Humans on AMC: Think A.I. meets I, Robot

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Living in UK now, my love of BBC is dwindled a bit. I have only seen first ep. I liked it , but he seemed not to as much. I am hoping this would be a joint show so I am waiting for when he has time to do with for rest of eps I have. Maybe this weekend, I sense this is going to get dark, ala Ex Machina and I just hope it is better because I was very disappointed with that movie.

Meaning your other half? :) He will like it. And yes, it gets a bit dark in places but not the whole show. This is pure science fiction. If I remember your tastes, I think you will LOVE this show after you watch the rest of the episodes.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Episode 4. WOW

This show is even BETTER than before? OMG. The writing of this show, and the social commentary it makes is just so intelligently done. The drama is exactly where it should be. The pacing is also excellent. This show is decidedly low budget, but it does not need more money. It is just fine the way it is. Why do the British write so much better science fiction than Americans? This is pure science fiction in the spirit of the genre. And it is done with an absolute minimum of special effects and makeup.

Unfortunately, I think that those who are looking for soap fi are not going to like this. There are sexual issues in the show a bit, but no T & A gratuity for teen boys. No beefcake for teen girls much either. As sad as that is, this might not be enough for the shallow American audience.

Agree 100%. This show is a perfect example of the definition of a genuine science fiction story. The premise is the fictional exploration of futuristic technology upon humans (and you can't get more science fiction than that). And they are exploring that premise exceptionally well despite a dearth of expensive special effects.

As for the romantic and sexual issues in this show, they are a perfect example of the social effects of human-looking technology upon the people who use it. It's not SGU "broom closet melodrama" by any stretch of the imagination. The interpersonal situations and issues are actually interesting to watch as they are clearly tied to the science fiction premise of the technology involved.

Great show all around. I hope it has a good run. :encouragement:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agree 100%. This show is a perfect example of the definition of a genuine science fiction story. The premise is the fictional exploration of futuristic technology upon humans (and you can't get more science fiction than that). And they are exploring that premise exceptionally well despite a dearth of expensive special effects.

As for the romantic and sexual issues in this show, they are a perfect example of the social effects of human-looking technology upon the people who use it. It's not SGU "broom closet melodrama" by any stretch of the imagination. The interpersonal situations and issues are actually interesting to watch as they are clearly tied to the science fiction premise of the technology involved.

Great show all around. I hope it has a good run. :encouragement:

Episode 6

Mia awakens. AWESOME episode. The writing of this show is absolutely brilliant. They manage to do everything right. I cannot think of a single thing I don't like about this show, and it leaves me thinking about stuff after I have watched the episodes.

The bolded in your comment is a key observation. In the garbage soapfi produced here in the Americas (yes, that includes Canada :)), we get gratuitous sex scenes in broom closets and behind bulkheads, bouncing boobs and shirtless hunks, having zero connection to the story or the premise.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Alas only two episodes remaining. No word yet on whether it will receive a second season although AMC has the finances to make it happen if Channel 4 or Kudos do not have the financing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Alas only two episodes remaining. No word yet on whether it will receive a second season although AMC has the finances to make it happen if Channel 4 or Kudos do not have the financing.

It costs next to nothing to make. This is about as basic as it gets, production-wise.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Episode 6

Mia awakens. AWESOME episode. The writing of this show is absolutely brilliant. They manage to do everything right. I cannot think of a single thing I don't like about this show, and it leaves me thinking about stuff after I have watched the episodes.

The bolded in your comment is a key observation. In the garbage soapfi produced here in the Americas (yes, that includes Canada :)), we get gratuitous sex scenes in broom closets and behind bulkheads, bouncing boobs and shirtless hunks, having zero connection to the story or the premise.

I will never forget how disconnected from a science fiction premise the interpersonal relationships were on SGU. The majority of the issues they struggled with on that show could all have been played out back on earth with no futuristic technology involved. That wasn't science fiction. It was a soap opera; one that didn't even do a good job of masquerading as scifi. Compare this to Humans where they expertly deliver interpersonal stories that are directly affected by the use of futuristic technology within that world. Humans is, without a doubt, pure science fiction.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
BBC has tons of money, no reason for them to ever cancel a good show.

I never had a clue about this before moving here and would have sworn it was a joke but...
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/pa...ages=SU5GTz1Zb3VyIFNlc3Npb24gSGFzIEV4cGlyZWQK

It is not cheap either. We had to pay 23 pounds/35 dollars a month, that's per actual TV-so we only have one, for first 6 months and now it is 12.50 pounds/19.50 dollars a month. This is 330 dollars for first year per TV in UK and 226 for every year after that. It's called a TV tax and money is for BBC.

It is mandatory, if you don't pay it and have a TV with even just an antenna they will fine you. They have TV cops and it is required by law for all stores that sell TVs to report buyers information to UK TV licensing so they know to cross check for a license and if you don't get one they come knocking on your door.

Back OT:

Just finished the season and this show got better and better each week. I can't wait till it comes back. I am thinking Niska should really cut and color that hair if she does not want to get caught. I like the family so I hope they stay in the show. I would be wondering if any more new models pop up in future. Maybe even one of the creator himself, since he killed himself, maybe he put his mind in one before he did it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BBC has tons of money, no reason for them to ever cancel a good show.

I never had a clue about this before moving here and would have sworn it was a joke but...
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/pa...ages=SU5GTz1Zb3VyIFNlc3Npb24gSGFzIEV4cGlyZWQK

It is not cheap either. We had to pay 23 pounds/35 dollars a month, that's per actual TV-so we only have one, for first 6 months and now it is 12.50 pounds/19.50 dollars a month. This is 330 dollars for first year per TV in UK and 226 for every year after that. It's called a TV tax and money is for BBC.

It is mandatory, if you don't pay it and have a TV with even just an antenna they will fine you. They have TV cops and it is required by law for all stores that sell TVs to report buyers information to UK TV licensing so they know to cross check for a license and if you don't get one they come knocking on your door.

Back OT:

Just finished the season and this show got better and better each week. I can't wait till it comes back. I am thinking Niska should really cut and color that hair if she does not want to get caught. I like the family so I hope they stay in the show. I would be wondering if any more new models pop up in future. Maybe even one of the creator himself, since he killed himself, maybe he put his mind in one before he did it.

The "program" they all carry allows them to give sentience to any synth now. Niska could raise an army of them on her own now. And Beatrice is now aware of herself and she is falling in love. I think they will have to destroy Fred because of what they have done to his programming. It is such an engaging show!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Living in UK now, my love of BBC is dwindled a bit. I have only seen first ep. I liked it , but he seemed not to as much. I am hoping this would be a joint show so I am waiting for when he has time to do with for rest of eps I have. Maybe this weekend, I sense this is going to get dark, ala Ex Machina and I just hope it is better because I was very disappointed with that movie.

I watched Ex Machina last night, on the recommendation of my neighbor. Hated it. It was too dark, too empty and too "chatty". I did not like any of the characters. Then they topped it off with an Unhappy Ending. Why do writers do that? Make you sit through an entire movie rooting for the "good guy", but the bad guy (girl in this case) wins in the end. :facepalm:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
... Then they topped it off with an Unhappy Ending. ...

Is that when they start to finish you off by hand then stick a spiked object up the butt at the last second as you see a schlong drop out their panties?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Is that when they start to finish you off by hand then stick a spiked object up the butt at the last second as you see a schlong drop out their panties?

Rs31j.gif

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I watched Ex Machina last night, on the recommendation of my neighbor. Hated it. It was too dark, too empty and too "chatty". I did not like any of the characters. Then they topped it off with an Unhappy Ending. Why do writers do that? Make you sit through an entire movie rooting for the "good guy", but the bad guy (girl in this case) wins in the end. :facepalm:

Alas they think it makes the film "edgy". All it does is make the film nihilistic.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just trying to find a version that will play on VLC . The ones I have tried so far won't . I hopefully found a site and it will take 2 hrs to grab . Looking forward to watching it ...

;) ;) ;)

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Just trying to find a version that will play on VLC . The ones I have tried so far won't . I hopefully found a site and it will take 2 hrs to grab . Looking forward to watching it ...

;) ;) ;)
I know of one if you want, just PM me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

;) ;) ;)

Did you ever watch this show? Your problem with VLC...let me guess that the video format is .mkv (Matroska) in HD. VLC will play .mkv, but they play with choppy jerky playback. Tweak it like the guy tells youi in this video. Worked for me. Or, if you have the patience, convert the .mkv to .avi or .mp4 using Handbrake (the best open source video transcoder I have found for Linux). It's in the Software Center and works great. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Humans Season 2 will add Carrie Anne Moss (Trinity from the Matrix)

Featured_CarrieAnneMoss (1).jpg

http://tvline.com/2016/04/21/humans-carrie-anne-moss-season-2-amc-cast/

Jessica JonesCarrie-Anne Moss and Nashville‘s Sam Palladio have joined the acclaimed AMC series, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Moss will play the series-regular role of Dr. Athena Morrow, a pre-eminent Artificial Intelligence expert who is driven by her own motives to create a new kind of machine consciousness. Palladio, meanwhile, takes on the recurring role of Ed, a struggling café owner trying to breathe life into his family business.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Humans Season 2 will add Carrie Anne Moss (Trinity from the Matrix)

View attachment 33083

http://tvline.com/2016/04/21/humans-carrie-anne-moss-season-2-amc-cast/

Jessica JonesCarrie-Anne Moss and Nashville‘s Sam Palladio have joined the acclaimed AMC series, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Moss will play the series-regular role of Dr. Athena Morrow, a pre-eminent Artificial Intelligence expert who is driven by her own motives to create a new kind of machine consciousness. Palladio, meanwhile, takes on the recurring role of Ed, a struggling café owner trying to breathe life into his family business.

Yeah, can't have a show without someone Carrying Moss. Landscaping is an art.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

everyone seems to want on the TERMINATOR, BSG and other bandwagon of "AI evil"---

and I hope no one was surprised that the "maid" was an AI?

i thought it was just a snobbish kind of movie; besides the AI evil theme, it seemed to want to pay a sort of homage to self made billionaires in tech-like they are someone to want to aspire to be

just didn't like it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
everyone seems to want on the TERMINATOR, BSG and other bandwagon of "AI evil"---

and I hope no one was surprised that the "maid" was an AI?

i thought it was just a snobbish kind of movie; besides the AI evil theme, it seemed to want to pay a sort of homage to self made billionaires in tech-like they are someone to want to aspire to be

just didn't like it

If you are talking about Ex Machina...

It was just too damned dark and broody and WAY too chatty. The main characters sucked. The AI sucked too (and not in a good way :)). Then they topped it off with a terrible ending.

Last edited: