Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
This thing is only going to work if MGM is open to producing more scifi. It cannot survive on rewatches of it's catalogue movies alone, can it?
It could for a little while, assuming they strip rights from other stations and mediums, but yes, eventually they would have to produce more scifi and/or fantasy. Given that they own Independence day (which is already getting revved) and stargate, they could use them to leverage tv shows in the same way the marvel has done it with Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Daredevil etc.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They better have some original programming if they expect people, like me, to tune in. I'm not going to waste my time if it's just reruns of old movies that are riddled with commercials.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
And you wonder why people don't bother catering to you, don't you?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It could for a little while, assuming they strip rights from other stations and mediums, but yes, eventually they would have to produce more scifi and/or fantasy. Given that they own Independence day (which is already getting revved) and stargate, they could use them to leverage tv shows in the same way the marvel has done it with Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Daredevil etc.

Good points. Both Independence Day and Stargate are getting movies. Not just one movie...Independence Day is getting at least two more movies and maybe three. Stargate is getting three movies. And thee have been rumors about a new Matrix trilogy in 2017.

This could work...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, they don't own Matrix, but they do own The Hobbit, which could lead to a middle earth driven TV series.
They also own a few Stephen King movies, which could lead to a Dark Tower driven TV series as well.

As long as the fans -realise- that this in not just a Sci-fi channel, but an open "speculative fiction" channel, and don't get their collective knickers in a knot because they are showing "fantasy on a Sci fi network", or "Sci fi on a Fantasy network", I do believe it could work quite well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, they don't own Matrix, but they do own The Hobbit, which could lead to a middle earth driven TV series.
They also own a few Stephen King movies, which could lead to a Dark Tower driven TV series as well.

As long as the fans -realise- that this in not just a Sci-fi channel, but an open "speculative fiction" channel, and don't get their collective knickers in a knot because they are showing "fantasy on a Sci fi network", or "Sci fi on a Fantasy network", I do believe it could work quite well.

They only distributed the movie? The WB logo is all over the movie. Didnt they produce most of it in WB studios? I do not have a feeler I can use at WB right now.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
They only distributed the movie? The WB logo is all over the movie. Didnt they produce most of it in WB studios? I do not have a feeler I can use at WB right now.

Nonono
From what I understand, MGM has zero capabilities to distribute anything, but they do hold a large catalogue of IP's for movies. WB is the distributor in this case, which is why it's logo is everywhere.