Humans on AMC: Think A.I. meets I, Robot

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
everyone seems to want on the TERMINATOR, BSG and other bandwagon of "AI evil"---

and I hope no one was surprised that the "maid" was an AI?

i thought it was just a snobbish kind of movie; besides the AI evil theme, it seemed to want to pay a sort of homage to self made billionaires in tech-like they are someone to want to aspire to be

just didn't like it
The AI in Humans are not evil. If you watched it all, you would see, it's the human creators that are showing cruel traits. The AI just want to thrive and survive.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
not talking about humans-- responding to OM's comment on ex machina
Ah, okay. Sorry.
Yes, Ex Machina was not my favorite movie. It started out okay but failed in execution IMO. I don't have an issue with "another evil AI" being a thing. I have a problem with when it's done wrong. There's tons of "things" that are done many times to death but still when done right you just can't get enough of it. Just look at detective shows for instance, what are there like a billion of them? Still, I can't get enough of Sherlock, Luther, or Elementary.

I think Humans does AI right, they really humanized the AI and have some very interesting plot devices such as the irony of how the humans in the show are more evil and self concerned and the AI are very naive, trusting and group oriented.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
watching this on amazon

almost done

anyone get the sense of similarity when we see Odi and the William Hurt character together?

esp when he is working on Odi--

I get memories of Geppetto and Pinocchio--anyone else?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
watching this on amazon

almost done

anyone get the sense of similarity when we see Odi and the William Hurt character together?

esp when he is working on Odi--

I get memories of Geppetto and Pinocchio--anyone else?

YES! I noticed that right away. He did the same thing in A.I. Artificial Intelligence.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
YES! I noticed that right away. He did the same thing in A.I. Artificial Intelligence.

I wonder if it was intentional? Niska was even a bit like Jiminy Cricket fluttering about, watching, asking questions

even the positioning of the actors was very similar

so allow for Pinnoch to be the size of Odi and remember back to the scene when Odi returned and Niska was in the house. George was trying to get some thing a ma do to work in Odi's mouth....

cn82.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
production on series 2 has begun--airing here in '17 (spring?)

good news= we get more Gemma Chan
bad news= we get Carrie Ann Moss--I really hope they do not have her do a fake British accent

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/678779-production-begins-on-humans-season-2

-------------------------------------

other thoughts:

those of us in the GF's minority who liked BSG and CAPRICA may get nostalgic and then pissed because we realize that if those TPTB's would have written CAPRICA in a manner similar to HUMANS --with all of the "ground level" detail, the science and coding, the close knot interaction with humanity, etc of turning an AI "sentient"--just what a good show we could of had but never did
:(

-interesting to "observe" also, just how acceptable it is for some to like and enjoy the portrayal of sentient, feeling Androids on HUMANS but so critical of the same on BSG--not judging just "noticing" :)

yes, the writing, the execution, production, direction, yup,got it....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wonder if it was intentional? Niska was even a bit like Jiminy Cricket fluttering about, watching, asking questions

even the positioning of the actors was very similar

so allow for Pinnoch to be the size of Odi and remember back to the scene when Odi returned and Niska was in the house. George was trying to get some thing a ma do to work in Odi's mouth....

cn82.jpg

Well...the story behind Humans is not an allegory of the Pinocchio story, so I think that an over-arcing reference to that story is a stretch. It has far more in common with A.I. the movie from Spielberg than Pinocchio IMO. How much of the show have you watched?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and i finished the series. i hope they do not muddle up S2 with a lot of characters, be nice if they keep it clean and simple with the small cast

-----------------------------\

one thing i did not agree with--just one

the way they had the Missus react to hubby sticking his winkie into a machine was way overdone--she seemed to be far more accepting of the possibility that Junior got his pickle wet...

it would be like a wife getting upset over her husband masturbating--there is no love, no commitment, no chance of running off with her.

but they needed some device to get the plot moving so i guess that was the best they could do

but this is just a small thing, the show is very good

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
ARGGGHH someone mentioned that horrible film I, Robot! Asimov is spinning in his grave!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Humans Season 2. The second season is even better than the first, but it remains CONSISTENT. The characters did not suddenly change, the writing has stayed top notch, and the feel is exactly right. It's flawless, cerebral science fiction at it's very best. The British evidently never forgot how to write scifi! The characters in this show are not young fresh faced millennial social media butterflies. They look like regular people, living in regular environments and that makes them very relate-able.

Worth a watch! See it on Kodi or AMC

Carrie-Anne Fisher has been added, and she is better in this than she was in The Matrix. This FITS her. Must watch!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
is it just me, or are the AI's eye color now changed to green?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
is it just me, or are the AI's eye color now changed to green?

It was always green. The colors mean things. Blue eyed ones mean unbonded, basic programming Synths. Green means bonded with a Primary User. Conscious synths can have either color, because being bonded or not has nothing to do with the consciousness code. In Season 2, we see a child synth's eyes go from blue to green upon being bonded.