Hannibal...the series. WHY?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude, you're not an idiot, so, I really need to ask. Why this obsessive fascination with child molesters in your analogies?

Because its next. Its the only one they have not exploited yet. :) When it comes, then perhaps people will start wondering how Dexter and Hannibal got made? I think this is a phase...no long term promise in demented characters and psychopaths...hopefully. :). I think pedophiles and people who prey on children or innocent animals are the lowest of the low who deserve summary execution.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Come on, man. First you saw the pilot then the first two episodes now three? Which episodes of BB or SOA did you watch? The last two I recall you saying you caught a random episode. You can't just jump into the middle of a serial and expect to like it.

The pilot episode, episode 5 and episode 13 of season 1. I couldnt like any of them enough to make me want to see the episodes I missed.

One relates to an internal struggle or conflict. His demon is his urge to kill. His urges are more like a metaphor for addition as he tries to cope with understanding emotions and controlling his urges while balancing a family and a social life. The story is not about a senseless serial killer.

Any murderer who kills multiple times is senseless, regardless of the reasoning behind the killings...IMO. Dexter is a serial killer, but that is just a special category of murderer. Im not seeing why I should be interested in his struggle. But like I admitted, I am in the minority here. :)

You're judgmental, brother. You'll pass judgment on anything or anyone simply based on window dressing.

Thats not fair, bro. :) There is no window dressing needed to be a serial killer. I would watch a cop show which has a cop who hunts and kills serial killers as a vigilante, but I am uninterested in the story from the side of the serial killer. I dont care what makes him tick. And I dont pass judgement on people based on window dressing. I go with what is actually there and ignore the window dressing. In the case of Sons of Anarchy, we are talking about a biker gang made up mostly of ex-cons and gangsters. The window dressing would be the bikes and jackets I guess....but at the root, we are talking about a story of a biker gang. Not interested. How is this passing anything but basic preferences? I prefer white wine to red, beef to pork...are those judgements or preferences?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Because its next.

Honestly, dude. That's just idiotic and you keep making that same idiotic comparison. You could have gone to serial rapist, for example, but, instead, you keep going straight to children and molestation. You have an obsession with demolishing these shows based purely on a premise you simply dislike without ever having watched them (no, "I saw three episodes" doesn't qualify :icon_lol: ) and are fixated with comparing them to child molesting.

I don't like the subject matter of Hannibal, the fact that he's nothing but a senseless homicidal cannibal with a psychiatry degree, but I'm not going to dis the show unless I watch it. I have no opinion on Hannibal. For all I know, it could be the best show ever written. Unless I hear from people I know that it's a masterpiece of writing and storytelling, I'll probably skip it.

Bluce Ree

The pilot episode, episode 5 and episode 13 of season 1.

'Nuff said. You can stop pretending you've seen the show now.

Thats not fair, bro. :) There is no window dressing needed to be a serial killer.

His urge to kill is a metaphor from which the story makes social commentary. Window dressing.

I would watch a cop show which has a cop who hunts and kills serial killers as a vigilante, but I am uninterested in the story from the side of the serial killer. I dont care what makes him tick. And I dont pass judgement on people based on window dressing. I go with what is actually there and ignore the window dressing.

Should I link the thread where you made asinine judgments about my choice of friends because of past affiliations or where they once were and not who and what they are now?

In the case of Sons of Anarchy, we are talking about a biker gang made up mostly of ex-cons and gangsters. The window dressing would be the bikes and jackets I guess....but at the root, we are talking about a story of a biker gang. Not interested. How is this passing anything but basic preferences?

Wow. So, you deemed the show unwatchable even though you don't have any idea what this show is about. You judged the window dressing.

I prefer white wine to red, beef to pork...are those judgements or preferences?

Did you look at pork and red wine through a TV screen and decide they suck?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You're overreaching with your assumptions.

Dude, you smoke pot. You even grow it at home. If you lead with that, by most people's standards, that's enough to write you off as a drug addict and be done with you. However, if they took a moment to get their heads out of their asses and get to know you, it's a completely different story. You're intelligent, articulate, professional, generous, fun and generally a really good person.

These shows don't glamorize the subject matter. Walter White does not become a drug kingpin living in a mansion with fast cars and women around him. Dexter doesn't dawn a cape and the serial killer persona is not adored and beloved by those who know of him. SOA does not make one want to run out and join a biker gang. It's just really good story telling.

Thanks for the compliments. But really bro....you dont have a problem with this?:

dexters3-trailer.jpg

If not, would you also be okay with something like this? (fictional...I made it)

serial-rapist.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Honestly, dude. That's just idiotic and you keep making that same idiotic comparison. You could have gone to serial rapist, for example, but, instead, you keep going straight to children and molestation. You have an obsession with demolishing these shows based purely on a premise you simply dislike without ever having watched them (no, "I saw three episodes" doesn't qualify :icon_lol: ) and are fixated with comparing them to child molesting.

I don't like the subject matter of Hannibal, the fact that he's nothing but a senseless homicidal cannibal with a psychiatry degree, but I'm not going to dis the show unless I watch it. I have no opinion on Hannibal. For all I know, it could be the best show ever written. Unless I hear from people I know that it's a masterpiece of writing and storytelling, I'll probably skip it.

I dont have to eat a whole turd to decide I dont like the taste. :). I dont like Helix either, but I can watch it easier than I can watch Sons of Anarchy. Dexter got a little more attention from me over the run of the show, but it came back to the same issue of the subject matter.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Thanks for the compliments. But really bro....you dont have a problem with this?:

View attachment 29487

If not, would you also be okay with something like this? (fictional...I made it)

View attachment 29488

Not the same, dude. One is a a serial killer channeling his urges into a vigilante and the other is a rapist.

I don't have an issue with the poster because I know the show and I know its context. If the poster were presented standalone with nothing behind it then, yeah, it would be bizarre.

Do you get the context of the poster?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Funny, while you were posting this I was making the picture I posted above. :) Same thing...pick the poison. Child molester, rapist, serial killer, cannibal, necrophiliac, bestiality person, etc. And yeah, the premise is pretty important.

Why bother watching it if you already know who Hannibal is? That is my point...could they ever make something which would allow Hannibal to become palatable to your taste?
Not the same, dude. One is a a serial killer channeling his urges into a vigilante and the other is a rapist.

I don't have an issue with the poster because I know the show and I know its context. If the poster were presented standalone with nothing behind it then, yeah, it would be bizarre.

Do you get the context of the poster?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Not really...I assume Dexter has a kid in the show.

Bluce Ree

Funny, while you were posting this I was making the picture I posted above. :) Same thing...pick the poison. Child molester, rapist, serial killer, cannibal, necrophiliac, bestiality person, etc. And yeah, the premise is pretty important.

:facepalm:

SOA is not about glorifying the biker life. Breaking Bad is not a blueprint to becoming a meth king and living like a rockstar. It's not just the premise but the context as well.

Why bother watching it if you already know who Hannibal is? That is my point...could they ever make something which would allow Hannibal to become palatable to your taste?

Because I've seen Silence of the Lambs and I like to keep an open mind.

Not really...I assume Dexter has a kid in the show.

He has a kid, which has turned his fake life into his real life. The poster suggests Dexter is now balancing real life and family responsibility with his alter ego.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes, picture's NEVER lie, especially in advertising................

Give the bong back to OM will ya??
What the flying HELL does this has to do with the *story* of either Hannibal, or Dexter??
Dexter has AMAZING storytelling, especially at the start. I don't LIKE the subject matter especially, but that does not detract from the skill of the writers. You guys are way too quick to dismiss something as "crap. shit or rooted" simply because you don't like the window dressing.
Frankly, its small minded, and pathetic.

Billions of people do not like sci-fi yet the stories it tells resonate with people, they just don't like the sci-fi window dressing.
I would tell you to grow up, but it's too late for that.

Holy shit dude! :icon_e_surprised:

I honestly don't know where to begin here. Quite simply, you're rationalizing your stance using the most specious of reasoning.

I have watched the show. Dexter is about a psychopath. It doesn't matter that he's a "good" psychopath, the fact remains he is a psychopath. His twisted psychology isn't "window dressing", it is the premise of the show!

The writing can be "skillful" but the fact remains that they are writing about a killer. There is nothing heroic in that. It's just sick, pure and simple.

Small minded? Hardly. Pathetic? Definitely, but not on my end. ;)

The bottom line is that you have a hard on for a show that makes a hero out of a psychopath. The premise has a psychopath as the lead character. The stories have him being examined as a psychopath and have him doing psychopathic stuff. And yes, the advertising truthfully shows him as a psychopath. Obvious psychopath is psychopathic.

Clearly you like shit that's sick and twisted and are doing your best to rationalize it, going so far as to use the "argument from intimidation" tactic of claiming that OM1 and I are "small minded" and "pathetic" simply because we have pointed out the truth of the matter. Nice try. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

I honestly don't know where to begin here. Quite simply, you're rationalizing your stance using the most specious of reasoning.

I have watched the show. Dexter is about a psychopath. It doesn't matter that he's a "good" psychopath, the fact remains he is a psychopath. His twisted psychology isn't "window dressing", it is the premise of the show!

The writing can be "skillful" but the fact remains that they are writing about a killer. There is nothing heroic in that. It's just sick, pure and simple.

The bottom line is that you have a hard on for a show that makes a hero out of a psychopath. The premise has a psychopath as the lead character. The stories have him being examined as a psychopath and have him doing psychopathic stuff. And yes, the advertising truthfully shows him as a psychopath. Obvious psychopath is psychopathic.
Clearly you like shit that's sick and twisted and are doing your best to rationalize it, going so far as to use the "argument from intimidation" tactic of claiming that OM1 and I are "small minded" and "pathetic" simply because we have pointed out the truth of the matter. Nice try. :rolleyes:
--- merged: Feb 28, 2014 at 7:21 AM ---

At least you watched the show, so, I can't fault you for your opinion. Just like Yongjin watched SOA, so, I didn't badger him about his opinion.

Yes, the premise is about a psychopath but the story is far more than a simple serial killer riding his urges to satisfaction. Whether he's a good guy or not is questionable. He kills killers but his motivation is his addiction and not necessarily driven by the need to right wrongs. He tries to justify himself and his actions throughout the series but eventually realizes he is who he is and struggles to find his humanity, which he eventually does in the final episodes just before losing everything.

But, yes, the serial killer is window dressing. The show isn't a gore fest following a mindless serial killer in the first person like some bizarre video game who kills people at random.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:facepalm:

SOA is not about glorifying the biker life. Breaking Bad is not a blueprint to becoming a meth king and living like a rockstar. It's not just the premise but the context as well.

True, it isnt ABOUT that, but that is what they do in the show. They never really demean the lifestyle or put it in a bad light. The audience is supposed to root for the characters...which ones are the "good guys"? From the three episodes I watched, I came away with the feeling that none of these characters were redeemable. They all seemed vile to me. BUT, I understand the idea of honor and brotherhood. I would just rather see these things explored using a different segment of society. Wouldnt a group of truckers who werent ex-cons have done just as well? How about little known groups of brotherhoods like coal miners or lumberjacks?

Because I've seen Silence of the Lambs and I like to keep an open mind.

It was Silence of the Lambs which made me hate Hannibal Lechter. :). When he wasn't killed in the movie, I was jawdropped. Feeding the kid the bit of human brain was over the top.

He has a kid, which has turned his fake life into his real life. The poster suggests Dexter is now balancing real life and family responsibility with his alter ego.

:facepalm: So, Dexter is a serial killer...but he is a family man and otherwise an okay kind of dude? How does that happen?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

How about a show about a vigilante rapist who channels his urges into raping other rapists? That isn't a joke question, I'm quite serious here as I'm using your exact reasoning in formulating the question.

Bluce Ree

True, it isnt ABOUT that, but that is what they do in the show. They never really demean the lifestyle or put it in a bad light.

You really should watch the show, bro. Your criticism wouldn't come off as being clueless blather trying to justify your misplaced distaste. :icon_lol:

John Dillinger's real life story glorifies the criminal life without any fictional alteration. SOA doesn't glorify anything.

The audience is supposed to root for the characters...which ones are the "good guys"? From the three episodes I watched, ...

You can stop there.

It was Silence of the Lambs which made me hate Hannibal Lechter. :). When he wasn't killed in the movie, I was jawdropped. Feeding the kid the bit of human brain was over the top.

I doubt anyone "liked" Hannibal Lechter. It was still a really well written movie and an excellent psychological thrillers.

:facepalm: So, Dexter is a serial killer...but he is a family man and otherwise an okay kind of dude? How does that happen?

Tell me you're joking and that you're just trying to be clever right now. :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Ahhhhh....the fresh breeze of LOGIC AND REASONING! :joy:

plaque.png

I couldn't agree more. Its about a psychopath. Its not about arresting psychopaths or killing them, its about getting to know them. No thanks.

Bluce Ree

How about a show about a vigilante rapist who channels his urges into raping other rapists? That isn't a joke question, I'm quite serious here as I'm using your exact reasoning in formulating the question.

That sounds like a show about consensual sex. Can you truly rape a rapist?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
At least you watched the show, so, I can't fault you for your opinion. Just like Yongjin watched SOA, so, I didn't badger him about his opinion.

Yes, the premise is about a psychopath but the story is far more than a simple serial killer riding his urges to satisfaction. Whether he's a good guy or not is questionable. He kills killers but his motivation is his addiction and not necessarily driven by the need to right wrongs. He tries to justify himself and his actions throughout the series but eventually realizes he is who he is and struggles to find his humanity, which he eventually does in the final episodes just before losing everything.

But, yes, the serial killer is window dressing. The show isn't a gore fest following a mindless serial killer in the first person like some bizarre video game who kills people at random.

#1. The serial killer angle is not window dressing, it is the premise of the show!

#2. The serial killer angle is not window dressing, it is the premise of the show!

#3. Why do you find the examination of psychopathology entertaining?

#4. The serial killer angle is not window dressing, it is the premise of the show!

#5. The amount of gore actually shown within the show is irrelevant. The show is advertised as gory and bolsters the premise of a serial killer being the lead character.

# 6. The serial killer angle is not window dressing, it is the premise of the show! The show is literally about a psychopath. This is not window dressing. You wish to define it as such because you want to defend this show...the one about a psychopath...which you like. :eusa_snooty:

Quite simply, me thinks the lady doth protest too much in this regard. ;)

*And yes, OM1 is right in that the biker angle is not window dressing in SOA. The premise of the show is about biker gangs and the people they affect in their periphery with their biker lifestyle. That is the premise of the show. It would only be window dressing if the entire cast of characters worked in an office building and wore three-piece suits but were members of a poser Harley "biker gang" that met for long rides on sunny weekends that culminated in a stop for ice cream at the local Dairy Queen. :rolleyes:

Bluce Ree

Ahhhhh....the fresh breeze of LOGIC AND REASONING! :joy:

View attachment 29490

I couldn't agree more. Its about a psychopath. Its not about arresting psychopaths or killing them, its about getting to know them. No thanks.

You couldn't agree at all because you haven't a clue what the show is about.

Honestly, brother, just quit. You can end it with "The premise doesn't appeal to me and I won't watch the show" and leave it at that without constantly trying to justify your dislike with asinine analogies and silly assumptions. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You really should watch the show, bro. Your criticism wouldn't come off as being clueless blather trying to justify your misplaced distaste. :icon_lol:

John Dillinger's real life story glorifies the criminal life without any fictional alteration. SOA doesn't glorify anything.

Pilot, episode 5 and episode 13. So, perhaps you could suggest a set of other episodes? Do these people die off and is a new timeline created where they are not ex-cons/bikers/gang members? If not, then what is the point? I get it that you like it, and millions of watchers love this show. They love The Walking Dead too. I just represent the SoA haters side of the argument, that's all. I dont see how watching any more than what I have seen is going to change my perceptions about the show.

You can stop there.

What different would five make? Ten? A whole season? The characters and the premise are the same throughout, isnt it? If not, please tell me where they make the jump into a different reality and I will pick up the show there. :)

I doubt anyone "liked" Hannibal Lechter. It was still a really well written movie and an excellent psychological thrillers.

I agree with that. I was definitely riveted to the character in Silence of the Lambs. But then I started seeing that this character was being developed and was not going anywhere. I knew I would see him again in another movie...never dreamed he would get a TV show.

Tell me you're joking and that you're just trying to be clever right now. :facepalm:

Im not joking...he is a serial killer. So, because he has a kid in the show and has to balance his family life with his serial killing, I am supposed to not remember he is a psychopath?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You couldn't agree at all because you haven't a clue what the show is about.

Honestly, brother, just quit. You can end it with "The premise doesn't appeal to me and I won't watch the show" and leave it at that without constantly trying to justify your dislike with asinine analogies and silly assumptions. :icon_lol:

I watched three episodes. This is what I saw:

I didnt like it. Why does not liking low class scum have to be "asinine"?