Jumping the Shark

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
In the 1970's one of the most popular characters was Fonzie on happy Days - then they had him jump a jetski over a shark... hence the term jumping the shark. Fonzi was a character from blue-collar milwaukee (brewery town) who became more and more "super" as a character.
Some have judged this to be as the beginning of the end for happy days (it lasted another 6 years) but seemed to lose many of the characters over the years with Fonzie slowly becoming the center of the show.
So what caused you to lose interest in a show or tv series. when did it jump the shark for you?

i'll start:
I was fine with the new Star Trek - yeah it was glitzy and too comedic but I was willing to go along with it for the first movie, but when they cast Khan as a wimpy brit named Kahn in Into darkness they jumped the shark for me.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I've also heard it called "nuking the fridge" more recently from when they had Indiana Jones survive a nuclear explosion in a refrigerator in "Kingdom of the Cristal Skull".

I'll pull in a more obscure example - Earth Final Conflict.

Season One was really good stuff. But Season Two jumped the shark almost instantly when the alien baby born in the finale became an adult in one episode and at the same time the Taelons (who up to then had been very consciously kept in a gray area) started being depicted more like Ming the Merciless.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Perhaps this should not even be mentioned in this thread but I think the first 15 mins of sgpoo and it was also jumping Sharknado 1,2,3 and 4 all in that short time ... Or can Sharknado even be used in this category as the jump the shark metaphor ...

;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In the 1970's one of the most popular characters was Fonzie on happy Days - then they had him jump a jetski over a shark... hence the term jumping the shark. Fonzi was a character from blue-collar milwaukee (brewery town) who became more and more "super" as a character.
Some have judged this to be as the beginning of the end for happy days (it lasted another 6 years) but seemed to lose many of the characters over the years with Fonzie slowly becoming the center of the show.
So what caused you to lose interest in a show or tv series. when did it jump the shark for you?

i'll start:
I was fine with the new Star Trek - yeah it was glitzy and too comedic but I was willing to go along with it for the first movie, but when they cast Khan as a wimpy brit named Kahn in Into darkness they jumped the shark for me.

For me, NuTrek jumped the shark when Spock and Uhura became an item. Then it jumped it several more times with thr red matter, the magic tribble blood, the transwarp beaming, the convenient stranding of Kirk on that ice moon where Spock happened to be along with Scotty and that dumb turd creature sidekick. So many more.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I agree OM1 . That movie completed stopped for me in time when they smooched ! WTF moment if I ever saw one ... Spock and Uhura kissing ? @#$%ing never

Haha .Yes . Turd creature indeed .Why were and when the hell did Scotty ever have a side kick ? @#$%ing never ,,,
I hear Tribble Blood Pudding is tasty !
;) ;) ;)

Some women might like Kirk on ice with a shot of tequila ...OMG I spelled tequila right without spell check . Right there is not a good sign ... Does this mean I will start drinking again if I ever see the next nu Drek , I mean Trek ???
Gonna skip it ... Tequila gives ma hallucinations . Kinda like watching nu trek ...

;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree OM1 . That movie completed stopped for me in time when they smooched ! WTF moment if I ever saw one ... Spock and Uhura kissing ? @#$%ing never

Haha .Yes . Turd creature indeed .Why were and when the hell did Scotty ever have a side kick ? @#$%ing never ,,,
I hear Tribble Blood Pudding is tasty !
;) ;) ;)

Some women might like Kirk on ice with a shot of tequila ...OMG I spelled tequila right without spell check . Right there is not a good sign ... Does this mean I will start drinking again if I ever see the next nu Drek , I mean Trek ???
Gonna skip it ... Tequila gives ma hallucinations . Kinda like watching nu trek ...

;) ;) ;)
I would have had that reaction even if she were kissing Kirk or Bones or any of the other crew. There were and are today, rules on that type of fraternization whilst in uniform. It is just not done, for obvious reasons. In the 2009 movie, they were even smooching on the transporter pad in front of the Captain, who asked Spock if they were involved (cause he wanted some).

They didn't just jump the shark, they beamed him up, assimilated him and made him a Starfleet officer!