Just In A Mood Tonight (Fibromyalgia flaring again)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yes. Since it came out. But I listen only to the concert version now in my car. Much longer:

Other favorite music to listen to when driving is Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb, On the Turning Away, Momentary Lapse of Reason (entire album), Rush 2112, Earth Wind and Fire...so many...Im talking about long drives, like to Palm Springs (2 hrs). When the drum cascade comes into the song, I always mime it with both hands whilst driving (please avoid me when hearing that song and seeing me driving. :icon_lol:)

Why are you surprised? I was raised on rock and roll and R&B. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Umm, because you said you only listen to Jazz and classical??

There is no "problem", I am just surprised, that's all.
It's like if you suddenly added "thunderstruck" to your playlist. Phil Collins is "smooth stuff", granted, but it was basically pop when it came out.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It just makes me think you would like something like this as well:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Umm, because you said you only listen to Jazz and classical??

There is no "problem", I am just surprised, that's all.
It's like if you suddenly added "thunderstruck" to your playlist. Phil Collins is "smooth stuff", granted, but it was basically pop when it came out.

I did not say that. I said I dont listen to any rap, but that I like all kinds of music (dig it up if you can find it...I vaguely remember the comment). I even like some country and folk music. Jim posted a couple that I liked. I avoid the "packaged" artists like Miley Cyrus, Justin Beiber, etc. But I recognize the talent in artists like Bruno Mars, Pink, Beyonce, Rhianna (kinda). I like a wide swath of music...I was formally trained in it. :)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It just makes me think you would like something like this as well:

It's geolocked, but I have two Cure albums, I also loved Depeche Mode and Thompson Twins. :) There are so many...its is easier to say what I dont like:

• Heavy metal
  • Metal (in general) unless it involves ACTUAL singing, not "reverse vocals" or screaming.
  • Rap (distinguished from Hip Hop by singing the lyrics as opposed to rapping them)
  • Modern opera (the classics I like)
  • Most country and western, but I like the up tempo stuff...pop country
Everything else including stuff I have not heard is fair game. Also, I am a big salsa fan and you probably have never heard of any of the artists. It is made mostly for salsa dancing.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have heard some Salsa, but sure, it's not on my regular "musical radar", most dance isn't. Not because it is bad, but because I have the dancing rhythm of a dead stick. :lol: It simply does not resonate with me.

I guess I don't get how you can disregard entire genre's of music.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have heard some Salsa, but sure, it's not on my regular "musical radar", most dance isn't. Not because it is bad, but because I have the dancing rhythm of a dead stick. :lol: It simply does not resonate with me.

I guess I don't get how you can disregard entire genres of music.

Easy...some of it ISNT music. I am not a fan of rap because it isnt music, it is (bad) poetry. Pop "singers" using autotune are not singers, they are only performers. I do not consider a person whose "musical ability" is restricted to looping snips from ACTUAL music, or programming step sequencers to be a musician. I was classically trained in a music conservatory from about age 10 to age 16, and then followed it up with advanced musical harmony and orchestration. I can write actual sheet music, and I can tell you a given note just by you singing the note. Its called "perfect pitch" and only comes to musicians who have been exposed to scales so long they can hear them in their head. Rock and Roll and all popular music used to be done by ACTUAL musicians playing ACTUAL instruments, not by kids programming computers. It takes no musical talent or training to do that.

This is not music:

Last edited:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
(C)Rap came from prison inmates who were trying to come up with something like music in an environment where they didn't have audio equipment (and wildly failing)

Consider the source.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
(C)Rap came from prison inmates who were trying to come up with something like music in an environment where they didn't have audio equipment (and wildly failing)

Consider the source.

Yep. :) I do think it is an art form of sorts, but more along the lines of poetry and not music. I have heard some rapp-ish music which has actual singers in the tunes, and yet others where a real saxophone or guitar or other real musical instrument was used along with the machines. But then they lose me with lyrics sourced from prison, the ghetto or from doing crimes. :( Artists like Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube and Easy E were real gangsters and all three are ex cons. The record companies made them rich and famous, so now we have this riff raff tooling around in Bentleys and Lamborghini and trashing upscale venues they can now afford to access.

Rap killed music. It made actual trained musicians "uncool", and shoved them out of the industry around 1984. Since then, jazz and pop musicians had a hard time except for those like Michael Jackson and several female singers. But now it seems like real music is making a comeback. It means that truly gifted musicians who have real training or real talent are starting to hit the top of the charts again. :) Im really impressed with some of the gifted ones like Pink who has no formal music training, and was a high school dropout but then earned a GED. But she has managed to master musical harmony, she can score music and has perfect pitch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is hilarious! You have to watch it. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Strangely enough, you can probably thank stuff like American Idol for bringing singing talent back to the fore in a way. :P