has anyone experienced this problem-or similar?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So I use avast free version

been working great

today i get a message from avast program that said it had quarantined a virus and asked me wha to do with it. i said to remove it

then avast told me it had an updt available and i needed to reboot

i did that

when my PC came back on none of my usb drivers were working--only the one that the mouse is hooked into

( i am now on my pc in the basement that my son uses for gaming)

i asked the guy who built this gaming pc for me about it and he said that there may have been some kind of virus that avast didn't catch that damaged the drivers

he told me to go in and remove the drivers then re-install them

my machine is windows 8 and the directions he gave me seem to be for W7 or earlier (diff look to the control panel,etc) and i dont have a keyboard so i cant type any commands,etc--just click

has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?specifically with your usb drivers becoming inop?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Can't you simply go back to a backup date and start over from there? That should reset everything back to how it was working say last week or even last month. :daniel_new004:

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
So I use avast free version

been working great

today i get a message from avast program that said it had quarantined a virus and asked me wha to do with it. i said to remove it

then avast told me it had an updt available and i needed to reboot

i did that

when my PC came back on none of my usb drivers were working--only the one that the mouse is hooked into

( i am now on my pc in the basement that my son uses for gaming)

i asked the guy who built this gaming pc for me about it and he said that there may have been some kind of virus that avast didn't catch that damaged the drivers

he told me to go in and remove the drivers then re-install them

my machine is windows 8 and the directions he gave me seem to be for W7 or earlier (diff look to the control panel,etc) and i dont have a keyboard so i cant type any commands,etc--just click

has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?specifically with your usb drivers becoming inop?

For some clarification when you say Win 8 do you mean the 8.1 version? Come the morning the experts might say that the innards of Win 8.1 actually act like Windows 7. Some of the USB drivers are hidden in Your PC - System Properties - Device Manager - and USB drivers down at the bottom.

Sometimes I would leave a USB still plugged in and when I turned the computer back on it would not go past start-up. There is a spot in the mother board's bios where you can stop all USBs from being turned on, but like you say the USB connected to your mouse still works so that can't be the case.

OK, Lets go a different route. To get to the System Restore you have to go through - Your Computer( This PC) - System Properties and then click on Advanced System Settings, which lead you to System Protection and System Restore.

That you might want to do tomorrow, as there might be an easier way to get there.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Can't you simply go back to a backup date and start over from there? That should reset everything back to how it was working say last week or even last month. :daniel_new004:
For some clarification when you say Win 8 do you mean the 8.1 version? Come the morning the experts might say that the innards of Win 8.1 actually act like Windows 7. Some of the USB drivers are hidden in Your PC - System Properties - Device Manager - and USB drivers down at the bottom.

Sometimes I would leave a USB still plugged in and when I turned the computer back on it would not go past start-up. There is a spot in the mother board's bios where you can stop all USBs from being turned on, but like you say the USB connected to your mouse still works so that can't be the case.

OK, Lets go a different route. To get to the System Restore you have to go through - Your Computer( This PC) - System Properties and then click on Advanced System Settings, which lead you to System Protection and System Restore.

That you might want to do tomorrow, as there might be an easier way to get there.

i give it a try...thx

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so i used sys rest and it worked

dont know why i didn't think of that

think because i was thinking of usb drivers has more of a type of hardware thing-only used sys rest in the past to get around things 'soft'

i would still like to know how the hell i lost my drivers to start with?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
interesting--whatever it was also shut off my avast firewall

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Your not alone . My system has done a bunch of weird stuff also .
Good to see you able to get it runnin right again.