Last Company Making VCRs Is Pressing Stop on Production

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

We still have a video rental store in Redondo Beach! It's called Premiere Video and the ONLY people you see going in there are old people and a handful of hipsters

http://www.yelp.com/biz/premiere-video-redondo-beach

It is the last video rental store in the south bay, and word has it that they will be closing their doors in a few months. It's a large one, full of VHS video (and even some BETA!)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
We still have a video rental store in Redondo Beach! It's called Premiere Video and the ONLY people you see going in there are old people and a handful of hipsters

http://www.yelp.com/biz/premiere-video-redondo-beach

It is the last video rental store in the south bay, and word has it that they will be closing their doors in a few months. It's a large one, full of VHS video (and even some BETA!)

Do they still have the adult section in a small room behind a curtain?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Do they still have the adult section in a small room behind a curtain?

It's on the second floor of the store and there is a cheezy mylar curtain wall you have to pass through to get inside. They have both straight and gay films in there (I decided to take a trip through memory lane in there). They saw me taking pictures and told me I could not publish any interior pictures, but were nice about it. :) There were about 5 people in there browsing.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

how was Funai even making a profit? these machines now sell new for like 19.99 at Walmart

the vcr and beta deserve to just go away

ppl said the same about vinyl records-but they are making a small niche comeback- there is a certain quality that ppl say they like about the vinyl record (idk what it is)--i just don't see anyone in the future doing the same for video tapes

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Premiere Video in Redondo Beach closed Friday. It outlasted Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, GameStop and every video store in the South Bay. Already, before the weekend is even out, it has been converted into a clothing store. This is what it was like:

premiere4.jpg
premiere3.jpg
premiere2.jpg
premiere1.jpg

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It's sad to watch the end of an era. But the world moves on. To be honest, the last time I rented a video must have been like 20 years or so ago.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I have a dvd player that plays vhs too...actually I also inherited snookie's when she bought herself a blue ray player. hanging on to those for the few vhs I haven't replaced yet. I am always on the lookout for inexpensive dvds of old favorite movies. (half price books is a great place to look - the dvds are open box so you can check the condition! )