Here we go again...Hulu thinking of becoming an "online cable company".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-thea...nto-an-online-cable-operator/4675?tag=nl.e539

Excerpt:

With TV networks increasing unhappy with giving Hulu new episodes of their programming right away, the company is mulling this drastic move. Its paid offering, Hulu Plus, was launched last year at $9.99 per month for access to Hulu’s deep TV library, but it’s already cut the price to $7.95 per month. (One exec wanted to drop the price to $4.95 per month, but was voted down.)
Whist I think the idea of a paid, online "cable company" is great, one thing and one thing alone will make it worth it or not worth it: COMMERCIALS. Advertisers and providers are not getting it. Consumers DONT WANT ADVERTISING. They will pay a premium just to have advertising eliminated, and when there is a free service with advertising offered with a paid version without advertising, most (who can afford it) will gladly pay for the commercial free versions. I know that the existing model has been one of:

Media Producer + Media Provider = Product, and Popular Product = Valuable Advertising Market. The bottom line always comes down to money, and that always seems to be related to advertising dollars more than anything else. Movies are a bit different, since they depend on live audiences and the advertising dollars are less necessary. But many movies are now accepting product placement deals just to collect advertising dollars.

I have already stopped watching many videos on Hulu because of ads that precede them. Same with all the online streaming news broadcasts and other similar online media with advertising. I would rather pay for no advertising, or download what I want and watch commercial free. I havent seen a commercial in my viewing experience (voluntarily) in years. Im used to it now. If Hulu goes this route, it will die.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
For me, it depends on the price - if I can watch for free, I don't really mind the short commercials on Hulu all that much, although the 5-min commercials on the CW are quite annoying. If I had more disposable income, I'd probably pay just to avoid the commercials. But right now I watch so much TV that I can't afford to pay 2 bucks a pop for every episode of every show I watch - that would add up really fast.

That said, if I pay for something, I expect NO commercials. The fact Hulu Plus charges you AND has commercials, is just ridiculous. That's why I refuse to sign up for Hulu Plus. I know many Cable TV channels have commercials, but in my perfect world every channel would be like HBO - no commercials!

Really though, the fact Netflix is making so much money to me is proof that consumers don't want commercials. The standard model needs to shift - which I guess is hard for many network execs to wrap their minds around, since TV has been a vehicle for advertising since its inception. But in the end, I think it could be even MORE lucrative for networks if they just let consumers pay for commercial-free subscriptions - I'd pay a lot for that and so would many other viewers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I feel that way too.

For me, it depends on the price - if I can watch for free, I don't really mind the short commercials on Hulu all that much, although the 5-min commercials on the CW are quite annoying. If I had more disposable income, I'd probably pay just to avoid the commercials. But right now I watch so much TV that I can't afford to pay 2 bucks a pop for every episode of every show I watch - that would add up really fast.

When I cancelled my cable and fired Syfy, that saved me $69.00 a month. The only reason I had it was to get Syfy and Discovery, and anything I watched on either channel got Tivo'd and then I would remove the commercials after dumping them to my computer and editing them out. Then I discovered an online entity which offers all the shows I watch within 30 minutes of airing, already pre-edited and commercial free (for download). I have disposable income, but right now its still easy to get what I want without having to subscribe to anything. If, however, thay source is eliminated, I am still unwilling to pay for any service which also adds advertising against my will.

That said, if I pay for something, I expect NO commercials. The fact Hulu Plus charges you AND has commercials, is just ridiculous. That's why I refuse to sign up for Hulu Plus. I know many Cable TV channels have commercials, but in my perfect world every channel would be like HBO - no commercials!

EXACTLY. In the beginning, the cable companies' biggest selling draw was the fact that cable was commercial-free AND uncensored (believe it or not! :)). Only 3 years after introduction, cable companies started showing commercials. Now, its no different than broadcast TV used to be...full of commercials which are inserted every 5 minutes or so. :facepalm: HBO is great for not having commercials, but they are a premium channel and you cant JUST buy HBO in California. You have to buy it as part of a "basic" package which includes all the other garbage channels which DO have commercials. I hate commercials so much I would rather do without.

Really though, the fact Netflix is making so much money to me is proof that consumers don't want commercials. The standard model needs to shift - which I guess is hard for many network execs to wrap their minds around, since TV has been a vehicle for advertising since its inception. But in the end, I think it could be even MORE lucrative for networks if they just let consumers pay for commercial-free subscriptions - I'd pay a lot for that and so would many other viewers.

I would!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Can someone tell me the costs in the US for basic cable and add ons and HBO please, it's hard to comment when we are working with different numbers.:icon_e_confused:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hmm...

I wouldn't be so sure that this is for "most" the case. I would rather watch something for free, which is interrupted by commercials, than pay for seeing it without commercials. I guess I don't hate commercials as much as you. Sure they are annoying, but I simply switch the channel when they are on or do something different for a few minutes. I rather save my money for something different than to avoid commercials.

Save your money to BUY the products that the commercials are trying to get you to buy perhaps? :rononwhistle:

Commercials are insidious...they are written with psychological elements and subliminal queues which only need a few seconds to register in your brain. I am referring mostly to retail products and commercial services. Commercials for other shows and for public services do not contain these elements as much.

Recommended reading:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Psychological-Tricks-in-Selling&id=1775
http://www.referatele.com/referate/engleza/online10/Advertising-referatele-com.php
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...wants-to-change-the-way-we-think-2174655.html

A video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XtvHNfomZL8

The thing is, advertising is no joke. Its not just an "annoyance". Its an ASSAULT on your brain, and showing them and getting them watched is worth MILLIONS to advertisers. Teams of psychologists and analysts are hired to formulate just the right mix of psychology and visual manipulation to get viewers to remember their products when they go to stores. I take it very seriously.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It brings the total tom about $175.00/mo

Is 200 channels considered "good"?
How many channels can you get?
How much is HBO to add on?
What other packages are there?

Remember dude, Cable and Net access are disgustingly overpriced in Oz for what you get, so my definition of "what is good" is way out of whack with what is good in the US.
Need more info (doesn't have to be exact, just "best guess")

http://www.buytimewarnercable.com/offers.aspx

$174/mo to pay for shows I wont watch? No thanks.

Red Mage

Boney
Is 200 channels considered "good"?
How many channels can you get?
How much is HBO to add on?
What other packages are there?

Remember dude, Cable and Net access are disgustingly overpriced in Oz for what you get, so my definition of "what is good" is way out of whack with what is good in the US.
Need more info (doesn't have to be exact, just "best guess")

1: You don't really get 200 channels. The basic package is about 50-75 channels with many channels duplicated 2-3 times with the west coast, east coast and sometimes mountain timezone versions. It's incredibly lame. Now they advertise stuff like 1000+ channels because they count the HD versions of these duplications as serparate channels as well. It's ridiculous when you get six version of the same channel all with the same exact programming just airing at different times for the various timezones

2: Premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz etc. are usually about $12-15/mo. each. There's usually a premium package that will let you get all of them at discount but unless you want to tripl

3: There's lots of packages. There's extreme basic cable which is basically just the major broadcast networks (Fox, CBS,ABC, NBC etc) plus a handful of local channels usually for $19.95/ mo. There's "basic" cable which is the standard package of 50-75 channels plus duplications for $49.95. There's usually a "plus" option to add more non premium channels that are usually sister channels to the basic cables. (Chiller, Planet Green and various History sister channels) usually for another $15-20. Anything above extreme basic cable requires those stupid boxes now which is another $15 flat fee on top of the cost of the package plus $5 for each additional box. For "plus" cable plus 2 premium channels: $70 for the cable + $14 x 2 ($28) for the premium channels + $15 for the box = $113/ mo.