Hyperion Coming to SyFy

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
bradley-cooper-hyperion.jpg

As the title says, Dan Simmons' Hyperion series is coming to Syfy. I have read the whole series. I didn't really like as it felt a bit too pretentious, overly melodramatic, and overly heavy with the literary prose/fanciness (Keats' obsession). I did like the first two books though. There is a lot of sci-fi content in here as well. So those are pluses. But the last few books were disappointing. Who knows, maybe on screen it'll be more enjoyable. If you haven't read the books, don't worry about it (they won the Hugo if that means anything to you guys). Here's an article:

http://screenrant.com/hyperion-tv-series-syfy/

The obvious minus is that it's on syfy. There's also the involvement of Bradley Cooper. I don't really like him as an actor. But maybe he really likes the material so that's something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As the title says, Dan Simmons' Hyperion series is coming to Syfy. I have read the whole series. I didn't really like as it felt a bit too pretentious, overly melodramatic, and overly heavy with the literary prose/fanciness (Keats' obsession). I did like the first two books though. There is a lot of sci-fi content in here as well. So those are pluses. But the last few books were disappointing. Who knows, maybe on screen it'll be more enjoyable. If you haven't read the books, don't worry about it (they won the Hugo if that means anything to you guys). Here's an article:

http://screenrant.com/hyperion-tv-series-syfy/

The obvious minus is that it's on syfy. There's also the involvement of Bradley Cooper. I don't really like him as an actor. But maybe he really likes the material so that's something.

This looks interesting. Will it be animated?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We can hope, although the article calling Ascension "science fiction" was giggle worthy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We can hope, although the article calling Ascension "science fiction" was giggle worthy.

Ascension was devoid of any science whatsoever. It was fake science fiction about a fake spaceship on a fake mission. How apropos!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Ascension was devoid of any science whatsoever. It was fake science fiction about a fake spaceship on a fake mission. How apropos!

With fake women sporting fake boobs. This one had all the crosses you hate to bear in one, eh? :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

but what is the future of ascencion? are they going to series with it?

i mean to compare crap to dung on syfy,up against DEFIANCE or DOMINION, ASCENSION was a little above the low standards they have set for themselves there

I am hoping they do better though

getting a little miffed at finding new sci fi by accident--case in point; WAYWARD PINES.

If like me and you never heard of the books, by the adverts for the show, you would never have thought it to be anything more then a mystery/crime drama deal

I want SYFY to once again be unafraid to make good/great, space based SCI FI--stop trying to dup the 'happy accident' of nuBSG (yes, I just put my flak vest on) and get on with it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
but what is the future of ascencion? are they going to series with it?

No.

i mean to compare crap to dung on syfy,up against DEFIANCE or DOMINION, ASCENSION was a little above the low standards they have set for themselves there

Defiance's ratings are not horrible (as Syfy shows go).
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/defiance-season-two-ratings-32932/

Neither are Dominion's ratings.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/dominion-season-one-ratings-32929/

Ascension's ratings were in the same zone as Defiance, but it did not have a game revenue stream. Besides that, they already decided against a series:
http://deadline.com/2015/03/ascension-not-going-as-series-syfy-1201389677/

I am hoping they do better though

getting a little miffed at finding new sci fi by accident--case in point; WAYWARD PINES.

If like me and you never heard of the books, by the adverts for the show, you would never have thought it to be anything more then a mystery/crime drama deal

Thanks for that! I will check it out. Check out Parallels on Netflix. Im gonna do a separate thread on it but I just watched it and WOW.

I want SYFY to once again be unafraid to make good/great, space based SCI FI--stop trying to dup the 'happy accident' of nuBSG (yes, I just put my flak vest on) and get on with it

They need different show pickers. :) They no doubt get all sorts of proposals, get a chance to watch countless pilots and review awesome story boards, and then the "show picker" is the one who decides which ones get queued for consideration. Also, the damned bean counters have to take a look at the costs for production and projected return on investment, etc.

I really think the future of good science fiction shows is going to be in the on demand area. I am betting on Netflix to either revive an iconic show like Firefly or produce one in house (or buy it from a production company). Syfy is still not getting it.