Hannibal...the series. WHY?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hannibal has his own series now? :facepalm:. Evidently there are two seasons. Ya know...those who liked Dexter will probably also like this show, if I am right about it being the same sort of formula (I dont know). Take a psychopath/serial killer/pedophile/murderer/assasin/gang member/prison folk, and make them loveable. :tealc_new050: :nono: :confused0006: :eusa_snooty:

http://www.nbc.com/hannibal?cid=Display|Hannibal|8006636|794496|106773650|0&hcoref=Display&WT_srch=794496

I will never watch a single episode. But I had not seen it mentioned here so I thought I would start a thread on it. :) Anybody watching this? If so, why?

Hannibal-TV-Series-Season-2-Poster.jpg

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Why? Silence of the Lambs was enough. There's nothing more to this premise. He's just a psycho who eats people with no redeeming qualities.

And, no, there is nothing a Dexter fan would somehow find appealing about Hannibal. Two completely different characters and stories. This is more along the lines of Jeffrey Dahmer.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The next show will be a late night talk show with Hannibal Lecter and Dexter as co stars (like Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The next show will be a late night talk show with Hannibal Lecter and Dexter as co stars (like Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon).

Why not lets just have a new reality show with the ACTUAL Charles Manson starring in it? :facepalm:. How about a Human Centipede show? Maybe a pedophile show?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Or a late night talk show. My point was to make fun of the whole "serial killer hero" craze.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Or a late night talk show. My point was to make fun of the whole "serial killer hero" craze.

I think the "craze" is limited to Dexter and Hannibal at the moment. :) Dexter was wildly popular. I find that disturbing, but the Dexter character was fiction and we knew that when watching. I personally did not like the show, but millions did. I think Hannibal will enjoy a similar audience. :smiley-015:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's laughable how they try to make Hannibal sexy and appealing to women. Gone is aged, haggard Anthony Hopkins and in his place is a younger, hipper psychopath with an oh-so-sexy smattering of facial hair. :rolleyes:

Bluce Ree

I think the "craze" is limited to Dexter and Hannibal at the moment. :) Dexter was wildly popular. I find that disturbing, but the Dexter character was fiction and we knew that when watching. I personally did not like the show, but millions did. I think Hannibal will enjoy a similar audience. :smiley-015:

The appeal of Dexter had more to do with channeling his urges into a sort of vigilante. He was, in essence, a good guy (relatively speaking) who only killed killers and protected his friends and family. It was an intriguing storyline about a complex character trying to find his humanity. Hannibal just eats people for no reason other than he likes the taste. I fail to find anything "appealing" about Hannibal as a protagonist.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
:lol:
English, I do know how to abuse it :D

Sounds like you need to get out of the house for a bit bro, the exclusive "man cave" can get a little depressing sometimes :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The appeal of Dexter had more to do with channeling his urges into a sort of vigilante. He was, in essence, a good guy (relatively speaking) who only killed killers and protected his friends and family. It was an intriguing storyline about a complex character trying to find his humanity. Hannibal just eats people for no reason other than he likes the taste. I fail to find anything "appealing" about Hannibal as a protagonist.

I could never get into Dexter. Even though he "channeled his urges" to only kill bad guys, he still had urges to kill. Dude was a psychopathic whack job no matter how you slice it. Those insane urges were there, always always there.

Personally I've never understood the value in fictionally examining psychopaths as it's always just an excuse for pointless cinematic gore and insane torture and cruelty -- and blood, lots and lots of fake blood. Again, I see no value in that as it's just demented and offers nothing in the way of edifying or entertaining the (sane) viewer.

Bluce Ree

I could never get into Dexter. Even though he "channeled his urges" to only kill bad guys, he still had urges to kill. Dude was a psychopathic whack job no matter how you slice it. Those insane urges were there, always always there.

Personally I've never understood the value in fictionally examining psychopaths as it's always just an excuse for pointless cinematic gore and insane torture and cruelty -- and blood, lots and lots of fake blood. Again, I see no value in that as it's just demented and offers nothing in the way of edifying or entertaining the (sane) viewer.

I agree with the second part in regards to characters like Hannibal. Dexter wasn't a gory bloodfest, though. We never see any really graphic scenes, which I suppose was intentional to keep the viewer focused on the character development and story.

Bluce Ree

:lol:
English, I do know how to abuse it :D

Sounds like you need to get out of the house for a bit bro, the exclusive "man cave" can get a little depressing sometimes :(

Did I mention my car got smashed? Some old lady came at me from the left side and smashed the left side door, fender, wheel and the suspension. The car isn't totaled but it wasn't drivable.

My insurance sent me to the Lexus dealership near me that specializes in complete restoration of total losses. In the mean time, they gave me a Lexus GS Hybrid to drive around. I gotta say, I'm having fun with this car! I dare say this car is BMW class in comfort, layout and technology. On Eco mode the gas needle doesn't move and in gas mode the car tears out like a bat out of hell. :icon_lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I agree with the second part in regards to characters like Hannibal. Dexter wasn't a gory bloodfest, though. We never see any really graphic scenes, which I suppose was intentional to keep the viewer focused on the character development and story.

Dexter may not have been a gory bloodfest but it certainly was advertised as such:

Dexter-dexter-26095020-1280-800.jpg

dexter.jpg

Dexter.jpg

Dexter.jpg

dexter-wall1.jpg

*Demented, thoroughly demented. The pictures don't lie.

Bluce Ree

They suggest a theme. He was a psychopathic killer, after all. But the show wasn't really graphic or gory.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They suggest a theme. He was a psychopathic killer, after all. But the show wasn't really graphic or gory.

Yes, the theme they suggest is demented psychopathology. How is this at all entertaining?