Is the use of the Communication Stones in SGU rape?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Like I said, it's generally a waste of time interacting with the morons over at GW. All that will be accomplished will be your wasted cyber breath and rising blood pressure on your part.

This thread you linked proves it as you're dealing with people who are literally trying to parse the definition of "rape" to fit their argument. And it's really not an argument at all to be honest as the issue of engaging in sex while occupying another person's body simply would be a moot point. It just wouldn't happen. The legal implications alone would prevent it. Even if someone did sign away their "right" to have their body used for sex they could always come back later and file suit. Imagine if you consented to let your body be used for sex and ended up with herpes or AIDS? There is simply no way in hell the military or any institution would let this happen -- period.

In sci-fi there is the element of suspension of disbelief but in this case it simply isn't possible. The legal and moral and ethical implications are so great that it wouldn't be allowed. This is so incredibly obvious that I find it a waste of time to even discuss it (not with you, I mean with people like the idiots over at GW). There quite simply is no argument about it.

In bringing this back to the subject of this thread let me just point out, again, how demented Gilmore's take is on the Stargate fan base. The people over at GW who are advocating for the immoral, unethical and illegal use of the stones are the very people he thinks are worthy Stargate fans. Yet those of us here who eschew the legitimacy of the stones are considered "idiots" by him. How twisted is that?

G

Graybrew1

Like I said, it's generally a waste of time interacting with the morons over at GW. All that will be accomplished will be your wasted cyber breath and rising blood pressure on your part.

This thread you linked proves it as you're dealing with people who are literally trying to parse the definition of "rape" to fit their argument. And it's really not an argument at all to be honest as the issue of engaging in sex while occupying another person's body simply would be a moot point. It just wouldn't happen. The legal implications alone would prevent it. Even if someone did sign away their "right" to have their body used for sex they could always come back later and file suit. Imagine if you consented to let your body be used for sex and ended up with herpes or AIDS? There is simply no way in hell the military or any institution would let this happen -- period.

In sci-fi there is the element of suspension of disbelief but in this case it simply isn't possible. The legal and moral and ethical implications are so great that it wouldn't be allowed. This is so incredibly obvious that I find it a waste of time to even discuss it (not with you, I mean with people like the idiots over at GW). There quite simply is no argument about it.

In bringing this back to the subject of this thread let me just point out, again, how demented Gilmore's take is on the Stargate fan base. The people over at GW who are advocating for the immoral, unethical and illegal use of the stones are the very people he thinks are worthy Stargate fans. Yet those of us here who eschew the legitimacy of the stones are considered "idiots" by him. How twisted is that?

Agreed, and very nice segway. :icon_e_wink:

Lilith

GateFans Noob

KEK IS CRACKED, MAN. For all these people know personal stuff could also mean sex change or frontal lobotomy. That is sex with the improper stranger. Call me crazy but the use of the COMMUNICATION STONES should be used to communicate with your military superiors only. The military doesn't care about your personal life or your sex drive. As soon as the meeting was over the connection should have been severed. Halliburton is having the same problem and they had to appear before Congress. All the waivers that they had employees sign prior to any bad acts by other personnel doesn't absolve them of failing to protect the rights of all the employees. Boys will be boys is not an excuse. This makes me beyond angry and I respect and admire people who can display dignity when affronted with all the rhetoric coming out of the Halliburton Legal team. SORRY, OT.

Tropicana

Council Member
Agreed, and very nice segway. :icon_e_wink:
I thought you did rather well with ur post at GW. I'm impressed, you highlighted what was actually said in the episode and yeah, in no way was actually stated that sexual intercourse could be performed with the host body, while personal stuff could (i.e. urinating, cleaning). Therefore yeah, rape. It's not a grey issue IMO, it's rather black and whote, I fail to see how difficult it is to comprehend it. You do not use another individual's body for sexual pleasure without consent by that individual there and then.

Those that advocate that this isn't rape, well I wouldn't want to meet them since well they are pigs, who probably expect their sexual partners to do their every bidding and be obedient to them, no different to cave men who owns their sexual prey. The very thought disgusts me tbh. How are they any different to wife beaters, or rapists? If they believe that what SGU did in regards to sex with comm stones isn't rape, not only would I be questioning their judge of character, their morality, their sense of right and wrong, but also honestly, I would request the authorities to arrest them and have them psychologically tested. These people should be put under 24/7 watch. These people are the social deviants that cause harm to our societies and countless innocents. Who knows, these people could be paedophiles or abusers behind their screen names. Are they going to tell me human trafficking is fine cos some guy has signed a contract with some guy? Beating your wife up is fine cos you have signed some marriage contract? Seriously? What is wrong with these people?!

They can't see that what they are advocating is so wrong. How could anyone have sex under the influence of comm stones, where the owner of the host body has no say at that moment in time? Plus supposedly had signed a piece of paper with questionable wording makes it even worst! This is not the Stargate that I know and I am disgusted that some of the "fans" have absolutely poor sense of morality, poor sense of justice and judgement. I'm gay and as liberal as you can get and even I am disgusted by this.

G

Graybrew1

I thought you did rather well with ur post at GW. I'm impressed, you highlighted what was actually said in the episode and yeah, in no way was actually stated that sexual intercourse could be performed with the host body, while personal stuff could (i.e. urinating, cleaning). Therefore yeah, rape. It's not a grey issue IMO, it's rather black and whote, I fail to see how difficult it is to comprehend it. You do not use another individual's body for sexual pleasure without consent by that individual there and then.

Those that advocate that this isn't rape, well I wouldn't want to meet them since well they are pigs, who probably expect their sexual partners to do their every bidding and be obedient to them, no different to cave men who owns their sexual prey. The very thought disgusts me tbh. How are they any different to wife beaters, or rapists? If they believe that what SGU did in regards to sex with comm stones isn't rape, not only would I be questioning their judge of character, their morality, their sense of right and wrong, but also honestly, I would request the authorities to arrest them and have them psychologically tested. These people should be put under 24/7 watch. These people are the social deviants that cause harm to our societies and countless innocents. Who knows, these people could be paedophiles or abusers behind their screen names. Are they going to tell me human trafficking is fine cos some guy has signed a contract with some guy? Beating your wife up is fine cos you have signed some marriage contract? Seriously? What is wrong with these people?!

They can't see that what they are advocating is so wrong. How could anyone have sex under the influence of comm stones, where the owner of the host body has no say at that moment in time? Plus supposedly had signed a piece of paper with questionable wording makes it even worst! This is not the Stargate that I know and I am disgusted that some of the "fans" have absolutely poor sense of morality, poor sense of justice and judgement. I'm gay and as liberal as you can get and even I am disgusted by this.

Although it is usually boring when mostley an entire forum agrees on one subject. This one is not to me. Many great points. Green for you.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

snookie and I tried the "drunk- rape" line- being under the influence means a woman/man may not be able to say no, to understand what is happening, being non copos mentos legally (not in your right mind) basically! but how do you have an adult convo with someone who only has a mental age of 10? :facepalm:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
If they accepted such things, then they wouldn't mind if their bodies were being used for sex with members of their opposite sexual preference. And they can't really complain if the communication stones suddenly 'hiccup' and they wake up in the midst of it, I mean if they are fine with the Col. Young and Telford thing. And I think Scott proved that they retain some memories of the activities of a person that inhabits their body, right? When he got some of Telford's memories? It's just sick and ridiculous and completely unrealistic for something that's supposed to be more realistic. The military wouldn't allow the stones to be used like that, hell they'd be sending up the right people and keeping the village idiots on the base going through crash courses.

Tropicana

Council Member
I remember back in SG-1, Carter and SGC would devise new ways to train new SG potentials, with the Avatar system, the offworld bases, everything - one look at SGU and the only conclusion I can get out of it is - either the SG training has gone completely crap, or the SGC aren't even bothering to search for the best and brightest. Remember that Lt. Hayley? She was suppose to represent the future of the SG Program, instead we got a bunch of space cowboys for characters on SGU. How on earth or offworld base of ur choosing, did they make it through the SG training? They are so undisciplined like first year cadets (of any school of ur choosing).

250px-Jennifer_Hailey.jpg
Smart, intelligent, capable!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
They're worse, it's like they took some patients from mental institutions and stuck em in uniforms. Another unrealistic aspect, how they even got in the Stargate program, I can understand one or two blips, but that many in one place? I wouldn't call em space cowboys cause that'd be an insult to space cowboys :P, Mal's totally a space cowboy, lol. Without the hat.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
How many times has sex using the stones featured on the show - once?

It was a bad call for sure but I think they realised that and removed that aspect from the show. Every show makes that silly error they wish they could reverse - 3 shots to get rid of the body?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
It's not that, it's how adamantly people are defending it over at gateworld. lol, of course the writers realized their folly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How many times has sex using the stones featured on the show - once?

It was a bad call for sure but I think they realised that and removed that aspect from the show. Every show makes that silly error they wish they could reverse - 3 shots to get rid of the body?

Young and his wife, season 1 (x2)
Telford and Young's wife (x1)
Wray and her lover (x1, but for a whole week)

Besides those, Young used them to sign divorce papers. Eli and Chloe useed them to go clubbing and to get drunk and end up crying to each other drunk in a car. I think that if the writers had realized how horrible the stones and their use were, they would have found a way to ELIMINATE THEM from the show completely.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan

Besides those, Young used them to sign divorce papers. Eli and Chloe useed them to go clubbing and to get drunk and end up crying to each other drunk in a car. I think that if the writers had realized how horrible the stones and their use were, they would have found a way to ELIMINATE THEM from the show completely.

Not the SEXSTONES Episodes . :puke:

Tropicana

Council Member
They're worse, it's like they took some patients from mental institutions and stuck em in uniforms. Another unrealistic aspect, how they even got in the Stargate program, I can understand one or two blips, but that many in one place? I wouldn't call em space cowboys cause that'd be an insult to space cowboys :P, Mal's totally a space cowboy, lol. Without the hat.
Part of the SG training I thought was to be prepared for whatever happens. One minute you're offworld, the next you could travel back in time, or forward, you could dial into a Goa'uld mothership, or encounter living breathing Ancients, or stumble onto Replicators or a planet about to implode, SGC could be overrun by The Trust operatives or aliens, whatever. Hence why I don't believe in the whole, "wrong people at the wrong place" tagline. That's what the SG training is for, so you are prepared for whatever happens.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Part of the SG training I thought was to be prepared for whatever happens. One minute you're offworld, the next you could travel back in time, or forward, you could dial into a Goa'uld mothership, or encounter living breathing Ancients, or stumble onto Replicators or a planet about to implode, SGC could be overrun by The Trust operatives or aliens, whatever. Hence why I don't believe in the whole, "wrong people at the wrong place" tagline. That's what the SG training is for, so you are prepared for whatever happens.
Yeah, apparently there was no psych evaluation. haha, for something trying to be realistic, they really go left field with it.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan

Well only the first one on that list happened using the stones. The second was the same incident right? The last one was never shown and, other than cuddling, nothing else was implied.

And yes the clubing scene was silly but again this all happened early in Season 1.0 after which they moved away from issues like that. I find it stupid that the writers didn't use it as an opportunity to lay out the boundaries for what must be the first extensive use of the stones in such a situation; but they moved away from it so it wasn't too bad.

As for the divorce papers, I don't really see an issue. It's him signing them, seems a bit unfair to leave his wife unable to move on.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I think Wray having sex was very much implied. Why else did they show the bedroom after the romance stuff? I forget the scene and episode though.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I think Wray having sex was very much implied. Why else did they show the bedroom after the romance stuff? I forget the scene and episode though.

And it is much better for your brain that you did forget it :icon_e_wink:

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan

Cuddling on a bed isn't an implication that they had sex, especially since they were both fully clothed.