It was Brad Wright and Robert C Cooper who created Stargate Universe, not Joseph Mallozzi.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://filmreviewonline.com/2009/10/07/stargate-universe-producers-brad-wright-robert-cooperp/

Joe Mallozzi gets a lot of bad press from this website. He totally deserves it, but for reasons other than creating SGU. But he did not create Stargate Universe, Brad Wright and Robert C Cooper did.

stargate-brad-wright-robert-cooper-co-creators-and-executive-producers.jpg

Excerpts:
Did you and Robert feel it was a difficult decision to continue to do Stargate, or did you feel that Stargate is ‘what you do’, and you’re going to do more of it?

Brad Wright When we had done 15 seasons of Stargate we wanted to do something new, we wanted to do something different, and when MGM and Syfy approached us we started talking about something new that was also called ‘Stargate’. We came up with a notion and wanted to do something very different, and honestly that’s what this show is. We’re very proud and excited to still be doing what is basically our 16th season of Stargate.
:puke:
Robert Cooper I think we learned a lot from a number of shows that have inspired both of us as television fans. We were huge fans of Firefly, which I think set the bar for modern-day Science Fiction for us. I’m a big fan of The Shield and Friday Night Lights and their shooting styles and the way they use character to forward their series.

Brad Wright We actually hired the director of photography of The Shield to do our first three hours, Ron Schmidt, to help establish that look that we were looking for.

Robert Cooper When we were conceiving the series, we definitely felt that, in some ways, Atlantis and SG-1 had gotten a little too self-referential and a little bit too far into their own mythologies, and we really wanted to make the show that, for a number of reasons, is broader and more accessible to audiences not just of Science Fiction.

We felt that we had told a lot of Stargate stories, 300 or so episodes, and we had to come up with a way to make it fresh. And the best way to do that is to tell stories through new characters’ eyes and really emphasize their perspectives. It’s contemporary, we have the characters who are from our world, and our show doesn’t just take place on a spaceship, it takes place on Earth, and we’re hoping that, by focusing a little bit less on the Science Fiction aspects of the series and a little more on those characters, that we can have audiences who wouldn’t normally embrace a Science Fiction show will embrace our show.

Brad Wright There’s one thing that Robert and I decided when we wanted to step away from the other series, and that was we wanted to step away from rubber-faced, English-speaking aliens, and you will see none of those in the new show.
And an ensemble of people where the performers are both hero and villain, and they can both inhabit the same skin.

MASSIVE FAIL

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan

tetrion

GateFans Noob
"step away from rubber-faced, English-speaking aliens, and you will see none of those in the new show"

Umm, hello Fish-VD-Chloe?!? :(

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The tv series, whereas I believe the movie was created by Emmerich and his bud, who did ID4.

:)

Jason1983

GateFans Noob
If it had been good drama it would of been fine. But they can't write good drama.

Brad always struck me as a stand up kind of guy. I think he knows its his fault and that alot of people are about to lose their jobs because of him. I think he'll man-up and take responsiblity for it at that convention coming up in April. Unlike Rob Cooper who ran away (left the show recently) and Mallozzi who can't stop whinning about everything.
Was that too harsh?

A Nonny Mouse

GateFans Noob
No, not at all. :)

In fact I think you are being too generous with Brad. Remember he was the one who said that previous Stargate was all bubblegum and then had a temper tantrum at Maureen Ryan on the Chicago Tribune with his infamous SGU will still be on air "when V is just another letter in the alphabet" rant.

I think he's only apologising now everything is going tits up as a way of trying to stem the tide of viewers abandoning the show. Pretty much trying to shut the barn door after the horse has bolted IMHO.

stclare

No, not at all. :)

In fact I think you are being too generous with Brad. Remember he was the one who said that previous Stargate was all bubblegum and then had a temper tantrum at Maureen Ryan on the Chicago Tribune with his infamous SGU will still be on air "when V is just another letter in the alphabet" rant.

I think he's only apologising now everything is going tits up as a way of trying to stem the tide of viewers abandoning the show. Pretty much trying to shut the barn door after the horse has bolted IMHO.

i agree with you im afraid any kind of olive branch he may bring to the con is ONLY to try and regain viewers. had sgu been performing well we would not see any such thing.
those interviews he gave were not for papers like the Sun where the journalist digs and digs untill you say something that can be taken out of context.

empty platitudes wont save the show i hope.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
They are basically saying they got sick and tired of writing a stargate storyline so in order to make their lives easier, they will make a D grade show and steal from other drama shows and try and mimic them? Assholes don't realise that the number of fans they lost from axing SGA and SG-1. Don't piss off nerds/geeks and especially sci-fi hardcore fans, you will start eating you will regret it.

This doesn't give hopes for another new stargate series. :'( :(.

tetrion

GateFans Noob
Well as long as these numbnuts are holding the reigns to Stargate, I wouldn't WANT another Stargate series. They obviously are running on empty, and have to rely on tired old clichés to fill the gap. Plus they tried to capitalise on the success of BSG and Lost, while trying to get a piece of the 'reality show' pie, whilst trying to squeeze more out of the Stargate franchise-teat. The problem is that the core demographic for all those shows are COMPLETELY different.

BSG and Lost cater to the mature, sci-fi audience, whilst reality shows cater for the angst-ridden, melodramatic, emo tweens/teens. Somewhere one demographic will be left out, and it's the sci-fi fans in favour of trying to access the lucrative reality show demographic. Hence the end product is voyeuristic, melodramatic, whiny soap that is SGU. The problem is that they thought the sci-fi fans would be all over it, just because it had a vague reference to 'Stargate'. Unfortunately for them, and unlike the squeedrones that will wet themselves at the very mention of 'Stargate', most discerning and intelligent sci-fi fans could see through this tripe for what it really was... a failed attempt to create a show on the tails of other successful shows. Those numbnut writers fail to understand that success can't be created simply by lazily throwing together elements of successful shows, as it simply doesn't work.

I can categorically say that SGU is the WORST sci-fi show I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of bad sci-fi.

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
Calling it science fiction is generous.

I can categorically say that SGU is the WORST sci-fi show I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of bad sci-fi.

I'd say SGU is not science fiction. BJS and Brad Wright have made statements along the lines of "SGU is a drama, not a sci fi show." I even remember a debate on this forum about it with dictionary definitions of the term.

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
I agree

I agree. Brad Wright and Robert Cooper ditched SGA for SGU. They can sugar coat it all they want, but when it comes down to it, they pitched SGU and left SGA to be cancelled in order to get SGU. They are responsible for SGU's direction. They are responsible for their statements which indirectly (or directly) criticized SG-1 and SGA in favor of SGU. They have stayed under the radar for the most part, but when SGU is cancelled they will have to say something. They will have to answer for SGU's failure.

stclare

I agree. Brad Wright and Robert Cooper ditched SGA for SGU. They can sugar coat it all they want, but when it comes down to it, they pitched SGU and left SGA to be cancelled in order to get SGU. They are responsible for SGU's direction. They are responsible for their statements which indirectly (or directly) criticized SG-1 and SGA in favor of SGU. They have stayed under the radar for the most part, but when SGU is cancelled they will have to say something. They will have to answer for SGU's failure.

I can't wait for that to happen. These PTB need to have there egos checked big time.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob
Most people know that Brad and Rob created SGU. It says that in the opening credits of each episode. However, JM has been the most vocal in trash talking and lashing out at fans with lies... So, he deserves what he gets. Brad and Rob deserve what they get too, especially for dumping SGA into JM and PM's lap for the last 2 seasons and then cancelling the show (which WAS doing well in spite of the writing - that's how good the characters/actors were) far too prematurely and with no closure/resolution of plots.

All SGA needed was for them to bring their A game and care a little about the show and it's characters (and no, not in the "shaking things up" way either - Yeah Brad, looking at you. Paul should have never left. And Ford didn't have to go for Ronon to be introduced - Rob...). They should have brought a couple of writers that could write for the characters that they had trouble being creative for. I watched Bloodlines the other day, and it was a good Teal'c back story (so Teyla really is all alone in not having her back story touched on as a main character), but I also notice that it wasn't written by the main producers, so...

Anyway, fresh writers that had watched the show and had good and new ideas were needed and you can't fix that by just starting up another show and turning it into soap-fi instead of sci-fi.

Everything they wanted could have been achieved with SGA, but they got greedy and lazy and wanted to "try something new" because they had no ideas left for SGA. I don't know how they thought that in that state they were going to make anything good... :confused:

Cheers.

P.S.

I had to move your thread again, buddy. Please try to start them up in the right sections. Thanks.
Well said I can't tell better.
ITA They could bring new ideas and new direction over SGA and its cast who was able to make it hiring new writers.This is the only thing to make to improve and help the franchise rather than create new show.They thought named actors and copying mixing others successful shows would bring success and audience.They had the cast for but they criticized their previous ones like shows.They had the audience with SGA.But they ignored this fact and are paying for it.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Well said I can't tell better.
ITA They could bring new ideas and new direction over SGA and its cast who was able to make it hiring new writers.This is the only thing to make to improve and help the franchise rather than create new show.They thought named actors and copying mixing others successful shows would bring success and audience.They had the cast for but they criticized their previous ones like shows.They had the audience with SGA.But they ignored this fact and are paying for it.

Come on according to these guys the audience that they have been entertaining for the last 15 years is so predictable. Guess Not

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I forgot about this thread!

Nice to see this thread after the show got cancelled. What is Rob Cooper doing these days? :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
It's interesting when you read the article and they as much as say that they wanted to do "something different", but with Stargate in the name.

They knew perfectly well that Battlestar Galactiverse wasn't Stargate.

Still pisses me off. That will likely never cease.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know the feeling.

It's interesting when you read the article and they as much as say that they wanted to do "something different", but with Stargate in the name.

They knew perfectly well that Battlestar Galactiverse wasn't Stargate.

Still pisses me off. That will likely never cease.

I go between period of sadness, then anger at this whole thing. I know its just a TV show and an era, but its part of things I like in life. Star Trek is there, along with lots of other things I like to read and watch and see. THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. They reached the pinnacle with Atlantis, and it was truly something different than the Stargate movie, Trek or BSG. The worst thing that happened to Stargate Atlantis was the continued involvement of Brad Wright, and the influence of Joe Mallozzi to the point where they were dragging things down. The city and the actors and the premise and the fanbase was still intact. It was the boredom of the writers that slowed things down a bit. But Stargate Universe was almost stillborn, and it sure didnt look like its parents were Stargate!

Now that its cancelled, I am just pissed about how it all went down. All the bullshit these guys have been feeding us. The spin of numbers and manipulative articles and ass-kissing press releases. But they are still trying to save SGU?

Robert Cooper did the right thing by leaving, but it was too late. Brad needed to leave too. He needs to move on and let somebody else revive Stargate.

general grievous

GateFans Noob
Joe Mallozzi gets a lot of bad press from this website. He totally deserves it, but for reasons other than creating SGU. But he did not create Stargate Universe, Brad Wright and Robert C Cooper did.

I've noticed this too. In fact, most of the episodes that Mallozzi wrote for SGU (as far as I recall) weren't the worst ones at all.

I think SGU is mostly BW's baby. Well he got the slap that he deserved - anywhere from angry critics and fans to low ratings, cancellation, and no channel willing to pick the series up.

LAWL

GateFans Noob
Mozzy maintains an active internet presence, and thus to be their lightning rod. Kind of a shame that Brad Wrong etc don't, as they deserve more crap than Mozzy.