If only they encountered a race with an iris on their SG

Tropicana

Council Member
I wish, there was a race in the Pegasus Galaxy that had a similar set up to the SGC in that, due to the Wraith attacks, the entire civilisation hid underground (a bit like the Genii), their Stargate had a manual shield/iris to protect themselves. I think it would be an interesting development.

Like AR-4 or something steps through the gate (not that they use MALPs a lot) and then nothing from them. They do some tests like sending signals through, that allows McKay to find out that there is an iris at the other gate.

They establish contact, meet in a neutral planet, form an alliance pact; and commit to eliminating the Wraith threat once and for all - exchanging intel and tech and tour of facilities, because I feel that there has to be a powerful human race in the PG, hidden from the Wraith, long enough for vast technological development.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I wish, there was a race in the Pegasus Galaxy that had a similar set up to the SGC in that, due to the Wraith attacks, the entire civilisation hid underground (a bit like the Genii), their Stargate had a manual shield/iris to protect themselves. I think it would be an interesting development.

Like AR-4 or something steps through the gate (not that they use MALPs a lot) and then nothing from them. They do some tests like sending signals through, that allows McKay to find out that there is an iris at the other gate.

They establish contact, meet in a neutral planet, form an alliance pact; and commit to eliminating the Wraith threat once and for all - exchanging intel and tech and tour of facilities, because I feel that there has to be a powerful human race in the PG, hidden from the Wraith, long enough for vast technological development.
Awww... poor AR-4! :(

They didn't address exactly this as far as I recall on SGA, but IMO the Wraith would immediately fly over to that world and destroy the people. Isn't that what they did to races that got sufficiently advanced to resist the Wraith in some form?

So that was the explanation for the lack of advanced cultures in Pegasus, and I think the writers found an excellent solution to that when they introduced the concept of the Travelers. Too bad they didn't explore that premise and turned them into a real ally, or at least a half ally...

Tropicana

Council Member
Aye, however, if a civilisation can hide due to natural shielding from natural surroundings and/or enhanced technological developments, it would be kinda nifty. A natural human race in the PG that can resist Wraith attacks would be cool.

B

Backstep

In the ep Ghost in the Machine Weir returns to Atlantis and tell them there are a lot of hidden civilizations, The evil Asgard one of them?