Hunters on SyFy

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This week on Monday SyFy premiered a new series titled "Hunters". The show appears to follow a secret counterterrorism unit that is working to unearth and stop a network of extraterrestrials who are apparently up to no good.

Based on the premiere this show could be awful or pretty good. It depends on what they choose to emphasize. Overall the acting was good and there were interesting threads in the story. And when the show was focused on the unit and its operations it was fun.

Unfortunately, there was also a goodly helping of interpersonal drama which had echoes of The Walking Dead in it - when this was the focus the show just died. We have yet another lead character who is conflicted (in this case also suffering from PTSD) and who has a troubled child in the house (in this case he is caring for the daughter of his late partner).

If they choose going forward to put the agency and its work in the foreground this could be a winner. If they choose the other route it will probably be borderline unwatchable. I'm hoping they choose wisely.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I was planning on catching this in rerun later tonight. I hope this one is watchable with characters that are actually worth relating to.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Halfway through the premiere episode and I'm not lovin' it. Shower scene? Really? I just don't care about the personal lives of these "soldiers" at all.

ETA: The acting is universally terrible. Seriously, it's terrible.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
M'kay, in short -- very cheap and very poorly done. The cliche' characters fairly drip from the ceiling in this one. Highly unbelievable Black Ops organization. I would break it down but I realize it's not really worth the effort. Highly doubtful that I will waste anymore time on this one.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Kinda like I said - when the show focuses on the unit and what it does it isn't bad. When it looks at their personal lives it just dies.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Kinda like I said - when the show focuses on the unit and what it does it isn't bad. When it looks at their personal lives it just dies.

I find the production to be painfully cheap. Bad writing, bad acting and cheap FX. So not worth it in my estimation.

*Nathan Phillips isn't bad in my opinion, but he's saddled with a tired, cliche' character right from the start.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I might give it one more week. If it is still focused on the personal lives then I'm out too.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I might give it one more week. If it is still focused on the personal lives then I'm out too.

I'd probably be more lenient if I didn't have cheap but well done shows to compare it to like Z Nation, etc. I wouldn't say I'm spoiled by these shows, but I'm edified of the fact that a good story can be told without a huge budget behind it. Unfortunately Hunters just smacks of being amateurish by comparison. Not surprising a TWD producer has her hand in it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was actually thinking about that. Gale Anne Hurd is okay when she is partnered with James Cameron (like in the Terminator), but by herself she seems to always want characters with personal problems or conditions (like the PTSD here or examples too numerous to cite on TWD) and always gives personal lives over emphasis.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Episode two. Better than Episode one but jury is still majorly out. It turns out the female lead is an alien and the agency knows about it. Also that she is having problems suppressing her alien "nature" and the agency head is not letting her take treatments that would help control it at the expense of weakening her. At least there was no shipping and this time they mostly tried to stay focused on the agency.

It's hard to know what to make of this show. In a weird way it feels like a mashup of (of all things) Alien Nation and La Femme Nikita. And in a way it faces the same challenge La Femme Nikita did - how to balance the "Section One" plot with personal lives. When they emphasized Section One that show was a nice piece of film noir. When they emphasized the romance it was unwatchable.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well this week's episode had its good points and its bad points.

On the good side the whole team operation in the South American jungle was well staged. It was atmospheric and the acting worked well in it.

On the bad side, they wasted 15 minutes of time on the background of a character. And like the other episodes whenever they do into the personal lives of the characters the show just dies - and it did again :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well this week's episode had its good points and its bad points.

On the good side the whole team operation in the South American jungle was well staged. It was atmospheric and the acting worked well in it.

On the bad side, they wasted 15 minutes of time on the background of a character. And like the other episodes whenever they do into the personal lives of the characters the show just dies - and it did again :)

Dude, do yourself a favor and...

Ejecting-Land-of-Opportunity.png

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I might. I don't recall a show in recent memory where it dropped off so badly whenever it went into the personal side of the characters.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I might. I don't recall a show in recent memory where it dropped off so badly whenever it went into the personal side of the characters.

The personal side of the characters is very cliche' and forced. The archetype of the troubled FBI agent (read "cop") has been done to death. And the construct of his "family" was just so clunky and dumb that I didn't care at all about his wife and his faux-daughter.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
FYI Hunters seems like it is not getting a season two, as SyFy moved it to midnight for the remaining episodes... :icon_rotflmao:

Can't blame anyone for not liking it. As stated originally when they were on the job the show was okay but when it got into their personal lives...man was it awful.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
FYI Hunters seems like it is not getting a season two, as SyFy moved it to midnight for the remaining episodes... :icon_rotflmao:

Can't blame anyone for not liking it. As stated originally when they were on the job the show was okay but when it got into their personal lives...man was it awful.

TRANSLATION: When there was a nice juicy bait worm, it was appealing, But when the bait was eaten, all that was left was that nasty hook. :)

Soap operas are by far the easiest writing there is. Basic storytelling, with the next contributor merely stitching their part onto the previous writer, and passing the loose story on to the next writer. Soaps employ sometimes a hundred different writers. It keeps them working and satisfies the WGA. So, everything tries to use the soap teams whenever possible and they dress it up as fantasy, scifi, cop dramas, period pieces, etc. It's consumer writing.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
TRANSLATION: When there was a nice juicy bait worm, it was appealing, But when the bait was eaten, all that was left was that nasty hook. :)

Soap operas are by far the easiest writing there is. Basic storytelling, with the next contributor merely stitching their part onto the previous writer, and passing the loose story on to the next writer. Soaps employ sometimes a hundred different writers. It keeps them working and satisfies the WGA. So, everything tries to use the soap teams whenever possible and they dress it up as fantasy, scifi, cop dramas, period pieces, etc. It's consumer writing.

By that definition, this is the Big Lots of consumer writing....

http://www.biglots.com

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Early on I gave up on this show due not only to the soap element but the fact that they were clearly going to drag out revealing exactly what the hell was going on. Quite honestly I hate that shit.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Early on I gave up on this show due not only to the soap element but the fact that they were clearly going to drag out revealing exactly what the hell was going on. Quite honestly I hate that shit.

ME TOO. I was not a fan of Lost, and I am not at all into dragged out mysteries that never get solved or demand that "the viewer decides".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://www.fromthewritersdesk.net/2011/04/soap-opera-plots-time-tested-reliable.html

Entire Article:

Soap Opera Plots--Time Tested Reliable Storylines

Once upon a time, my friends and I were all soap opera junkies. We loved our soaps, and I taped my favorite soap everyday for years. How times have changed. Now I don't bother watching soaps anymore, and neither do any of my friends. We all stopped watching them years ago. I don't think it's our age. Both of my grandmothers were still watching their favorite soap operas when they were well into their eighties. I think it has to do with the fact that soap operas today are so poorly written. Soap operas used to be about love and romance. Then the producers decided they wanted younger, "more hip," audiences, so the writers began writing outrageous story lines about demonic possession, characters being buried alive, couples going back to the garden of Eden, and UFOs. Good plot lines for The X Files, but definitely not what we wanted to see on Days of Our Lives.

Those of us who are fiction writers or storytellers know that basic plot structure revolves around conflict, and how the characters react to and resolve the conflict. For many, many years, soap operas relied on these classic plot lines which consistently worked and kept viewers watching. They were:

The Romantic Triangle. Boy meets girl. They fall in madly love. But another girl is also in love with the same boy, so she plots and schemes, relentlessly, to break them up, becoming, "The Girl We Love to Hate." Such was the Steve, Alice and Rachel triangle on Another Worldthat kept viewers watching for years. It's even written up in Wikipedia.

Extra-Marital Affairs and Illegitimate Children.
The side effect of the romantic triangle.Days of our Lives kept their audience riveted for years, wondering when Mickey would find out that Mike was actually his brother Bill's son.

Long Lost or Unknown Half Siblings. Boy meets girl. It's love at first sight. But one of their mothers is dead set against their relationship, and she does everything in her power to break them up. Soon the truth comes out. Years ago, Mom's lover was the father of her child's love interest, and they are half brother and sister. Fortunately, this always comes out before the romance is consummated. A good plot twist is when later on, after they've both found other love interests, the other mother comes forward and says no, so and so was not the father of her child after all, so they were never half siblings in the first place. The fun never stops.

The Big Frame-Up. From time to time a villain has to be killed off, and what better way to do it than to have a favorite leading man or lady framed for a crime they didn't commit. Of course, they would eventually be found innocent, but never until after they'd gone to trial, been convicted, and ended up in prison. This plot line can be easily adapted to 21st century technology by simply having the real killer tamper with the DNA test results.

Catastrophic Diseases or Injuries. Hodgkin's Disease was common on soaps. So were brain tumors and comas. Pregnancies were, more often than not, high-risk. Miscarriages were frequent and could be caused by the strangest things, such as tripping over a wastepaper basket. And how many times did we see our favorite characters go blind or deaf? But, at least in Soap Opera Land, everyone always recovered--only to be struck down by another malady a few years later. The only disease that soap opera characters were ever immune to was Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Amnesia. A rare medical condition in the real world, but at one time it was quite common on soaps. Having a favorite character lose his or her memory and wander off somewhere, with everyone else thinking they were dead, made for great soap opera watching.

Returning From the Dead. This is oftentimes the end result of amnesia. A favorite character is involved in a plane crash or other catastrophic event. He or she is missing and presumed dead, but the body is never found. The character leaves the show, only to return sometime later. (Sometimes played by a different actor upon returning.) This plot line has many possibilities. The character may be recovering from the aforementioned amnesia, or maybe not. Either way, the memories will eventually return, but oftentimes not until after experiencing another catastrophic event. The other scenario is when the character returns after having finally escaped from being held captive somewhere. Regardless of the circumstances, no one ever makes it back home until after their spouse or lover has moved on and found someone else. However, this plot can be overdone. Come on, Days of Our Lives. How many times can Stephano DeMira be brought back from the dead?

And there you have it. Any romance writer worth his or her salt knows that such stories of star-crossed lovers have worked since Romeo and Juliet. Too bad that soap opera writers abandoned the basics in favor of the bizarre. Once they did, they lost touch with their loyal viewers, and once an audience is lost, it's nearly impossible to get it back.