Important charity event- please read me :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Via Chad Colvin at GW:

Stargate actors — and more often than not, Stargate fandom as a whole — are generally very giving individuals. They regularly provide their time, talent and energy to varieties of different clubs, organizations and charities designed to positively improve their communities and the world as a whole. It’s when both the actors and fandom come together to fight a common cause, however, that allows for magic to truly happen.Such will be the case at the end of September as actors from Stargate (and several other genre series) gather together with fans for a gala event to support research for a rare condition called Hunter syndrome. The event, entitled “Once Upon A Cure”, is being held on September 24 at the Sutton Place Hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Hunter syndrome, which affects roughly 2,000 people worldwide, is a degenerative genetic disease caused by a lack of a specific enzyme that most people are normally born with. The lack of that enzyme over the course of time eventually causes cells and organs to function improperly, in many cases causing mutation and enlargement of both body organs and skeletal structure, amongst other things. While many people with Hunter syndrome can function with a high quality of life, the disease can in many cases attack the brain and central nervous system which causes various degrees of mental impairment. And sadly, since the disease is present at birth and initial symptoms mimic normal childhood maladies (like colds, runny noses and ear infections), many doctors misdiagnose the symptoms until larger issues become apparent.
The gala event, featuring an “Alice In Wonderland” theme, begins with a cocktail reception, followed through the evening by a full plated dinner, chocolate dessert buffet, live and silent auctions, live musical entertainment and a dance featuring a local Vancouver celebrity DJ. Among those with Stargate roots currently planning to attend are:
In addition to those listed above, other notable genre celebrities slated to attend include Smallville‘s Allison Mack, Eureka‘s Colin Ferguson, Christine Chatelain from Fringe, and more!
For more information about this worthy event, visit their Web site! Tickets are still available at $250 each for the full evening with a discount included for tables of eight. If you’re unable to make the event, you can still donate to the cause. And for those that wish to help but are unable to financially, there are multiple volunteer opportunities both before and during the event where your talents can be used and appreciated!

Thanks to Chad Over at GW for bringing this to the fans Attention :D

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Bump!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i dont do charities.

I only do DIRECT charity (giving the help directly to those in need). I do not trust organized charities.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I only do DIRECT charity (giving the help directly to those in need). I do not trust organized charities.

Some charities spend as much as 60% of their donations in fund raising. Imagine that.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I worked on a food drive a couple times and we collected several thousand dollars from a lot of very generous people.

The money was taken directly to Costco, where all that money was used to buy staple food items which were then taken to the local food bank.

Imagine the food bank's disappointment that we just didn't hand them checks for several thousand dollars each. They actually suggested that we do just that.

Really.

I told them that the money gathered was for FOOD...not to pay for the hyped up salaries of management.

Bluce Ree

I worked on a food drive a couple times and we collected several thousand dollars from a lot of very generous people.

The money was taken directly to Costco, where all that money was used to buy staple food items which were then taken to the local food bank.

Imagine the food bank's disappointment that we just didn't hand them checks for several thousand dollars each. They actually suggested that we do just that.

Really.

I told them that the money gathered was for FOOD...not to pay for the hyped up salaries of management.

I gotta green you for that. :beckettu:

Bluce Ree

I would give my eye teeth to be able to go.

Your eyes and teeth? What's the point of being around all these famous people if can't see who you're talking to with an unintelligible lisp?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I gotta green you for that. :beckettu:
Thanks. That kind of crap makes me sick, when it comes to giving to places like food banks.

It's also a reason why you really shouldn't donate "nice" foods to a food bank. There are times when that "nice" food doesn't make it to the folks to whom you intended to give it. Staff will end up taking it home.

Hell, they break up containers of dry oatmeal, rice, beans, etc., into much smaller portions to pass out. At least they couldn't do that very well with the peanut butter we brought them as well.

If I were ever to do something like that again, I'd probably just give out the full containers on Skid Row.

G

Graybrew1

Some charities spend as much as 60% of their donations in fund raising. Imagine that.

I don't understand that. It is a tax write off. Why do they also need to use the charitable contributions to pay for said event?

I used to do something like that, I fronted 100% up front and sent 100% to the charities. I wrote off the expenses for the event. I also included some promotional stuff with company logo on it and that was written off as an advertising expense. All legit per my CPA.

If they are taking 60%, then IMO then are paying somebody a salary for a charitable event. Which is an oxymoronic phrase in my book. What is the frakin point?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Sadly, they could donate 5% of what they take in and still refer to it as being "charitable", even after giving themselves 95% of it for "administrative costs".

Most heads of so-called charitable organizations are paid staff, and they easily make six to seven figure salaries.

G

Graybrew1

Sadly, they could donate 5% of what they take in and still refer to it as being "charitable", even after giving themselves 95% of it for "administrative costs".

Most heads of so-called charitable organizations are paid staff, and they easily make six to seven figure salaries.

I had heard that about a certain one of them from years ago, beginning with the letter......U. :rolleyes: I thought the others had changed to make sure they were never compared to said company. If not that just makes me sick.

I wish the lawmakers could change that law, I think no more than 25% should be spent on running a charity or they should not also be able to write it off. Watch how fast they learn to cut those salaries.

G

Graybrew1

That link is nonsense. Everything posted here is understood as being literal. :rolleyes:

To keep it on topic....I stated I would give my "eye teeth" to be able to go to the event. I meant it. That would be light at the end of a long dark tunnel, that we all call life. LOL. Too bad we can't get a bunch of GFers together and just go. :D

It is a phrase I picked up from my Nana as a little girl. The way I understand it, they are the most important teeth needed to eat and therefore to survive. When saying you would give them up for something it expresses a great desire to be able to have said thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks. That kind of crap makes me sick, when it comes to giving to places like food banks.

It's also a reason why you really shouldn't donate "nice" foods to a food bank. There are times when that "nice" food doesn't make it to the folks to whom you intended to give it. Staff will end up taking it home.

Hell, they break up containers of dry oatmeal, rice, beans, etc., into much smaller portions to pass out. At least they couldn't do that very well with the peanut butter we brought them as well.

If I were ever to do something like that again, I'd probably just give out the full containers on Skid Row.

I have done exactly that. I took a group of inner city kids (under church supervision) to skid row and we passed out sandwiches and drinks and plastic combs and brushes and soap and donated clothes from two vans. THAT is charity.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I have done exactly that. I took a group of inner city kids (under church supervision) to skid row and we passed out sandwiches and drinks and plastic combs and brushes and soap and donated clothes from two vans. THAT is charity.
Did you know that in some municipalities, it's actually illegal to do what you and those kids did?

The authorities are under the wrongheaded idea that such largess would encourage more people to become homeless.

Bluce Ree

I don't understand that. It is a tax write off. Why do they also need to use the charitable contributions to pay for said event?

I used to do something like that, I fronted 100% up front and sent 100% to the charities. I wrote off the expenses for the event. I also included some promotional stuff with company logo on it and that was written off as an advertising expense. All legit per my CPA.

If they are taking 60%, then IMO then are paying somebody a salary for a charitable event. Which is an oxymoronic phrase in my book. What is the frakin point?

Individuals benefit from the write-offs. Charities are tax-exempt. Like churches, they don't pay taxes. The system leaves lots of room for abuse in various ways such as paying out ridiculous salaries, advertising contracts, fundraising, etc. Spending 60% for fundraising, to me, is a complete perversion of what charities should be doing with their funds.

G

Graybrew1

That is just so sad. :(
I wanted to donate money to help the kids that need the measles vaccine that I saw on the news.
I just don't know which organization to donate to.:confused: