Lifeforce - one really weird oldie

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
How many here have watched the Tobe Hooper film Lifeforce? If yes what did you think of it.

Me, I found it competent. Basically it is a Space Vampires story that wound up feeling like a Hammer Studios Quatermass film. It stars Steve Railsback as an astronaut who is the sole survivor of an ill fated mission to study a comet and Mathilda May as the lead Space Vampire - a role which had her stark naked for virtually the entire film. So this is not a film for the kids (the gore also indicates that).

Based on the bit I explained it sounds like it should be terrible, but the effects are good, the acting is okay (Patrick Stewart is in it also in an interesting small role) and the story while garbled is generally followable.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How many here have watched the Tobe Hooper film Lifeforce? If yes what did you think of it.

Me, I found it competent. Basically it is a Space Vampires story that wound up feeling like a Hammer Studios Quatermass film. It stars Steve Railsback as an astronaut who is the sole survivor of an ill fated mission to study a comet and Mathilda May as the lead Space Vampire - a role which had her stark naked for virtually the entire film. So this is not a film for the kids (the gore also indicates that).

Based on the bit I explained it sounds like it should be terrible, but the effects are good, the acting is okay (Patrick Stewart is in it also in an interesting small role) and the story while garbled is generally followable.
Sounds interesting...where did you watch it?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It exists on YouTube and STARZ online has it too. I actually have the DVD and had pulled it out on a whim.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It exists on YouTube and STARZ online has it too. I actually have the DVD and had pulled it out on a whim.

I will look for it. It helps to mention that when talking about films or shows! :) I will look for it on YouTube. Thanks.

EDIT: Not a great copy, but watchable. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's not the greatest video quality but watchable.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
iTunes has it in full HD so in theory you should be able to locate it on Kodi.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Was it on Kodi?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did you find a download?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So Kodi time? I am assuming that if iTunes has it Kodi ought to.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i always liked this POS movie! one of those things you hate but cant turn away from

i see it and some others of the time -'genre mixers' that seems as if their only reason for being made was to give a bad name to each genre used

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Why was it "hate but can't turn away from"?

I called it competent because I did like how it managed to feel like one of the old Hammer Studios SciFi/Horror fusions (like Quatermass and the Pit). Yes the plot has holes and yes the horror effects get a bit over the top but it is still competent.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
BTW this is now on Amazon Prime as one of their "free if you are a Prime member" films.

Try watching this and then The Last Jedi and then reading the respective reviews. You'll come away no longer believing pro reviewers have any intelligence at all.

This has a couple of plot holes (including a big reveal right near the end) but the pacing, acting, cinematography and even the base story make The Last Jedi look incompetent by comparison.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BTW this is now on Amazon Prime as one of their "free if you are a Prime member" films.

Try watching this and then The Last Jedi and then reading the respective reviews. You'll come away no longer believing pro reviewers have any intelligence at all.

This has a couple of plot holes (including a big reveal right near the end) but the pacing, acting, cinematography and even the base story make The Last Jedi look incompetent by comparison.

You are right! Actually, lots of movies can do that. :)