE of vegetables that you eat that make the difference. Avoid potatoes. But eat cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, asparagus, avocados, etc etc (lots more). You havent looked at Atkins or any of the low carb diets if you think that. There is a vegetarian version of Atkins too. Besides Atkins, there is Paleo, South Beach, Keto, several others. The low carb diet is a scientifically arrived at diet which takes into account glycemic load, carbs, fiber and phytonutrients.

Carb creep is not a disaster. I was able to dump the 15 pounds I gained in carb creep in just a month. I know exactly where the creep comes in because I keep track of what I eat (mentally). My personal carb limit has worked out to be 80 carbs per day. When I exceed that for more than a week, I will gain weight. But if I do a HUGE cheat and restrict it to a single day (100-200 carbs), my weight will not be affected.

http://mp-body.com/BlogRetrieve.asp...earchID=8696382&ObjectID=529817&ObjectType=55

http://mp-body.com/BlogRetrieve.asp...earchID=8696382&ObjectID=350835&ObjectType=55

The program that I use, stipulates eating vegetables and using vegetables as a catalyst to burn fat as well as using first class proteins and good fats to breakdown stubborn fat. I know you are going to keep trying to push to eat a high fat and I am glad that you have lost weight - but do you want a lean muscular body or do you still want stubborn fat on you?

I have lost SIXTY POUNDS, and I have kept that off for several years. I whine now when I gain 5 or 10 pounts, and I panic when I gained 15. But it took no time at all to cut out the daily coffee cake and drop right back to the 180 I am right now. And that was done without exercise. If I start exercising more regularly, even more fat will be burned.

Tell me, have you seen the results you want to see on your diet? I see those links go right back to that Metabolic Precision website, where they charge you for your program, and much of the information on there is just plain wrong. Whomever is writing that stuff over there does not really know much about nutrition, or he/she is counting on people not to do any research so they can sell their diet program product to the unsuspecting. TBH, I see that Atkins has gone that route as well. The problem there is Atkins and Metabolic Precision, not the science of low carb diets, which is cold hard science without anybody's brand name on it.

• You eat lots of vegetables on a low carb diet
  • You do not ever cut all carbs out on a low carb diet, even in Induction/kickstart
  • When you are lean, fat is burned as fuel and not stored. In this healthy state, saturated fats are essential in the diet.
  • The science of low carb eating is proven.
Where are the before and after pics on that website? :) Things that jump out at me from Metabolic Precision is that they are pushing hard on all those "Certifications" they have invented as products (courses). They are selling them the same way as personal trainers sell exercise regimens. They are NOT giving you science or a way to lose weight. They are selling you a product.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I could have summed up my overthought by saying simply this: The information you are getting at Metabolic Precision you can get for free online. If it is the personal trainer which is the value you are getting, you should be paying around $25.00 per 1/hr training session, at least 3 days per week. Im all for the personal trainer. I need one myself! But the diet is even more important. Get the right information, and get it from outside of that program (to keep them honest :))

EDIT:

Oh sheez....really? $399.00 for a "certification" that is entirely made up and has nothing to do with your weight loss?

http://metabolicprecision.worldsecu...Certification-Cert_in_Advance_Supplementation

metabolicprecision.png

I am at a loss for words.....

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
From what you have been saying - you seem to cave into temptation of eating complex carbs. Eating high fat and low carb and high protein just doesn't seem sustainable(Constipation would be one of the first problems) - Eating a few vegetables here and there will break the so called rules of a low carb diet which is why it doesn't appear to be sustainable.

I've been eating that way for years. Vegetables are a necessary part of a diet, required for various nutrients and fiber. My typical diet is high fat, high protein, low carb. Fiber is not soluble and passes through your body unabsorbed, which I get from vegetables.

Simple carbs affect your blood sugar levels almost immediately whereas complex carbs digest more slowly.

Any diet can make you fat in excess of your needs. Your diet may consist of nothing but steak all day and nothing else. In sufficiently high quantities, your body will begin storing the excess calories. Combined with a good exercise program, however, this is mitigated.

See my avatar. :)