Joseph Mallozzi discusses his new ideas for stargate.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Maybe they’re a young soldier or a scientist or young anthropologist who joins a team on a visit to a top secret facility. There, to their amazement, they are introduced to Stargate Command, the workings of the intergalactic stargate network, and then informed they will be making a trip through the gate to an alien world. The base commander, General Carter, orders the technician to: “Dial the gate, Walter.” The gate is dialed, a wormhole is established, and the young team step through the event horizon.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2018/02/17/february-17-2018-stargate-possibilities/

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2018/02/16/february-18-2018-stargate-the-next-step/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

From the second link you gave (quote is from Mallozzi):

Joe Mallozzi said:
"With the launch of its new streaming platform and this prequel digital series, MGM is essentially testing the market, checking to see if Stargate fans are still out there and hungry for content. The answer, it would seem, is yes and YES! And while this could very well signal the possibility of an additional web series or two, it’s more likely a step toward the production of an all-new Stargate series. Which then begs a few more questions: What kind of direction will this new series take? Who will be involved? And when will it drop?"

:facepalm: It's that "hungry for content" line that gets to me. Its just so much studio-think! Stargate is not just some gruel which can be ladled into different types of bowls to make it different, its a concept based on a movie and it has form and structure. Stargate Origins does not fit the form or structure. Its just "content" wearing the "Stargate brand".

Last edited:

:facepalm: It's that "hungry for content" line that gets to me. Its just so much studio-think! Stargate is not just some gruel which can be ladled into different types of bowls to make it different, its a concept based on a movie and it has form and structure. Stargate Origins does not fit the form or structure. Its just "content" wearing the "Stargate brand".

I read his statement as proof that he just wants a paycheck. He doesn't care that the stargate story has been milked to death already, he just wants another squeeze of the juice for his own selfish reasons.

The story is done. Dude needs to find a new gig to inflate his delicate ego.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I read his statement as proof that he just wants a paycheck. He doesn't care that the stargate story has been milked to death already, he just wants another squeeze of the juice for his own selfish reasons.

The story is done. Dude needs to find a new gig to inflate his delicate ego.

Mallozzi can only do Brad's Stargate. He does not have the chops to do a mature remake of it, and neither does Brad Wright or Jonathan Glassener.

And yeah, the Brad Wright thing is already wrung out and done for good. There is nothing left to do in that universe. I am not even counting SGU as part of it, and that story is done too.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey

The only reason why stargate died was because the people who wrote it wanted it to die, not the fans. The fans lost interest because they weren't getting what they were asked for but when you try and shove this logic down their throat, they ignore you. Interest doesn't die - just have a look at old trek and old star wars. There is so much interest there but try telling that to these numbskulls.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Mallozzi can only do Brad's Stargate. He does not have the chops to do a mature remake of it, and neither does Brad Wright or Jonathan Glassener.

And yeah, the Brad Wright thing is already wring out and done for good. There is nothing left to do in that universe. I am not even counting SGU as part of it, and that story is done too.
I love their take on stargate. It made me the person I am. People think you are sad when you build your morals around TV shows, but shows like Stargate and Star Trek actually resorted to very little violence and more on conversation/comedy/intelligence aspect which made it a more entertaining show to watch. Right now I look at TV, it's depressing shit everywhere and I blame what is happening to our human race and the middle-east crisis. Horrible destruction which needs to be stopped.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I love their take on stargate. It made me the person I am. People think you are sad when you build your morals around TV shows, but shows like Stargate and Star Trek actually resorted to very little violence and more on conversation/comedy/intelligence aspect which made it a more entertaining show to watch. Right now I look at TV, it's depressing shit everywhere and I blame what is happening to our human race and the middle-east crisis. Horrible destruction which needs to be stopped.

Don't get me wrong, the characters in Stargate SG-1 through Atlantis are beloved to me. :) I am a bigger fan of the original movie characters and concept, but SG-1 and Atlantis came to be loved as much as Star Trek to me, even when they brought Treknology and the Ori to it. But after the Continuum movie, the story is already done. Like BSG.

Last edited:

This is why SGU sucked so bad. As fans of SG-1 and SGA we were given smart, upstanding heroes to cheer for. The good guys were good and the bad guys were bad. That was the whole reason we watched. But how TPTB could think that we would be happy with "good guys" who were reprehensible creeps is beyond me.

Fans of black and white fictional characters don't want a sudden switch to blurred characters with confused morals. And I, for one, have no desire to see the horrible "good guys" from SGU ever resurrected.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is why SGU sucked so bad. As fans of SG-1 and SGA we were given smart, upstanding heroes to cheer for. The good guys were good and the bad guys were bad. That was the whole reason we watched. But how TPTB could think that we would be happy with "good guys" who were reprehensible creeps is beyond me.

Fans of black and white fictional characters don't want a sudden switch to blurred characters with confused morals. And I, for one, have no desire to see the horrible "good guys" from SGU ever resurrected.

Okay, right? It isn't just SGU, its like the latest thing is to take a complete dickish a-hole with psychotic or socipathic tendencies and make him/her the protagonist. Whose agenda is this, and is it to acclimate people into thinking of people who are horrible people as good people? I don't get it.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

They basically tried to rewrite the show rather than taking on a newer series hoping that old fans will accept this change, but knowing humans, we rarely respond positively to change. Especially when you are trying to re-write the entire lore that came before it as if it never existed or the fact that you treat your fans as if we are real idiots. I think this is ultimately what pisses off a lot of fans. Fans are open to new ideas always, but they treat us as if we watch MTV or TLC and that we will watch whatever they throw at us.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2018/03/05/march-5-2018/

Joseph is trying to start a movement on twatter(lol). I don't know who still uses twitter or facebook to spread news. You killed off the series and now you are trying to resurrect it again? Yeah, good luck MGM and you two.

I died inside when watching SGU. It was that bad.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They basically tried to rewrite the show rather than taking on a newer series hoping that old fans will accept this change, but knowing humans, we rarely respond positively to change. Especially when you are trying to re-write the entire lore that came before it as if it never existed or the fact that you treat your fans as if we are real idiots. I think this is ultimately what pisses off a lot of fans. Fans are open to new ideas always, but they treat us as if we watch MTV or TLC and that we will watch whatever they throw at us.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2018/03/05/march-5-2018/

Joseph is trying to start a movement on twatter(lol). I don't know who still uses twitter or facebook to spread news. You killed off the series and now you are trying to resurrect it again? Yeah, good luck MGM and you two.

I died inside when watching SGU. It was that bad.

Mallozzi did get the short end of the stick, as did Paul Mullie. Brad and Robert Cooper pulled a fast one on them, shutting them out of SGU thinking they were now going to step up to the next level. Both were out of their league, and Robert Carlyle's part was not going to write itself (but I bet they thought it would). If you put Meryl Streep in a chicken suit and put her on a corner selling chicken, would she do a better job than Mindy who is a 12th grader at the local high school?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Don't get me wrong, the characters in Stargate SG-1 through Atlantis are beloved to me. :) I am a bigger fan of the original movie characters and concept, but SG-1 and Atlantis came to be loved as much as Star Trek to me, even when they brought Treknology and the Ori to it. But after the Continuum movie, the story is already done. Like BSG.
It's everything from the actors that had fun playing their characters, the lore, the lines and plus a lot of the things can be remembered. Plus, it had good reference points which didn't make fans of fantasy and sci-fi alienated. This series is one series where it gave an optimistic future and not this depressing/dystopian crap where everything needs to be dark and edgy, everything needs to be serious, everything needs drunken cameras, everything needs closeup shots of people's serious face. It's seriousness everywhere.

Mallozzi did get the short end of the stick, as did Paul Mullie. Brad and Robert Cooper pulled a fast one on them, shutting them out of SGU thinking they were now going to step up to the next level. Both were out of their league, and Robert Carlyle's part was not going to write itself (but I bet they thought it would). If you put Meryl Streep in a chicken suit and put her on a corner selling chicken, would she do a better job than Mindy who is a 12th grader at the local high school?

Mallozzi was a willing lap dog for BW and RC. He happily lauded the "genius" of SGU and was more than willing to shit talk the SG-1/SGA fans who rejected SGU. Now he finds himself out of work -- again -- and actually thinks he can gin up interest in franchise fans to give him a steady paycheck -- again -- after treating us so rudely and dismissively some years ago? LOL, yeah, he can go down to the local dog park and smoke a turd. :icon_lol:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Mallozzi was a willing lap dog for BW and RC. He happily lauded the "genius" of SGU and was more than willing to shit talk the SG-1/SGA fans who rejected SGU. Now he finds himself out of work -- again -- and actually thinks he can gin up interest in franchise fans to give him a steady paycheck -- again -- after treating us so rudely and dismissively some years ago? LOL, yeah, he can go down to the local dog park and smoke a turd. :icon_lol:

Looks like we will have to wait a while to see how this went. I doubt that we will see a new stargate series especially since they got it so wrong with origin.
https://mobile.twitter.com/stargatenow

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Is he involved with Origins? If not, why all this? I'm
No he's not involved in origins. He's trying to generate hype to start a new stargate series and obviously he wants in because he's jobless after he got fired from Syfy(No more Dark Matter). He does not have a fall back project to fall back on.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No he's not involved in origins. He's trying to generate hype to start a new stargate series and obviously he wants in because he's jobless after he got fired from Syfy(No more Defiance).

He was a writer on Defiance?

No he's not involved in origins. He's trying to generate hype to start a new stargate series and obviously he wants in because he's jobless after he got fired from Syfy(No more Dark Matter). He does not have a fall back project to fall back on.

Yes, he's clearly scraping to get another Stargate paycheck. Good luck with that! :icon_lol:

BTW, I didn't hate DM but I certainly didn't love it. I gave the show a chance despite the fact that the characters and plot lines were derivative of other, better scifi writing. I never bothered watching the final season because I gave up when Mallozzi tried the hack writing gimmick of having the android discover her humanity. My God, how many times do we have to see that plot played out? If it's not a super fast growing alien/human baby it's some form of AI trying to become human. :rolleye0014::rolleye0014::rolleye0014:

As for Stargate coming back because of Origins, again, good luck with that. Ain't gonna happen Joe. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: