How come we get our "future vision" so wrong most of the time?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just happen to be doing a Back To The Future rewatch, and I noticed that the beginning of Back To The Future II sets the timeframe as 2015. :) Really?

Selection_009.png

Then, I thought about the other movies that got it so wrong:

2001: A Space Odyssey

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ummm...................
The thing that is missing from most scifi these days.
HOPE.

I love a good dystopian flick, Logan's Run, Blade runner, Hardwired etc, but for a series, I far more enjoy "hope"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ummm...................
The thing that is missing from most scifi these days.
HOPE.

I love a good dystopian flick, Logan's Run, Blade runner, Hardwired etc, but for a series, I far more enjoy "hope"

I like all of those. But somehow Logan's Run managed to escape the dating because they did not specify the time they were in. Other movies such as the latest The Time Machine put the future over 800,000 years. That means that 20 years from now it wont be dated and part of a list like this. Pretty soon, we are going to be hard up against the given date of First Contact in the Trek universe: April of 2063.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well.............
The amount of stuff left standing when Logan gets out dates it "after a fall" gives it a timeframe, but not a date code, sure.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well.............
The amount of stuff left standing when Logan gets out dates it "after a fall" gives it a timeframe, but not a date code, sure.

I wish they had done a prequel to Logan's Run. But now, if they go there at all they have to remake the original, then do a prequel.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
NO!!!!
No they do not have to make a re-boot of Logan's Run.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
NO!!!!
No they do not have to make a re-boot of Logan's Run.

They kinda do. :) Not enough diversity, not enough development of the Computer entity in the city or the organization of the Sandmen or the age-population groups. They dont have to do much backstory in a reboot, but those are the basics. The way women (and men) are portrayed in the original needs a modern update.

Out of curiousity, why are you against a reboot of it? :) A modern update could spawn three different movies: 1) Logan's Run 2) The Domed Cities (a prequel), and 3) After Logan's Run.

Related to this topic...

You cant really successfully redo any of the dated movies which have the dates in their title. Like 1984 and 2001 and 2010. And in the movies themselves, like this date I spotted in Back To The Future II, why would the writers even go there? They could have just said "in the future some time" or even "20 years later" without giving the start year. Star Trek originally got away with not using specific dates until fans started plotting timelines. Anyway, it is sorta like the myriad doomsday dates that come and go.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Why am I against it??

Because the movie stands on it's own artistic merits.
I don't want the shithouse directors of this era making a freaking parody of it like ST:2009

Logan may as well run out of he city, pursued by his erstwhile sandman companion and yell to an uncaring (yet artisticly good) sky............
WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why am I against it??

Because the movie stands on it's own artistic merits.
I don't want the shithouse directors of this era making a freaking parody of it like ST:2009

Logan may as well run out of he city, pursued by his erstwhile sandman companion and yell to an uncaring (yet artisticly good) sky............
WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Legitimate concerns, to be sure. I think the very first thing any of these hipster "blockbuster makers" would do is to make the runners a GROUP of young people instead of just Logan and Jessica, thereby ruining it. They would replace the boy meets girl and gets married thing with something more PC and generic, to appease the LGBT crowd. The group would of course be diverse.

*sigh*

On second thought, maybe a reboot is not such a good idea? :sulkiness:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
They could make the reason Logan got "blacked" is because he was a homosexual, it wouldn't harm the overall story in the slightest, he would have still been acting against the wishes of society.

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon
Legitimate concerns, to be sure. I think the very first thing any of these hipster "blockbuster makers" would do is to make the runners a GROUP of young people instead of just Logan and Jessica, thereby ruining it. They would replace the boy meets girl and gets married thing with something more PC and generic, to appease the LGBT crowd. The group would of course be diverse.

*sigh*

The "group" thing has been seen before. Remember Knight Rider, from the eighties?
"Michael Knight, a lone crusader in a dangerous world, the world...of the Knight Rider."
And the repeated theme throughout the series.. "One man can make a difference".

When they remade that in 2008, it was no longer Michael out on the road alone, it was a group, in constant contact with him. And the group certainly did provide diversity. Changed the character of the show completely. It just wasn't the same.

Oh, and K.I.T.T is not a freakin' FORD. Ungh. one of the few times that product placement advertising has really pissed me off.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I like all of those. But somehow Logan's Run managed to escape the dating because they did not specify the time they were in. Other movies such as the latest The Time Machine put the future over 800,000 years. That means that 20 years from now it wont be dated and part of a list like this. Pretty soon, we are going to be hard up against the given date of First Contact in the Trek universe: April of 2063.

I suspect we'll have the exact same criticisms in 800,000 years from now when they look back at The Time Machine and realize that, even with that much of a fantastic jump to the future, we still completely miss the boat.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

*sigh*

I think the word "reboot" needs to be completely divorced from Hollywood and anyone even thinking to "reboot" or "reimagine" someone else's work needs to be shot in the ass with a large enough caliber weapon that it will serve as a life-long reminder not to f'k with stuff that's done and gone.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Why did we get it so wrong? I think it's because we didn't realize man likes to move slowly...we moved very fast in the 20th century going from the first airplane to man on the moon in 60+ years- society then took a deep breath and started whining and bitching and moaning and we're still in that stage! :P

I have said before, that as a child who watched the moon landing, I expected man to have colonized the moon and begun our movement to other planets (and moons) in our solar system by 2000! In 1968, 2001 seemed plausable. But by 1984 (2010) it was more science-fictiony. Hell, in 1984 we didn't realize the USSR had only 8 years left! and it ended with a whimper not a bang. :D

As time has passed we find many of the predictions of the past are hilariously off-- in TOS trek there was the story of the Eugenics wars in the 1980's & 90's on earth! uh huh riiiiiiiiiight! although I found a trek author who did a good job incorporating that storyline into reality....Greg Cox; the Eugenics wars vols 1 & 2 :)

It seems we either have a dystopian view of the future or a utopian view. it's neither it's just reality!

as for 1984-- Orwell was jost off by 30 years- maybe he scared society enough that we protected ourselves. But now - privacy is mostly dead.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
We all know I'm pissed that we don't have flying cars yet. Clearly the Jetsons lied to us; damn Spacely Sprockets! Don't get me wrong, I can deal with the car issue -- for now -- but I'm most upset at the fact that our scientists have yet to perfect a lifelike sex bot, preferably a Chris Pine model. :moody:

roflbot (3).jpg

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon
Why did we get it so wrong? I think it's because we didn't realize man likes to move slowly...we moved very fast in the 20th century going from the first airplane to man on the moon in 60+ years- society then took a deep breath and started whining and bitching and moaning and we're still in that stage! :P

I have said before, that as a child who watched the moon landing, I expected man to have colonized the moon and begun our movement to other planets (and moons) in our solar system by 2000! In 1968, 2001 seemed plausable. But by 1984 (2010) it was more science-fictiony. Hell, in 1984 we didn't realize the USSR had only 8 years left! and it ended with a whimper not a bang. :D

As time has passed we find many of the predictions of the past are hilariously off-- in TOS trek there was the story of the Eugenics wars in the 1980's & 90's on earth! uh huh riiiiiiiiiight! although I found a trek aurthor who did a good job incorporating that storyline into reality....Greg Cox; the Eugenics wars vols 1 & 2 :)

It seems we either have a dystopian view of the future or a utopian view. it's neither it's just reality!

as for 1984-- Orwell was jost off by 30 years- maybe he scared society enough that we protected ourselves. But now - privacy is mostly dead.
You have to look at the bigger picture. Technology developed at a very rapid pace for the first half of the twentieth century, mainly 'cause of wars. 2 world wars in the space of 30 years, and then the Korean war. There is nothing like a good war to stimulate development as well as economic activity.
The effects of those wars carried on past their end. The space race was fueled by the cold war in the 60's.

The economic activity created by that warfare created the most prosperous society ever seen in the US in the 50's and 60's. This resulted in the baby boom generation, which was spoiled rotten, never having seen hardship. They didn't recognize the value of a dollar or the value of the labor involved in earning one. This created an attitude where they believe that they could give everything away without cost.

At the end of the 60's, once the space race had been won, many of them started urging our leaders to start handing money out to freeloaders, rather than investing in further technological development. Maybe it was out of a sense of guilt over how well they lived, or something else, I don't know. But under the banner of domestic priorities and other such terms, we started handing money out like it grew on trees. And as far as many of the boomers knew, due to their affluent early years, it did grow on trees.

So, the conflicts of the 1st 60 years of the century ended up shaping tech. development for those 60 years and far beyond.

As far as 1984 goes, the fact that we've arrived at that society and worse is just stupidity on our part. Anyone with the brains God promised a doorknob ought to know that you can't trust government, or people that want to govern others. Seems we forgot about that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I suspect we'll have the exact same criticisms in 800,000 years from now when they look back at The Time Machine and realize that, even with that much of a fantastic jump to the future, we still completely miss the boat.

The talking apes of that time will wonder how we didnt see it coming. :happy0007:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Future vision is always a problem, and to me the biggest issue is we tend to approach it like we really can extrapolate the future from the past and the present with great accuracy. The problem with it is that human beings do not behave with precise predictability, and each time either large enough group or an individual with sufficient influence does not behave as projected that future vision gets blurred.

I LOVE the original Foundation series (the first three books, after that Asimov took a journey into the weirdland of Gaia-ism). But his concept of psychohistory did have this exact weakness that (to his credit) he himself built into the plot of the book Second Foundation.