How many old scifi shows can you name?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Hubby and I were chatting about old favorite scifi shows and there were some his family watched but mine didn't and vice versa. I remember with fondness Time Tunnel, Invaders, Journey to the bottom of the Sea, Planet of the Apes, Star trek original series of course, Twilight Zone, the Outer limits. Just to name a few. What are your old faves - pre 1980 say?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Space: 1999
UFO
Space Precinct
Doctor Who (of course)
Blake's 7

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
good list joelist! Hubby reminded me of Starlost and Lost in space as well

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
good list joelist! Hubby reminded me of Starlost and Lost in space as well

Starlost
Time Tunnel
Land of the Giants
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (yes it counts :))
Logan's Run
Doctor Who
Star Trek
Battlestar Galactica
V
Invaders
Space 1999
UFO

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I can't believe I forgot the original Battlestar Galactica!

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I'll throw in a couple of old Canadian shows:

Andromeda from the 2000s, then there was the original from the seventies. Or at least my imagination tells me so.
Earth:Final Conflict,
Total Recall:2070

There has to be two to 3 shows that take place on other planets, but I can't think of them.

The 4400! That could be considered Sci-Fi?

O-o-o-ps. I guess all of these shows take place after the 80s.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'll throw in a couple of old Canadian shows:

Andromeda from the 2000s, then there was the original from the seventies. Or at least my imagination tells me so.
Earth:Final Conflict,
Total Recall:2070

There has to be two to 3 shows that take place on other planets, but I can't think of them.

The 4400! That could be considered Sci-Fi?

O-o-o-ps. I guess all of these shows take place after the 80s.

The 2000s had the most memorable scifi shows IMO! We had Star Trek, but we also had Babylon 5, Stargate, and so many others to watch. :) Many of them I still watch regularly as rewatches.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Pre 1980 does lock out a lot of stuff.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
The 2000s had the most memorable scifi shows IMO! We had Star Trek, but we also had Babylon 5, Stargate, and so many others to watch. :) Many of them I still watch regularly as rewatches.

If it wasn't for the Tuesday and Saturday Night MOW I would say that the dearth or death of Sci-Fi on TV was real. For some reason the movie "Questor Tapes" comes to mind.

Like everyone thinks there was a renaissance of Sci-Fi starting around 1995 when the X-Files and Babylon 5 were in their hay-day. Then came Buffy and Angel, then fantasy/ Sci-Fi really exploded with the arrival of SG-1. There was a whole sub-genre of 1/2 year wonders like "Dark Angel", and not forgetting the "Dead Zone" series.

I did mention B5, but it needs a line of its own. Not a Star Trek series, but I am quite sure the show influenced Deep Space 9.

Come 2003 my favourite show of all time dropped by for two years - Dead Like Me.

I was hoping that SGU was a re-make of Starlost, but that was not meant to be.

BSG has already been mentioned so I will mention the fantasy show "LOST". After those shows disappeared it seemed like we entered an oasis again, that is until "Orphan Black" appeared.

Sci-Fi seemed to appear to be back in fashion. With the arrival of "Killjoys", "Dark Matter" and "The Expanse" we might have something wild and wooly to watch for a few years more.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I loved the Questor Tapes movie. It was a TV series pilot which was inexplicably not picked up (just like Genesis II).

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I loved the Questor Tapes movie. It was a TV series pilot which was inexplicably not picked up (just like Genesis II).

" ... In 2133 A.D., after a great war that destroyed civilization, a group of peace-loving scientists known as PAX excavate a former NASA research center and find Dylan Hunt, who has been in suspended animation for over 150 years. Dylan recovers quickly and joins a PAX team trying to rebuild society in the post-apocalyptic world, making use of leftover maglev subway tunnels that only they know how to access ..."

OK, so Genesis was the original name for "Andromeda". They even had a "Harper" as a character. I remember the John Saxon vehicle more than this one.

I guess "Genesis" -s-s's loss was "The Planet of the Apes" gain.

The good old days on ABC. The "Questor Tapes" must of been important back then for my brain to easily spit it out.

Seek and you shall find. A little bit of Genesis II might explain what we were talking about.

The Questor Tapes in German: very interesting.

It appears that there are several dozen old MOW mounted on Youtube.​

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
" ... In 2133 A.D., after a great war that destroyed civilization, a group of peace-loving scientists known as PAX excavate a former NASA research center and find Dylan Hunt, who has been in suspended animation for over 150 years. Dylan recovers quickly and joins a PAX team trying to rebuild society in the post-apocalyptic world, making use of leftover maglev subway tunnels that only they know how to access ..."

OK, so Genesis was the original name for "Andromeda". They even had a "Harper" as a character. I remember the John Saxon vehicle more than this one.

I guess "Genesis" -s-s's loss was "The Planet of the Apes" gain.

The good old days on ABC. The "Questor Tapes" must of been important back then for my brain to easily spit it out.

Seek and you shall find. A little bit of Genesis II might explain what we were talking about.

The Questor Tapes in German: very interesting.

It appears that there are several dozen old MOW mounted on Youtube.​

That whole post apocalyptic premise of the 20th century man waking up in the future was Roddenberry's next Trek-like project, and they tried to do it twice. Once with Genesis II and again with Planet Earth. Both had PAX which was supposed to be the good guys who had made sure the best of Humanity was spared, both had Dylan Hunt as the protagonist, and both had a Harper character. But none of the two of the pilots nailed the premise, and neither was made into a series. Of the two, for me Genesis II was the best, with the Subshuttle being a way to travel to other parts of the new Earth and explore possibilities. Interesting!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I actually think there were three attempts. Genesis II was the first one, Planet Earth the second and Strange New World the third. Unfortunately CBS picked up Planet of the Apes for a TV series which was a one season ratings disaster.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
how about movies?

i remember two that are the most memorable to me (i have more but these 2 stick out for some reason)

JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN --I think it was also known as simply DOPPELGANGER but I may be confusing that with another film of similar plot--mission from earth to a 'planet x' type planet on the far side of the sun (is there a far side of the sun? don't think so), they find it inhabited by humans or human like ppl. next they are back on earth or are they? this is where the doppelganger issues comes in

and

COLOSSUS- THE CORBIN PROJECT-Where the US builds a 'skynet' type computer that becomes aware of a similar Soviet one, the 2 have computer sex and plot to take over the world--or something like that

i think they may be on YT in their complete runtime

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sadly they got pulled from YouTube. But both are cool films.

Colossus The Forbin Project has the two supercomputers (which have become self aware) merge into a world controlling megamind. There is actually a series of novels about how the world falls under the control of Colossus and how eventually they are able to defeat it after decades under its rule.

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun is one of those outstanding pieces of British Sci-Fi. It is from Gerry Anderson who gave us Space:1999 and has a rather esoteric scenario of two Earths orbiting on opposite sides of the Sun that are completely mirror imaged worlds.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Colossus The Forbin Project

ok- the "Forbin" project :)

was Journey to the Far Side of the sun the movie I am remembering also known as DOPPELGANGER?
the thing about the opening scenes where we had the one agent guy with a fake eye that was a spy camera--always will remember that

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
YAY!