Hulu Commercial Free - Free Evaluation (1 week)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I have been curious about the new commercial-free version of Hulu, which was long awaited and addresses a dealbreaker issue for those who have been spoiled by the commercial free nirvana that Netflix provided. For me, Hulu was always still on my list of resources because they would have things from cable on there the next day (if I wanted to see them that bad). Commerciuals were manageable, but still nothing was going to make me pay for Hulu if it still had commercials on the pay version.

Recently, Hulu created their commercial-free version. Same next-day availability, but the service is $11.99/month as opposed to $7.99/month from Netflix. Also to me it seems like the Hulu service and those behind it would be far more likely to obfuscate things and suddenly raise prices or do other cheesy shit that is beneath the Netflix folks. After all, Netflix set out to do what it is still doing today. Hulu has arrived here as the result of being beaten down by the competition and being forced to complete best they can.

So, here it begins:

hulu free trial.PNG

If you already have an account, you need to log in and use it:

second_page_hulu_trial.PNG

I chose PayPal. After going through Paypal and logging in, I was presented with the already familiar Hulu programming page. They have cleaned up the page and it presents a logical layout

genres_hulu.PNG

Here is a snip of the Science Fiction section from the time of this post. They have Stargate on there, Childhood's End, and other interesting stuff lower down.

scifi_hulu.PNG

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see if it was easy to find the page to cancel this trial at the end of a week. I clicked my Account button, and there it is:

account_page.PNG

So, I will live with this for a week and comment along the way. If somebody is already subscribing to this, please feel free to comment! I have been taking a break from Netflix since December 2015 until there is something on there I really want to see. The selections seemed stale back then, and there has not been much change. Why not try Hulu? :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wow...that didn't take long.

I went and popped some popcorn and then clicked the Childhood's End link because I have not seen it and I figured that would be a good first watch on this trial. But no, it was not meant to be:

childhood_end_error.PNG

Oh well, and this is why people do this...

torrent.PNG

:moody:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Childhood's End, but not on Hulu...because although they display a thumbnail and poster for it and show it in their lineup, they actually don't have it. Not a good first impression. Netflix does not display what they do not have. If you search for something they don't stream, the search will tell you. You won't see things in the selections and then click them to find out they are dead. Not good for this trial for me yet. I want to see Childhood's End, so that means I will not be evaluating Hulu to do that. I'll come back to this later...:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Day Two:

I went in there and decided to try one of my go-to shows...Star Trek. They have DS9 on there. I go to the page, click the DS9 link, and the show prologue starts to roll...looks fuzzy as hell to me. I figure you can toggle an HD version? Hell nah you cant. :( :anim_59:.

In short, I am eye rolling now. This package is thrown together and is a desperate survival measure. With the poor quality of what I started to watch (I sampled other stuff too), this trial will be just that, and it will end this Friday. Why on earth would anyone pay $11.00/month for this? It is commercial free, yes. It has more current content than Netflix, yes. It has more current and past TV shows, yes. But if ALL of it comes in no-HD flavor, I just don't want it.

I could not make it through 10 minutes of DS9 Season 1, Episode 1. :tealc_new050:

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Day Three:

They really are not trying, are they? I have missed like....seasons of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, so I decided to sit back and watch that...but wait, a COMMERCIAL? Furious, I closed the browser and found this on the Hulu site:

commercial_free_lie.PNG

Hulu is owned by Fox, Disney, Comcast, blah blah blah....who do they think they are fooling? It's okay but not for $11.00/month. The CEO doesn't get it at all. :anim_59:

hulu-mike-hopkins.jpg

At $11.99, Hulu’s ad-free option would be more expensive than Netflix, which is ad-free at $7.99. But CEO Mike Hopkins tells me that it’s still less expensive than HBO Now at $14.99, and close to Showtime’s new online service at $10.99.

Mike Hopkins CEO of Hulu said:
“We did a lot of research on this,” Hopkins says. “We wouldn’t have undertaken this lightly.”

Easy to see why: Hulu is co-owned by Comcast, Disney and Fox — major owners of ad-supported cable networks. They have a lot to lose if viewers become accustomed to watching shows commercial-free, especially if they also like online alternatives enough to cut the cord with cable or satellite TV.

Hopkins says that the change “is not us exiting the ad business at all.” With new efforts to target commercials to specific viewers — for a relatively high price — “we expect ad revenue to grow dramatically.”

1232550426_worf face palm.gif

This is Scrooge trying to unlearn his greed. :) I'm almost done. :replicatoranime01:

StargateIrisAnimation.gif

It's good to know this convenient countdown timer and cancel link is just a couple of clicks away. :tealc_newanime006: Let's continue to explore....

cancel.PNG

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm really trying here folks, but even YouTube has better quality video than the best available on Hulu Plus. At $7.99, I might forgive it. Not at $11.99

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
but not on Hulu...because although they display a thumbnail and poster for it and show it in their lineup, they actually don't have it.

I hate that!!!

On ROKU, there are a whole mess of channels-mostly pay but some free, that do this!

Just a way for them to get your attn and 'traffic' I suppose

I am sure someone thinks its a good idea, but me, nope, you are just pissing me off!

The ROKU search function doesn't fall for it though :)

---------------------
I see that Hulu is also trying to be an "aggregate' type of service like Amazon

that is, on Amz, they have access to other channels-like say DRAMA FEVER, for a separate price

convenient for the lazy, but you actually pay more for it that way

----------------
finally

are we starting to see the "fckin up" of streaming by this greed?

I mean, NETFLIX was once beautiful

in its content and just the "poetry" of it ( i know :smiley-015:right? couldn't think of a better descriptor!)

now, it is difficult just to find stuff in the categories.

say by genre--its still there,but the NF screen is so filled with every other type of suggestion or "because you watched" or "similar to what you watched(no, they get that wrong more then before!)" or "popular this week", "popular on FB"

just let me search by sci fi, drama, history,documentary,etc

they have cluttered the NF 'home' page so much it seems they have forgotten one imp category- "NETFLIX originals"! you have to find the shows within other genres or the social media inspired "suggestions"

ex- SENSE8 is in sci fi/fantasy

just have a sep "originals" category!

too much over-think, not enough customer oriented common sense

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm really trying here folks, but even YouTube has better quality video than the best available on Hulu Plus. At $7.99, I might forgive it. Not at $11.99

Something is up with the connectivity between you and Hulu's CDN because streaming Hulu on my smart TV is nothing short of crystal clear.

To be honest, the short commercial at the beginning of some shows (which I have not yet encountered) doesn't bug me as much so long as my show isn't interrupted. And the commercial at the end? They know nobody sits through that. Just click out to the menu for the next show as soon as the show is over. :icon_lol:.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Something is up with the connectivity between you and Hulu's CDN because streaming Hulu on my smart TV is nothing but crystal clear.

To be honest, the short commercial at the beginning of some shows (which I have not yet encountered) doesn't bug me as much so long as my show isn't interrupted. And the commercial at the end? They know nobody sits through that. Just click out to the menu for the next show as soon as the show is over. :icon_lol:.

In all fairness, I found that there is a setting in many (most) of the movies and a few of the series that did show an HD option. I should have edited my comment or added it. YES, there is a lot of HD. :) Still, I am not feeling it at $11.00 a month and those two commercials still bug me. :biggrin:. Tell me this...if you saw somebody sitting on a couch and they cut a HUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE loud fart into the cushion that you could hear 10 feet away, and that person got up as you approached and the space left was the only place to sit....would you sit there? :stung: I am bothered that they are even there at all. It means I am paying for them still....:redface:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
In all fairness, I found that there is a setting in many (most) of the movies and a few of the series that did show an HD option. I should have edited my comment or added it. YES, there is a lot of HD. :) Still, I am not feeling it at $11.00 a month and those two commercials still bug me. :biggrin:. Tell me this...if you saw somebody sitting on a couch and they cut a HUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE loud fart into the cushion that you could hear 10 feet away, and that person got up as you approached and the space left was the only place to sit....would you sit there? :stung: I am bothered that they are even there at all. It means I am paying for them still....:redface:

I only have Hulu for the shows my wife and I watch and I have quite a few. So far, I've been lucky, I guess, because I haven't seen ANY commercials on any of them. :)

But, if I happen to hit ONE show or movie where it gives me a commercial at the beginning before the stream starts, it doesn't bug me as much. What I HATE is having my show interrupted with incessant commercials.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I only have Hulu for the shows my wife and I watch and I have quite a few. So far, I've been lucky, I guess, because I haven't seen ANY commercials on any of them. :)

But, if I happen to hit ONE show or movie where it gives me a commercial at the beginning before the stream starts, it doesn't bug me as much. What I HATE is having my show interrupted with incessant commercials.

It's really a very okay service. If I was into more TV shows, I would definitely get into this. Right now, however, Im going to back out of this deal.

EDIT:

hulu_cancel.PNG

FINAL:

This service is actually a very good alternative to Netflix in many ways. If the reason you like Netflix is because of the content, then Hulu will not disappoint. They have lots of great movies, TV shows, documentaries and access to higher end add-ons (no add-ons are available with Netflix). There is HD on much of the content, and it looks and works great on mobiles and tablets and over a 4G LTE connection.

Pros:

• More watchable content than Netflix overall.
  • More current content for TV and movies. HD available on lots of content.
  • Easier to navigate than Netflix.
  • Add-ons like Showtime and a way to add more as they are made available.
  • Works in any browser (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, IE)

Cons:

• $11.00/month too high for what you get. Commercial Free is not really commercial free.
  • Feels like a cable company trying to learn a new trick.
  • Deceptive marketing designed to bait subscribers, but there are slight exaggerations.
  • Content showing on the searches may not actually be available.
I was not wowed enough by Hulu Commercial free to stick with it. Maybe another time....

Last edited: