Hubby's New Project

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Snookie bought herself a new laptop last fall (HP Envy) and offered her small netbook to Mr. Rac. My sweetheart decided he would rebuild it (software wise). He has to work with Windows 10 and hates it with a passion. Thus far he has wiped it (using my d-ban disc) and loaded Windows 8.1 on it. (Gotten from a friend ) And is working on getting it useable. He now hates Windows 8.1, isn't sure if it is worse than 10. So he spends a lot of time cruising tech forums looking for fixes for various issues!

He's determined to do it himself despite the MANY issues with 8.1.
There have been some suceses but he named the computer M5!

So any tips or suggestions of tech sites?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
No suggestions for sites, but tell him to go for Windows 7 instead. If not that, go back to Windows 10 or try a Linux distro.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I had a customer yesterday who was still using Windows 98.

OMFG!!! :facepalm:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
He's thought about going back to 7 but wonders how long before no updates will be available?

I have several computers- one uses Vista :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Snookie bought herself a new laptop last fall (HP Envy) and offered her small netbook to Mr. Rac. My sweetheart decided he would rebuild it (software wise). He has to work with Windows 10 and hates it with a passion. Thus far he has wiped it (using my d-ban disc) and loaded Windows 8.1 on it. (Gotten from a friend ) And is working on getting it useable. He now hates Windows 8.1, isn't sure if it is worse than 10. So he spends a lot of time cruising tech forums looking for fixes for various issues!

Of course. This is my profession. :icon_lol:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
He's thought about going back to 7 but wonders how long before no updates will be available?

I have several computers- one uses Vista :P

Last I heard Windows 7 would be supported (by Microsoft) up until 2020 and I fully intend to keep using it until at least that time, unless they present a better alternative. I don't know if that means they will stop supporting it on 01/01/2020 or 31/12/2020 or somewhere in between, but at least it's got a couple of years. After that you can still use it but Microsoft simply won't provide any (security) updates.

The hardware in the computer could be a different matter. Hardware developers may stop producing drivers for their products for Windows 7 at some point. That is not really an issue though if you keep using current hardware. I expect that hardware manufacturers will keep providing Windows 7 drivers for far longer than Microsoft will keep supporting the operating system. The reasons I think that are because it is far easier to create a driver than it is to maintain an operating system. The manufacturers will want to ensure that their products can be used by as many people as possible. And Windows 7 is in my opinion still the best mainstream operating system out there. Many people will probably keep using it even after Microsoft has stopped support. I don't think anyone would have much trouble getting Windows 7 drivers for their hardware for at least the next ten years. Then again, I could be way off, but that doesn't happen very often. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last I heard Windows 7 would be supported (by Microsoft) up until 2020 and I fully intend to keep using it until at least that time, unless they present a better alternative. I don't know if that means they will stop supporting it on 01/01/2020 or 31/12/2020 or somewhere in between, but at least it's got a couple of years. After that you can still use it but Microsoft simply won't provide any (security) updates.

The hardware in the computer could be a different matter. Hardware developers may stop producing drivers for their products for Windows 7 at some point. That is not really an issue though if you keep using current hardware. I expect that hardware manufacturers will keep providing Windows 7 drivers for far longer than Microsoft will keep supporting the operating system. The reasons I think that are because it is far easier to create a driver than it is to maintain an operating system. The manufacturers will want to ensure that their products can be used by as many people as possible. And Windows 7 is in my opinion still the best mainstream operating system out there. Many people will probably keep using it even after Microsoft has stopped support. I don't think anyone would have much trouble getting Windows 7 drivers for their hardware for at least the next ten years. Then again, I could be way off, but that doesn't happen very often. :P

I always chuckle at those announcements that Microsoft will "no longer support" something :eek-new: :anim_59:. Can anyone here remember any time when they needed support from Microsoft? The drivers and other stuff that the updates were doing is not at all needed to run Windows 7. Even if they stop supporting it, so what? It will run forever if you maintain it yourself. I have a VM of Windows 98 (for Duke Nukem)! No updates or support needed.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I always chuckle at those announcements that Microsoft will "no longer support" something :eek-new: :anim_59:. Can anyone here remember any time when they needed support from Microsoft? The drivers and other stuff that the updates were doing is not at all needed to run Windows 7. Even if they stop supporting it, so what? It will run forever if you maintain it yourself. I have a VM of Windows 98 (for Duke Nukem)! No updates or support needed.

The only concern really regarding Microsoft ending support is that there won't be any patches for new security vulnerabilities. But even then, how big is the risk really. If you can keep the computer completely offline it would be completely safe. Otherwise don't do any sensitive stuff with it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If the computer is not connected it cannot be remotely hacked. Your main concern is drivers if and when you connect peripherals not supported under the drivers in place back when - so no 4K displays et al :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The only concern really regarding Microsoft ending support is that there won't be any patches for new security vulnerabilities. But even then, how big is the risk really. If you can keep the computer completely offline it would be completely safe. Otherwise don't do any sensitive stuff with it.
EXACTLY. Malwarebytes on W7 is like having a bouncer protecting you.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If the computer is not connected it cannot be remotely hacked. Your main concern is drivers if and when you connect peripherals not supported under the drivers in place back when - so no 4K displays et al :)

Seriously speaking, he would be best using Windows 7 Professional SP2 64-bit. It is the best of the most mature architecture produced by Microsoft, het has a much larger driver cabinet than Vista, which means most things will run plug and play. It is easy to secure, has an extensive (optional) internal logging and auditing system which came from Server 2003. It is a stable, mature, well-developed product. Probably their best to date.

Wipe the drive completely (no need to zero it out), then use bootable Windows 7 media (preferably a USB stick or external hard drive). Once loaded, get all the updates available before installing software. Be aware that Windows 7 drivers might need to be loaded for the network from HP to get the network working first. Once connected, Windows will fetch the rest. Then, install HP Assistant, and it will fetch the HP drivers for the computer.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
you guys are the bomb! thanks! will pass this along to the hubby! :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Seriously speaking, he would be best using Windows 7 Professional SP2 64-bit. It is the best of the most mature architecture produced by Microsoft, het has a much larger driver cabinet than Vista, which means most things will run plug and play. It is easy to secure, has an extensive (optional) internal logging and auditing system which came from Server 2003. It is a stable, mature, well-developed product. Probably their best to date.

Wipe the drive completely (no need to zero it out), then use bootable Windows 7 media (preferably a USB stick or external hard drive). Once loaded, get all the updates available before installing software. Be aware that Windows 7 drivers might need to be loaded for the network from HP to get the network working first. Once connected, Windows will fetch the rest. Then, install HP Assistant, and it will fetch the HP drivers for the computer.

any suggestions on where to get bootable windows 7? Do I buy it off eBay? or?????

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
any suggestions on where to get bootable windows 7? Do I buy it off eBay? or?????

Now that part could be trickier.
There's a lot of phony ones for sale for cheap.
I don't think it's possible to buy it directly from Microsoft anymore, or they are making it very hard to find.

Let me rephrase. You can download an iso from Microsoft, but the key is another thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Um....biting my tongue here!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
whisper it... :P