Is Star Trek Science Fiction? Fantasy? Broadway Musical? Or something else...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You say that like it's a bad thing. :icon_lol:
Sure if you wish. This was the first one then you suggested making the second one later on. The Broadway Musical quip was just me being humorous (btw did you know Enterprise supposedly had a proposed season 5 script where Porthos would be in command for some reason?).

No! I actually didn't! :) I did not get into the new canon that Enterprise tried to introduce. I liked Porthos in the show, and actually since rewatching the show a couple of times since it's cancellation, it had some refreshing stories to tell, even if I could not quite get with the ham-fisted changes they made in the established canon. I like it better than any of the NuTrek movies or ideas.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It does not matter if you agree with me personally or not. You are wrong regardless of my comments. Voyager was not a star trek and did not explore new worlds and civilizations? That is ALL it did for the most part. And TOS and TNG are the only Trek? Nobody here said that except you.
One day, you will learn young Padawan what sarcasm is, and how to detect it.

No, that is icing from my WIN cake on my chin. :)
Dude, what you do in Ponn Farr, stays in Ponn Farr, M'kay?
You know the Star Wars EU in and out and you can recite the tiniest details of it. You cannot do the same for Star Trek.
Try me :), Hell, I can probably quote the ST "EU" better than you while I am at it. You just find it hard to wrap your noggin around the concept that I can do both.

And you actually use the term "technobabble".
It's a good, catch all phrase for a variety of Scifi shows, learn it, love it, live it. :)

No real Trek fan would ever use that word, even in connection with a different TV show.
No real trek fan?
:lol:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Sure if you wish. This was the first one then you suggested making the second one later on. The Broadway Musical quip was just me being humorous (btw did you know Enterprise supposedly had a proposed season 5 script where Porthos would be in command for some reason?).
There is no Archer, only PORTHOS!!
Oh, and I thought you were thinking of Shatners new proposal for Trek with the musical comment.
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/william-shatner-eyes-star-trek-musical-20151111

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
For you. Legions of Trek fans demand that level of detail to fully immerse themselves in the fictional universe.
If the P***y is green, does that mean it's infected?
I demand this level of detail dammit!!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Funny, cause that's exactly what you are doing :)

LOL!!!
You mean, I don't lockstep agree with you?
Yep.

Wipe your chin dude, you are frothing.

I'm not "mostly a Star Wars fan" at all, that's just another bullshit assumption, like every other one you make, to which:

View attachment 32393

I just see this whole ST vs SW's thing-on this forum at least, as a 'wedge' created by a few who are trying to make a 'split' where one is not needed

are there "fans" out there who will fight tooth and nail for one or the other? most defin. I just don't think that there are any of those ppl here--my "squee" jokes aside!

I will say it yet once more-I find all science based "fiction" or "fantasy", especially that set in space on vessels or space stations, regardless of the scientific validity of said science, extremely entertaining

if ST and SW's were women-I'd be married to both of them!
----------------------------------------------------
and, why can't a "Science" in a piece of entertainment be made up? An example; the TPTB's make up alien languages all the time, but we still accept them as languages regardless of the linguistical probability of them being so.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

By this point in sci fi entertainment-would you reject a season 5 of ENTERPRISE given the choices we have in its (and many other shows) place? just saying

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
For you. Legions of Trek fans demand that level of detail to fully immerse themselves in the fictional universe.

now see? i say "winner" to that because that is a part of what I have been saying

you like it for what I see boring in it.

When I hear some character on ST give some technobabble on something like a "heisenberg compensator", I just say "whatever" and watch for the 'problem/crisis' in the plot to be resolved by the crew.

I can understand why some ppl would take the same thing and write it down, analyze it, have group geek discussions on the scientific validity of that section of script, then write a thesis paper on it.

There are at least 2 distinct types of fans in sci fi-I thought that everyone here at GF's had known that and accepted that for quite some time now? I have known it since about 6th grade when I heard a couple of kids--who were known geeks--discuss there favorite scientifically driven eps of ST TOS.

Me and others--because just about everyone in the days of 5 station tv, was a fan of trek in reruns in the late afternoons--we would say "that episode was pretty boring, they didn't even fire the phasers!" :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just see this whole ST vs SW's thing-on this forum at least, as a 'wedge' created by a few who are trying to make a 'split' where one is not needed

Well, one IS needed. If there is not a clear divide between fantasy and science fiction, we are getting fantasy in our scifi. Or worse, fantasy stuff is trying to call itself science fiction. There are melodramas which wore spacesuits thinking they were science fiction as well (like SGU). If you do not clearly say that you want a specific family of media, you will get something generic, and that is exactly what we are getting.

are there "fans" out there who will fight tooth and nail for one or the other? most defin. I just don't think that there are any of those ppl here--my "squee" jokes aside!

I will say it yet once more-I find all science based "fiction" or "fantasy", especially that set in space on vessels or space stations, regardless of the scientific validity of said science, extremely entertaining

Of course, but many of us out here need more than just "entertaining". How about "Intriguing" or "Encouraging" or "Inspiring"?

if ST and SW's were women-I'd be married to both of them!

Well....these two women (forget who they are) convey two different types of "attractive" (depending on your perspective). I much prefer the one on the right and would probably turn down the one on the left (yes I know who she is). I have a decided preference for the science fiction in Star Trek over the fantasy in Star Wars...UNLESS the story is compelling like it was in the Original Trilogy, and it appears to be going in that direction. Star Trek is aiming for that tree at the end of the road.

13317_n0geVE3E.jpg

and, why can't a "Science" in a piece of entertainment be made up? An example; the TPTB's make up alien languages all the time, but we still accept them as languages regardless of the linguistical probability of them being so.

It can be made up and is made up. :) But it has to be EXPLAINED how that is possible. In Babylon 5, the aliens who could speak English actually learned the language. In Star Trek, we have the Universal Translator and some spoken alien language. There is a clear connection between the function of the Universal Translator and the ability to communicate to alien races. But you can't make up stuff that is just too far out there or it becomes magic. Sorta like seeing a superhero playing basketball with a planet.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well, one IS needed. If there is not a clear divide between fantasy and science fiction, we are getting fantasy in our scifi. Or worse, fantasy stuff is trying to call itself science fiction. There are melodramas which wore spacesuits thinking they were science fiction as well (like SGU). If you do not clearly say that you want a specific family of media, you will get something generic, and that is exactly what we are getting.

Of course, but many of us out here need more than just "entertaining". How about "Intriguing" or "Encouraging" or "Inspiring"?

Well....these two women (forget who they are) convey two different types of "attractive" (depending on your perspective). I much prefer the one on the right and would probably turn down the one on the left (yes I know who she is). I have a decided preference for the science fiction in Star Trek over the fantasy in Star Wars...UNLESS the story is compelling like it was in the Original Trilogy, and it appears to be going in that direction. Star Trek is aiming for that tree at the end of the road.

View attachment 32396

It can be made up and is made up. :) But it has to be EXPLAINED how that is possible. In Babylon 5, the aliens who could speak English actually learned the language. In Star Trek, we have the Universal Translator and some spoken alien language. There is a clear connection between the function of the Universal Translator and the ability to communicate to alien races. But you can't make up stuff that is just too far out there or it becomes magic. Sorta like seeing a superhero playing basketball with a planet.

the UT is just a plot device. yes, they tried to "explain" it in ENTERPRISE (just one more thing that show was burdened with; "explaining" the handy plot devices the writers used to get through script and production issues. the "invention" of transporters as a way to get someone a great distance came about AFTER the TPTB's original idea-landing the enterprise every time-was seen as too time consuming, and the 2nd idea-using the shuttles didn't work because the models were not built yet. so "voila" "presto magico-el transporto!"

IT WAS NOT inspired by or backed up by ANY science--only the economics of a show's production:

"According to The Making of Star Trek, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's original plan did not include transporters, instead calling for characters to land the starship itself. However, this would have required unfeasible and unaffordable sets and model filming, as well as episode running time spent while landing, taking off, etc. The shuttlecraft was the next idea, but when filming began, the full-sized shooting model was not ready. Transporters were devised as a less expensive alternative, achieved by a simple fade-out/fade-in of the subject.[1]"

from wikipedia

the universal translator was a similar "convenience"

Clearly, Roddenberry and/or others could not let stand the notion of having humans and aliens communicating WITHOUT having learned the language(s) or had some translator

having an onboard person to trans for every planet encountered was anti thetical to the whole "explore new worlds" idea

and just having it go unexplained was not something the TPTBs could just let happen

so again-the UT was a prop of convenience-one we see "explained" by Hoshi in ENTERPRISE as a device that "learned" new languages' vocabulary,pronunciation,syntax,etc

but they never truly explained how it did that with languages the computer had no knowledge of in ref to newly encountered races

the same thing happens in many shows where it is just left alone. everyone understands one another and we are just to allow that every alien in the galaxy understands/speaks English with an American dialect!

SG1/SGA did this. they never explained it at all, though a small effort to kind of retcon the english as the off world lingo for the galaxy was attempted. In MOEBIOUS-when they went back in time to ancient Egypt-I dont remember who it was-(Daniel?) was teaching the ancient egyptians english

therefore, they and all others who followed in abduction off world, learned and spoke english

presumably, they also taught the various earth ppls-widely spread, chinese, mongols, celts,etc-english as well--somehow

that is why that "explanation" doesn't work--but I drift :icon_lol:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
:popcorn::popcorn::rolleyes::rolleyes::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the UT is just a plot device. yes, they tried to "explain" it in ENTERPRISE (just one more thing that show was burdened with; "explaining" the handy plot devices the writers used to get through script and production issues. the "invention" of transporters as a way to get someone a great distance came about AFTER the TPTB's original idea-landing the enterprise every time-was seen as too time consuming, and the 2nd idea-using the shuttles didn't work because the models were not built yet. so "voila" "presto magico-el transporto!"

IT WAS NOT inspired by or backed up by ANY science--only the economics of a show's production:

"According to The Making of Star Trek, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's original plan did not include transporters, instead calling for characters to land the starship itself. However, this would have required unfeasible and unaffordable sets and model filming, as well as episode running time spent while landing, taking off, etc. The shuttlecraft was the next idea, but when filming began, the full-sized shooting model was not ready. Transporters were devised as a less expensive alternative, achieved by a simple fade-out/fade-in of the subject.[1]"

from wikipedia

the universal translator was a similar "convenience"

Clearly, Roddenberry and/or others could not let stand the notion of having humans and aliens communicating WITHOUT having learned the language(s) or had some translator

having an onboard person to trans for every planet encountered was anti thetical to the whole "explore new worlds" idea

and just having it go unexplained was not something the TPTBs could just let happen

so again-the UT was a prop of convenience-one we see "explained" by Hoshi in ENTERPRISE as a device that "learned" new languages' vocabulary,pronunciation,syntax,etc

but they never truly explained how it did that with languages the computer had no knowledge of in ref to newly encountered races

the same thing happens in many shows where it is just left alone. everyone understands one another and we are just to allow that every alien in the galaxy understands/speaks English with an American dialect!

SG1/SGA did this. they never explained it at all, though a small effort to kind of retcon the english as the off world lingo for the galaxy was attempted. In MOEBIOUS-when they went back in time to ancient Egypt-I dont remember who it was-(Daniel?) was teaching the ancient egyptians english

therefore, they and all others who followed in abduction off world, learned and spoke english

presumably, they also taught the various earth ppls-widely spread, chinese, mongols, celts,etc-english as well--somehow

that is why that "explanation" doesn't work--but I drift :icon_lol:

a "winner" rating from GF and OM on this....

just how disparate can one word be? :icon_lol: