Kodi for all platforms. Actually, it's a platform all by itself.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
NF lets you resume where you left off at. To start from the beginning you must actively select that option

also automatically creates a "continue watching" list. one can also create a "to do list" as well. this is all in the roku app. perhaps it is only in the roku app ? (ROKU was initially created by NF as a way to stream their content when they first began streaming. roku was later spun off as a division of NF. so perhaps these NF things I can do are as a result of using roku? dunno

The bolded is a resounding YES. Roku is a basic version of what Kodi does, except you don't need to buy a box like a Roku or attach anything to your computer to use it. It's the software in your Roku letting you do it. The software can be loaded onto a computer without a box. But Kodi is WAAAAAAAY more mature than Roku in terms of development. Kodi started out as XBMC, which was written to be loaded into a TV tuner box, but because it's open source nobody was interested. It in fact still has the ability to control a TV tuner under the "Live TV" section. XBMC appeared in 2002.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Netflix is to Kodi as a Playskool toy phone is to a tricorder.

hey, i am good with that!!!

i will stay a happy tech idiot in this arena for now-until some streamer/provider pisses me off again! :)
----------------
speaking of and on the side; I didn't like SLING TV. pretty clunky, difficult to navigate

went to PS VUE (which one does not need a playstation for) and for like $57 a month i get about 50 some cable channels, VOD and dvr like functions for channels like abc, fox, cbs, nbc, etc, VOD for just about every channel from a pretty extensive availability list, and, 2 showtime and 2 hbo channels

my only real complaint is that there is no time on it (like the time now) or info for when a episode aired--little stuff

its pic quality and streaming quality is great, though, i have read if you still have dsl, it doesn't work so great=lots of lag

for channels i don't get and do watch some of-like UPN, WGN and HISTORY, I just buy the season of the show on amazon prime

it is still way freaking cheaper then what DIRECTV became; the only reason we had sat tv was for my wife's korean channels and she has now found everything she wants through roku apps like VIKI, CRUNCHYROLL AND DRAMAFEVER. There is also a ton of content from korean tv on youtube as well as some network live streaming on youtube

anyhow, for fewer channels then what we get through psvue now- the cost per month for dtv was initially $94 for 40 channels, korean tv and hbo with dvr. the last month we had it, it had finally creeped up t onear $170 /month with nothing new added!!!!

all they could tell me about the new cost were "random local availability" charges for the broadcast networks and for sports availability (which i never, ever watch)

------------------
with the way high speed internet is going and all of the ways to stream cheaply and even ala carte and all of the devices you can do it with (our roku tv's are awesome-like big tablets with apps rather then a tv) i do not see how the cable companies and sat companies can stay in business

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
except you don't need to buy a box like a Roku

don't need the box or stick anymore!!!

roku tv's in various sizes have been out for about a year or so now and they are very reasonably priced

no more turning channel to number '3' or switching HDMI inputs! the roku tv is basically a large tablet with selectable apps which one can customize to your menu

you can put the thing anywhere you have power and in wifi range. you can hook cable/sat to it but i see no reason to do so with all of the apps available

i wonder- could kodi become an app on roku? it is not now

https://www.roku.com/roku-tv

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WOW !!! . Try this build ...

;) ;) ;)
I love this build! Not only is it great looking, but it is easier to navigate than my SpinzTV build. Cinch to install and run the NoLimits wizard in Kodi. I chose the Adult Nolimits Build. :)

UPDATE 1:45am 1/15/2017:

This Kodi build is great! I don't like the episode displays though, the text is too big and not as easily read without bringing up the information window. But besides that, the navigation is smoother and the whole system is easier navigated than any past add-on release.

I am tweaking it but I can control it from my phone remote very easily.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Agree . It is friggin awesome . I have yet to update it to No Limit on the win 10 laptop . I inherited this laptop with 10 on it . Interesting windows indeed . It is not too slow for just being a 2.6ghz Intel Asus Labtop .A lot of the spyware has been turned off already but I keep the lens cam covered with a clip anyway .
Simply Austin was pretty good also but like he says in his vids , there are so many choices lol . I came across No Limits by accident looking for something completely different related to Kodi .

Also I am one of those people that can be impatient . With Kodi , you have to wait depending on your net speed but it is always worth the wait . I just thought I had broken it or messed things up when it was actually just doing tons of things in the back ground . So , be patient ...

;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agree . It is friggin awesome . I have yet to update it to No Limit on the win 10 laptop . I inherited this laptop with 10 on it . Interesting windows indeed . It is not too slow for just being a 2.6ghz Intel Asus Labtop .A lot of the spyware has been turned off already but I keep the lens cam covered with a clip anyway .
Simply Austin was pretty good also but like he says in his vids , there are so many choices lol . I came across No Limits by accident looking for something completely different related to Kodi .

Also I am one of those people that can be impatient . With Kodi , you have to wait depending on your net speed but it is always worth the wait . I just thought I had broken it or messed things up when it was actually just doing tons of things in the back ground . So , be patient ...

;) ;) ;)

Oh, I am already familiar with that issue! It has been that way since XBMC. :) After all, it has to go out there, find the sources for your selection, index their files then fetch the art and information, all before displaying it in your Kodi. And I am the opposite...I have LOTS of patience. It is basically a requirement for all IT people to be patient. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
don't need the box or stick anymore!!!

roku tv's in various sizes have been out for about a year or so now and they are very reasonably priced

no more turning channel to number '3' or switching HDMI inputs! the roku tv is basically a large tablet with selectable apps which one can customize to your menu

you can put the thing anywhere you have power and in wifi range. you can hook cable/sat to it but i see no reason to do so with all of the apps available

i wonder- could kodi become an app on roku? it is not now

https://www.roku.com/roku-tv

Nah, Kodi is a master control app like the Roku software itself. It would REPLACE Roku, not be an app within it. There are already Kodi based TV boxes, but they are illegal because Kodi does not respect any of the copyright restrictions and they are not enforcing any of the "enhancements" demanded by the Industry to block pirated content streams. There are no laws in place to make watching these streams illegal, just downloading the illegal content. It's like owning a firing pin for a hand grenade. You cannot be fined for having the firing pin, but if you have a hand grenade to go with the pin then you are in violation. No illegal content is downloaded to your computer when you watch stuff on Kodi.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
We use Kodi with some add-on called Exodus. Honestly, I don't like it. I see the benefits, but I would still much rather download a movie (in good quality) I want to see. Haven't done that for ages though. With Kodi it takes at least a couple of minutes to start a movie provided that you already know what you want to watch. It can take much longer still. Having a file on the computer is just a matter of click-click and you got a perfect quality video and no potential streaming issues either. Right now if I want to watch a movie on Kodi, I have to go to Video, then add-ons, then Exodus, then Movie, then it wants me to make some subselection of Movie, then I have to either browse or search, then select the movie, then I have to wait at least 30 seconds while it is searching for "providers", then I have to pick some provider out of a list of god knows how many with no discernable way to decide why to choose one over another (and by the way sometimes you just get some dumb trailer while it says it's two hours long, or you get a completely different movie, Inferno was like that), then finally it starts loading and you get to see something. It is just so overly complicated to navigate, it could be much simpler really. Perhaps other add-ons would be better than Exodus. I can't be arsed about looking into it though. The whole thing was my wife's idea anyway. I hardly use it really. I know I'm nitpicking on some things here. Maybe I should take time to look into it properly and set it all up in a way I like. I just don't want to right now.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
By the way, I highly doubt that anyone could ever charge money for a platform that basically mostly just enables people to view content illegally. Even if it was like 99% legit a company would suffer severely from legal repercussions for the 1% of stuff that is not legal. I don't see that happening ever.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Have any of you tried the Exodus add-on among other ones? Are other ones perhaps better?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not a Kodi user (Amazon Fire at present).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I did see that Kodi is building a native application for XBox One and Windows, so it sounds like they are trying to get into the same space as Fire and Apple TV and Roku ( which dominates this market).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I did see that Kodi is building a native application for XBox One and Windows, so it sounds like they are trying to get into the same space as Fire and Apple TV and Roku ( which dominates this market).
Um, Kodi as XBMC was in this space FIRST, long before there was a Windows Media Center, before Roku and Amazon and Netflix. Just sayin!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I know where Kodi comes from (XBMC as in XBox Media Center). Also that it could not be installed without hacks on the XBox or 360.

The fact is Roku is the 800 lb gorilla in the streaming box world with a market share higher than all the competition added together. Kodi being rewritten as UWP is a step to get into this market where the key is quick and easy configuration, as it will then be a non-hack one click install in XBox and all Windows PCs that use UWP.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know where Kodi comes from (XBMC as in XBox Media Center). Also that it could not be installed without hacks on the XBox or 360.

The fact is Roku is the 800 lb gorilla in the streaming box world with a market share higher than all the competition added together. Kodi being rewritten as UWP is a step to get into this market where the key is quick and easy configuration, as it will then be a non-hack one click install in XBox and all Windows PCs that use UWP.

True, but I really really do not want it to start showing up in commercial boxes. Right now, it is 100% free as is all the content available using it. The moment it gets in bed with Microsoft or any corporation, it will become something I no longer want. I still lament the passing of Napster from cool into uncool and commercial. This is what they have become:

http://us.napster.com/

napster.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Tripler has the answer to your question right here:

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/thr...atform-all-by-itself.28459/page-2#post-904547

I am also currently using that build. It is absolutely awesome, and also very cool looking!

Wow, could that narrator be any more boring!? Lol. But sounds good. The reason I asked if there are any better add-ons though was more from the perspective of "more simplistic and faster to navigate". This appears to be similar in navigation but with a lot more options. Are all Kodi builds using the same style of navigation?